Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

Fairfax

Arcane
Also, when PoE2 didn't hit the hoped-for numbers, Obs. did terminate their head of marketing as a result (this isn't drama, it was a pre-existing goal set into the hiring contract, as I understand it).

Was that the dude who hosted some of those PoE 1 panels?
No, this guy. He did the PoE2 AMAs on Reddit IIRC.

Wonder if Microsoft want to buy a bridge?

They did... a bridge to Eora, and all its lucre. Oh, Phil.
Unless they didn't buy Dark Rock Industries. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
qNbuVzA.jpg

* Chris Parker has been - ughhhh, Nick you had a chance - identified as the next, best EP for this shitshow. Be stronger, Nick. Fight for your love of games. Fight for Obsidian.

Chris, don't ruin it by revealing Nick's cover. He is the Kodex Kult sleeper agent we deploy in times of direst need when the light of the NEXT TURN BASED GOAT RPG is threatened. He will save us from "Groundperimeter: Totally Not Skyrim" but only once Cain and Boyaski are safely out of the building to ensure their safety in the ensuring chaos.

Harkin Hails

Novice
Oh man, to be bundled up with inXile, that must've hurt.

Lionhead, Westwood, Ensemble.. Obsidian+inXile.. Pandemic

Anyway, looking forward to their ground-breaking mobile games.

2house2fly

Magister
I hope they did; I don't much care about how the buyout affects theoretical Obsidian projects which could get canceled tomorrow if Feargus has a sore stomach from too much cheesecake and gets in a shouting match with the publisher; my only stake is that they could potentially pump some money into PoE2 and fund some more patches and improvements

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Story time. Before I became one of the owners at Obsidian, I tried my luck at acting career. I actually have an uncredited cameo in Lord of The Rings: Return of The King. I play the battering ram with which orcs are banging on the gates of Gondor.

So stay assured, Feargus can't break me.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Story time. Before I became one of the owners at Obsidian, I tried my luck at acting career. I actually have an uncredited cameo in Lord of The Rings: Return of The King. I play the battering ram with which orcs are banging on the gates of Gondor.

So stay assured, Feargus can't break me.

Grond.

I hope they did; I don't much care about how the buyout affects theoretical Obsidian projects which could get canceled tomorrow if Feargus has a sore stomach from too much cheesecake and gets in a shouting match with the publisher; my only stake is that they could potentially pump some money into PoE2 and fund some more patches and improvements
Why would MS fund patches for a game they didn't make, with pre existing contracts preventing them from profiting from this injection of funds? Plus they'd have to drastically overhaul the game in order get some more sales due to PoE2 being a pile of dogshit worthy of sitting next to Dungeon Siege 3.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Imagine Chris Parker's Skyrim, fused with Far Cry and Assassin's Creed (pushed by MS), one game to rule them all. Produced by Fargo. Directed by Parker and Ferg. Balancing by Sawyer. QA by BT4 testers.

Need I go more?

The Bishop

Cipher
I'm sure Microsoft is going to give their new studios complete creative freedom and provide virtually unlimited funding. After all both inXile and Obsidian proved again and again that they know exactly what to do with that freedom by releasing one huge hit after the other. Also it's known that big corporate capital is accumulated by being charitable and giving away huge piles of money just to be nice.

Quillon

Arcane
So it's slightly worse than that. Forget BG.

The indications from Obs. is that Chris Parker is calling the shots for the next "AAA" project (his shallow take: "hey, I get to make Skyrim!"), so I'm already done even if ol' "hope my employees guess frame of mind today" Chris Parker's management style wastes countless dollars and time. (To his defense, he learned this shit-stained argument from Fergie McFerg who would change his mind on a daily basis and not tell anyone - but what I can't condone from Parker is how pig-eager he embraced it, and also, how he was the best person to... "realize" it. Cue sad trombones - all of them, everywhere.)

But in terms of money vs. time: MS has the former (dollars) to spare... the best part, is the secondary part, time, which is a FAR more rare resource for MS.

Eventually, regardless of terrible producer/exec producer* demands, you need to deliver on something players want/may want... and I'd never want to play a Chris Parker-inspired game, esp. if it was one Fergus agreed to... without profanity.

If this is unavoidable/if history's gonna repeat; I hope MS won't cancel it before release, despite its issues AP was worth playing :D

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So Obsidian and inXile will now be stuck making the same games over and over. Wonder when the Forza rpg by Obsidian will come out or inXile's Torment : Gears Of Banjokahalo will release?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So Obsidian and inXile will now be stuck making the same games over and over. Wonder when the Forza rpg by Obsidian will come out or inXile's Torment : Gears Of Banjokahalo will release?
Both of those sound better than Brian Fargo Presents Wastelands 2

Though, ironically, the Forza people are already making an RPG, so Obsidian's safe on that front.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Both of those sound better than Brian Fargo Presents Wastelands 2

Though, ironically, the Forza people are already making an RPG, so Obsidian's safe on that front.
Brian Fargo is a faggot

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wouldn't terribly mind Halo isometric RPG, to be honest. At least it's sci-fi so it has that going for it. Plus there's probably a lot of lore to draw from in all of the accompanying books and other merchandise produced over the years.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Check out the Phoenix Point thread here on Codex if you want to see what Microsoft money does to a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom