Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
You're assuming a 10 person team has the ability to churn out quality patches every several days.

Raapys

Arcane
It's not 'quality patches' I'm talking about, it's hotfixes that fix singular issues that prevent players from completing the game. You don't mix it in with the other non-critical issues(those need to go through QA to make sure they don't introduce new bugs), you get your best guy on it and get it done asap.

The great irony here is that the first, unpatched version was completable and had a proper stacking inventory, so 1.3 is actually more severely bugged than 1.0.

Puteo

Learned
It's not 'quality patches' I'm talking about, it's hotfixes that fix singular issues that prevent players from completing the game. You don't mix it in with the other non-critical issues(those need to go through QA to make sure they don't introduce new bugs), you get your best guy on it and get it done asap.

The great irony here is that the first, unpatched version was completable and had a proper stacking inventory, so 1.3 is actually more severely bugged than 1.0.

If your code is just a big mass of spaghetti; like pretty much all code made by amateurs; then small changes like that can be a tall order to fix.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
KILL YOURSELF RETARD!!!!

IMms6KB.png

Raapys

Arcane
If your code is just a big mass of spaghetti; like pretty much all code made by amateurs; then small changes like that can be a tall order to fix.
Yah, but it's their spaghetti. It's fixing other people's spaghetti that's really tough.

KILL YOURSELF RETARD!!!!
And without that mess, people wouldn't be playing it at all. Like what's happening with Insomnia.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yah, but it's their spaghetti. It's fixing other people's spaghetti that's really tough.

Once your code is old enough, it's does not matter if you wrote it. Also the issue with big codebase (spaghetti or not), it's that side effects are pain in the ass.

//When I wrote this, only God and I understood what I was doing
//Now, God only knows
https://stackoverflow.com/a/316233

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have scarce info about the situation.

There were disputes with the publisher, some people left the team and the guys supporting it now are not the ones who actually coded the game in the first place. That's what I figured from what I've heard and won't speculate any further.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I have scarce info about the situation.

There were disputes with the publisher, some people left the team and the guys supporting it now are not the ones who actually coded the game in the first place. That's what I figured from what I've heard and won't speculate any further.

Fuck. I was afraid of this but in retrospective it's the only thing which makes sense.

My own post from 20 Oct:
My guess is that there is something happening behind the scenes (between the publisher and the devs) and these delays are simply insincere and dishonest towards their customers. This is no longer a case of rookies mistakes and honestly it doesn't matter who's fault it is: the most supportive people for this game/devs got the shaft.

:negative:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's the only explanation that makes sense. Hotfixing game-breaking bugs can be done in a matter of hours. No developer would ignore such bugs in the release month unless the publisher is in the way (see Bloodlines) or they lost the programmer.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
It's the only explanation that makes sense. Hotfixing game-breaking bugs can be done in a matter of hours. No developer would ignore such bugs in the release month unless the publisher is in the way (see Bloodlines) or they lost the programmer.
Did you play the game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Did you play the game?
I didn't have time yet (too busy) but it's on my list.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jinn

Arcane
I'm kind of having a bit of a moral dilemma. I was considering posting a thread on the Insomnia steam forums about this situation with the original coders no longer being around, and what that means about the future of the game, but I don't know if it's really good form.

I think I'll wait and see what this "news" about the next patch will be next week. It's shitty that's how the situation went down, but this adds a whole new layer of strange deceit to the game's release. And we're now 6 weeks post release with a game that is still barely playable, which is some straight up bullshit.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane

The game is very playable and functional,still it have some annoying bugs.

There are tons of reports of mainline quests still being broken, inventory UI is a huge part of the game and absolutely garbage, the ending is unfinished, there is still tons of untranslated text, the FPS in populated areas caps out at about 30-40 on my mid-higher end system (which fluctuates and stutters due to no fps limiting being available), still no actual numerical representation of XP, broken walls in several places that the player can walk into and fall for infinity, plenty of unexplained systems and game mechanics, etc. To me, for a game I payed near full price for, this is barely playable.

You're one weird motherfucker when it comes to how you pick and choose products to bitch about, especially when it comes to bugs and technical issues. My problem is less with that these problems are present, but more that there is still no solid progress in improving the game. In fact, the game seems to be in worse shape now than release day. Also, I bought the game. Something tells me you did not.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also, I bought the game. Something tells me you did not.

:M
Bigot :lol:
Did you buy the game though.

Are you serious? :)

He doesn't buy games.
I buy games,but rarely. Not enough money to scramble on every ok rpg that run past me.

ERYFKRAD ,to answer you question. No,but i haven't even finish it yet. Will wait for it to be finished patched.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I'm kind of having a bit of a moral dilemma. I was considering posting a thread on the Insomnia steam forums about this situation with the original coders no longer being around, and what that means about the future of the game, but I don't know if it's really good form.
Their community manager is (now) an employee of HeroCraft. The topic potentially has a flavor of "evil publisher drained the life out of poor devs" and I doubt he (his company) will tolerate this (ignoring at best).

Telling the truth would be better for everyone. But it had to be articulated much earlier (if at all possible). Now it can lead only to a bigger shitstorm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom