Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware VR: Finally worth it?

If you had $1000, what would you buy?

• VR headset and accessories

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • ultra-wide gaming monitor

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • another piece of hardware (comment below)

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • an hour with two sluts (kingcomrade)

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd buy it to play a proper Elite sequel.
Too bad Elite Dangerous is still shit.
Maybe when they patch it up far enough and finally add atmospheric landings I'll change my mind and buy a VR set just for that game. But the pointless grind, gimmicky galactic politics and faction interactions plus the overall shitty quality of missions right now don't exactly inspire hope that this game will at some point be gud.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The technology changes

but the games will remain shit

all of what VR manages

is jerkin my dick for a bit

Dexter

Arcane
Swampy_Merkin said:
fork said:
racing games

Really? Tell me more...
Dirt Rally in some Group B killing machine that's near impossible to handle would be far cooler.

Aside from Dirt Rally, Project CARS and Assetto Corsa are the most popular:

It's mostly Sim Racing stuff though, not that many "Arcade" titles. The closest on PC is probably Redout: https://store.steampowered.com/app/517710/Redout_Enhanced_Edition/

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Those games are fine but I am not a fan of tarmac racing. I grew up with rally and it's what I love best. There's not as much thrill in circuit races for me since it's basically entirely about just keeping a clean racing line, and that's it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was watching old commercials and this made me wonder if VR will make retro movie B/W games.

Maybe I wanna be Godzilla and fight monsters.

Venser

Erudite
Fuck played through whole PSVR demo collection yesterday, spent over 5 hours straight in VR. Felt barely any motion sickness during it but today I feel sick. I walked out of my house and was super sensitive to light, could hardly face the direction of the sun, wished I had sunglasses on. Fuck I hope it passes.

Venser

Erudite
When is Gaben releasing the big AAA high production values Valve VR game? The weight is getting too much.

Who knows but the images of new Valve's prototype just leaked a few days ago. According to independent sources this is in fact a Valve HMD, it has 135 degrees FOV (instead of current 110 on HTC) with the Vive Pro resolution and it should come bundled with Knuckles controllers as well as a Half-Life based VR game.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-135-vr-headset-half-life/

0qFxITN.jpg

6yke2mi.jpg

meT0Ibs.jpg

3uywP0M.jpg

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I want new games to play, not new hardware to buy. This makes me more anxious, since when the inevitable big VR game from Valve comes out, it might not work very well on my Oculus Rift and be tailored to their new expensive machine instead.

Dexter

Arcane
When is Gaben releasing the big AAA high production values Valve VR game? The weight is getting too much.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rift-vive-vr-general.109448/page-4#post-5877168

I want new games to play, not new hardware to buy. This makes me more anxious, since when the inevitable big VR game from Valve comes out, it might not work very well on my Oculus Rift and be tailored to their new expensive machine instead.
They've supported every HMD (even the Off-brand ones) so far through SteamVR, I've been playing lots of Steam games with the Rift, there's no reason to believe they'll change anything about that and start locking in to their own hardware. The new Knuckles Controllers are also very close to the Oculus Touch ones with some added complexity, so I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible.

They've even developed a Skeletal Input engine to make sure that movements translate to all available Controller solutions: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1690421280625220068

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i dunno, i always have this idea of selling VR recording/live streaming of concert/event venues. basically you get a bunch of HD VR equipment, then negotiate a deal with event organizers/record labels/artist then deal with streaming services like netflix. you sell them in more expensive tag for access to live stream , cheaper recordings of VR concert, etc. you also record in different seats, sell recording from VVIP seats with more price tag, economy seat for even less and for course the price tag is far lower than physically going to concerts.

you advertise it as experiencing concert right in your home, or even somehow get cinema theaters to have a smaller studio for VR, and have people buy virtual concert tickets in cinemas, which the main appeal is of course for example make people feel they can experience their favorite musician's show in dublin while they live in ontario, etc.

Jigawatt

Arcane
i dunno, i always have this idea of selling VR recording/live streaming of concert/event venues. basically you get a bunch of HD VR equipment, then negotiate a deal with event organizers/record labels/artist then deal with streaming services like netflix. you sell them in more expensive tag for access to live stream , cheaper recordings of VR concert, etc. you also record in different seats, sell recording from VVIP seats with more price tag, economy seat for even less and for course the price tag is far lower than physically going to concerts.

you advertise it as experiencing concert right in your home, or even somehow get cinema theaters to have a smaller studio for VR, and have people buy virtual concert tickets in cinemas, which the main appeal is of course for example make people feel they can experience their favorite musician's show in dublin while they live in ontario, etc.
This has been done plenty of times before, at least as early as 4 years ago with the GearVR (you needed the 'innovator' version that came before consumer release), most notably by Coldplay and Paul McCartney (separately) as early adopters. Technology side is quite straightforward, just hook up a 360 video player to a live stream captured by a 360 degree camera - easy. Selling different seats for different prices might be a bit of a stretch though.

Unfortunately it seems the modern incarnation has Oculus (read: Facebook) trying to shove a bunch of 'social' features along with it, see: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1555304044520126/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom