Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
See, this is why I didn't actually respond to your post initially; you're so clearly fucking retarded. Nothing I said remotely implied that "all the fun happens at 0 xp"
Luckmann said:
that actually sounds pretty much exactly like WFRP2 should be played.
This was your quote in response to me saying that, without exaggeration, all of my games have been about 0 XP Ratcatchers who die before they can have any sort of progress because WFRP2 can be easily twisted into a shit system for pretentious roleplay. How did you
As for the noble shitting on you, that's par for the course. Nobles are shit. They're meant to shit on you.
At the point where the envelope is pushed to the point where PCs don't have any reasonable need to actually do anything for anyone, which kills the entire vibe of multiple adventure hooks and campaigns that WFRP2 would be lovely with?

"Agreeing to disagree" is the faggots way out. It doesn't mean anything other than "I can't defend my position, but I'll still keep it and pretend that you're wrong".
No, it was a polite way to suggest that I don't think this discussion is going anywhere.

That is at least part of it, but yes, which begs the question why you felt a need to misrepresent the criticism and plant a strawman to begin with. :smug:

How, I must ask, I have I refused to acknowledge anything of the sort? I haven't even discussed 5e, or even anything tangentially related to 5e, and I haven't even touched upon any specific class elements whatsoever, of any edition. You're just pulling this straight out of your ass, likely in an attempt to divert the topic.
No, but what am I supposed to say in a debate about how 4E is literally shit and unsalvagable? By putting forward examples of good things it inspired or brought into the spotlight (vide the Book of Nine Swords' design choices) and that were reprised in a system that has been considered a great success. You can't first say that 4E was shit and history vindicated it and then go on a diatribe about how 5E's popularity doesn't mean it also isn't shit. WFRP2 is more popular here than D&D - or it was when I played WFRP2 - which doesn't mean anything, I can see past the (over)exposure to it.

Your time playing 4e is really quite irrelevant
So is yours or James Wallis'.
I'm really not sure what you're not getting here. Yeah, I enjoy 3.5 and PF and think that parts of them can be fun, for a variety of reasons as stated.
I like it, but it's shit. Like, guys, I really like running it and I really like what this game does with certain things and the itches it scratches, but it's shit. I can name so many things that this game does right, but it's shit. You keep stating that in various ways throughout this entire post in a thread about Pathfinder. It makes it really hard to discern an uniform opinion about it, and whether you shouldn't be playing some more "elite" system.
"4e is the Final Fantasy Tactics system" is more or less the only non-retarded thing you've said. And nobody in their right mind would call Final Fantasy Tactics a good RPG.
Not in the mood for a "what is an RPG" thread or discussing why I think you aren't correct here.

By the time any online features were relevant, the old D&D fans, fueled partially by WotC's behaviour and many already being part of Paizo's core (due to Dragon Magazine and similar things, which became a complete shit-show when it went in-house) had already kicked 4e to the curb for systemic, conceptual and thematic reasons.
Except 4E still had an impressive lifetime for a "failed" system.[/QUOTE]

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Codex is basically based on praising great but heavily flawed things, what are you on about
Luckmann's attitude is like he thinks he's ashamed of defending Fallout 3 because it's really good at letting you walk, explore and shoot.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Codex is basically based on praising great but heavily flawed things, what are you on about
Luckmann's attitude is like he thinks he's ashamed of defending Fallout 3 because it's really good at letting you walk, explore and shoot.
Why would I be ashamed to say that? Fallout 3 is really good if all you want to do is walk, explore and shoot, and nothing else. It's still shit.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Is the game still broken miss or did the patches fix most of it ?

The bug line in the sand has moved up chapters. I think maybe chapter 5 at this point? But some things are not buggy so much as need to be gone over to smooth out the math, i.e. kingdom management and the encounters in endgame chapters need numerical tweaks either in stats/DCs or timing and things like that. The Beta did change some issues of timing in the Kingdom Management, it used to be if an event spawned at the end of the month it was unwinnable as it got closed out due to the month change before you could do its time frame. That sort of bad math.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Is the game still broken miss or did the patches fix most of it ?

The bug line in the sand has moved up chapters. I think maybe chapter 5 at this point? But some things are not buggy so much as need to be gone over to smooth out the math, i.e. kingdom management and the encounters in endgame chapters need numerical tweaks either in stats/DCs or timing and things like that. The Beta did change some issues of timing in the Kingdom Management, it used to be if an event spawned at the end of the month it was unwinnable as it got closed out due to the month change before you could do its time frame. That sort of bad math.
The only bugs I encountered in Chapter 5 on version 1.0.16 were related to
recruiting allies in Pitax:
1. I killed the River Pirate leader but she survived and was willing to help me
2. I talked to the drug dealer at Rushlight but he wouldn't talk to me in Pitax
3. If I talked to Annamede, whether I sided with her or not, the guards would attack as soon as I re-entered the main square of Pitax
4. After I killed Irovetti and returned to the capital, everyone from Pitax acted like we had made an agreement, whether we actually did or not.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Found a nice little callback in Thousand Voices,
you can tell the Priest of Pharasma he should lay the restless souls to rest at the cursed village near the Swamp Witch's hut :incline:

Israfael

Arcane
Just about to start Chapter 6 (well, i already went into the portal, but somehow both Nok-Nok and Jewbelost got fingered, despite me finishing both their quests). Some questions, probably basically to Shadenuat
1) Someone was talking bout 'skipping whole chapter' - is it still a thing or even an issue? About 50-55 days before curse part vii expires, Linzi summoned everyone and basically told us that there's a portal in thousand voices. Starting from that day, lots of cards with fey problems started to appear (around 8 cards in 2 days). I promptly went to the castle of knives, killed the fey dragons (whatever their name is), got into the portal with 40+ days left. Did i miss anything or it's how I'm supposed to roll? I had some crusaders joining me and it seems the quest was not resolved (along with hellknights)
2) after going into portal, i've skipped all hostile mobs, and met Volly, Harrim, Jewbelost and Nok-Nok (haven't gone further) - first two survived (and harrim apparently 'died' on his own volition but chickened out), other two were FoDded with no possible res. I went in blind, with exhaustion debuff and not optimal gear (i can easily get extra +10 fort for nok-nok). Is it possible to fish out save and not get them gibbed (don't really care about the jew, but I need nok-nok cause MCA and he's actually the best dps in my party)?
3) Does this whole thing even matter? I mean, if it's chapter 6, then there should be an extra chapter, so getting half the team killed isn't really nice.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Hmm i can get some points of strenght,if you are dex based build its not bad to dump str to 7?
Also whats with all the rage of the feat that allows you to have extra attacks of opportunity?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
If you make a fighter type and pick a lawful alignment, perhaps consider 1 lvl traditional monk dip? It's a full BAB class so you don't lose much if anything plus you can pick crane style for better defensive fighting and get +5 will saves. Sounds like a good deal.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How to increase will saves for fighter?dip 1 into paladin?
You'd need at least 2 Pal levels for that. And decent Charisma with items.
Other dip that helps a bit with Will and provides access to some free feats, including unlocking the potent defensive Crane Style, is Traditional Monk.

Hmm i can get some points of strenght,if you are dex based build its not bad to dump str to 7?
Also whats with all the rage of the feat that allows you to have extra attacks of opportunity?

Yeah, 7 Strenght would be a major pain. You want to carry your equipment and preferably stay in Light Encumbrance area with a Dex based character.

As for AoOs, there's a ton of opportunities for them in P:K. Whenever you stand next to someone (or near 3 dudes, which is easy with long reach), who wants to shoot a bow or x-bow, you get one. Sucks when there are 3 of them and you only get a single AoO this round. When you are next to a nasty caster who failed his Defensive Casting check (admittedly doesn't happen that often as with my own casters). When you or your animal companion tripped someone, everybody gets an AoO when he's getting up. If you've got Greater Trip, you also get an AoO when he's falling down.
Then there are feats like Rogue Opportunist, which gives him a free AoO once per round, whenever one of your companions hits an enemy in your range.
Then there is Teamwork feat Seize the Moment, which allows characters with the feat (needs Improved Critical) to get free AoOs, whenever their companions (with the same feat) score a crit on an enemy in range.

In P:K you can build characters around the concept of AoOs. Of course, Combat Reflexes and at least somewhat decent Dex is mandatory. Then you'd want high damage per hit and high accuracy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom