Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Leviathan has been fed. Cue in digestion and eventual excretion.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It's interesting how inXile also managed to get sold, given that in all their years in existence they haven't produced a single notable game, maybe except WL2.

This leads to my hunch that both companies were firmly in the distressed/debt-ridden company territory and Microsoft picked them up for cheap.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

Well, if it's Win10 exclusive or only sold with MS copy protection I'm not interested. For better games? Well, time will tell.

Fargo selling InXile after two tanked games is a smart move. At least W3 will be funded then. I just wonder if Krome can somehow profit from this. Classic W1 from Krome still a thing then?

Regarding rpgs we really has a lot of incline in the last years even with some big hits. I have more games than I can play. It's just that not every rpg came from the developers we thought it would come from or the game weren't exactly what we expected.

But even those were overall of good or acceptable quality (Even RoA HD 1+2 are of value even if crudely made). Especially when you compare it to the years before where we had literally NOTHING new.

There are lots of indies who delivered some good and unique work (Vigilante, Hero-U, Bard's Tale Remastered, Dead State, Elex, Lurking 2, Star Traders, Underrail, Grimoire (?), Age of Decadence and a lot more I guess I missed ...). And some rpgs are still in development (Stellar Tactics, Pathfinder Kingmaker) or get expanded (Star Trader).

What we can learn from it is that Kickstarter-like funding isn't the savior but just another way to get funds into the pockets of developers to allow them to (hopefully) make a good game we like and/or get us some physical goodies. There are no guarantees.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm a fan of inXile and if the alternative meant bankruptcy I take Microsoft. They'll probably get demoted to shovelling first console and then mobile shit eventually but hopefully they'll be allowed to make some more RPGs before then, at least one or two. Still worth it.

Don't care about Obsidian, never have.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmm...I still wanted POE2 and BT4 and eventually WL3 on Steam or GoG thanks to Humble Bundle bargain bin sale.... If they are with M$ now, then won't their stuff get pulled from other distribution platforms or not come out on them and I'll have to rely on the Windows store shit?

:negative:

Guess I'll have to dust off my piracy skills again and...

:dealwithit:

soulburner

Cipher
Oh yeah, no Steam sales, no GOG sales, no bundles, no Linux, only Windows Store exclusive, encrypted and unmoddable UWP applications.

Question: how many cases of Microsoft shutting down a recently acquired studio were there in the past? How quick was MS to kill a recent acquisition?

acer palmatum

Scholar
Well, they have to make VERY good games that I even consider using that damn Windows Store. Not sure if more money helps making better RPG-games, history says clearly "nope". I hope for the best, but am prepared for the worst.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
In general I would agree with you, but I rather not infect my system with Microsoft store cooties

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Does Microsoft have to disclose how much it paid for the two companies?

Bought out their debts, probably.

There goes your "renaissance", ever pathetic, ever fools.
I was getting fed up with these oldschool RPGs anyway, I'm longing for some good old mainstream action RPG games again. :M

On a more serious note.
I have a confession to make. Although I seriously want to sound upset and play the usual Codexian persona regarding this news, if I look deep into my heart, I feel kinda releived. Although I liked InXiles and Obsidian's new games, I always felt that they are on a bad path regarding their design. They are not like Iron Tower Studios, or Styg, who are commited to make these really old school RPGs. They want to make "kinda-oldschool" RPGs, but with as many modern touch as possible, because they wanted a huge success, wanted to broaden the audiance. And it felt bad. I liked their games, but they left some sour taste in my mouth. But despite this, I felt obliged to support them, because they were an indie developer, who made alright/good games.

But now, I feel that I don't have to do that anymore. I will look forward to their games, but it is Microsoft's job to look after them, not mine.

So thank you InXile and Obsidian, thanks for all the fish, I hope this will turn out good for you. :salute:

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whoa! All this happened while I slept?!

Anyway, what will happen to the Pillars IP and Dark Rock Industries?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom