Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Not to burst your bubble but what's with all this historical RPG revisionism of yours? Human women in 1st edition weren't allowed to have 18/00 in STR. In fact women of most races were capped at lower maximum STR than their male counterparts. You can even see it in computer games from late 80s - no need to go to 70s. Simply play Pool of Radiance or other Gold Box games.

Pen and paper babe. The actual limit was 18/50 for human females, 1000 pound weight limit. There were no AD&D computer games in 1977. So was that late 70s agitprop?

Sorry to pull rank on nerd knowledge, but page 9 of the Player's Handbook makes no distinction for women fighters. If you want 18/50 STR female fighters in the game, there was no rule against it. Don't be too quick to post any fake news ratings without having at least done a cursory research. In 2nd ed there was no limit. Late 80s agitprop?

What were women doing as fighters anyway? Wouldn't they be insulted by NPCs who refused to deal with them because they were supposed to be in the kitchen? Agitprop, I say.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Not to burst your bubble but what's with all this historical RPG revisionism of yours? Human women in 1st edition weren't allowed to have 18/00 in STR. In fact women of most races were capped at lower maximum STR than their male counterparts. You can even see it in computer games from late 80s - no need to go to 70s. Simply play Pool of Radiance or other Gold Box games.

Pen and paper babe. The actual limit was 18/50 for human females, 1000 pound weight limit. There were no AD&D computer games in 1977. So was that late 70s agitprop?

Sorry to pull rank on nerd knowledge, but page 9 of the Player's Handbook makes no distinction for women fighters. If you want 18/50 STR female fighters in the game, there was no rule against it. Don't be too quick to post any fake news ratings without having at least done a cursory research. In 2nd ed there was no limit. Late 80s agitprop?

What were women doing as fighters anyway? Wouldn't they be insulted by NPCs who refused to deal with them because they were supposed to be in the kitchen? Agitprop, I say.
Yes. That's what I said. (Human) women fighters couldn't have STR of 18/00 in first edition as YOU were previously claiming:
Atlantico said:
Yeah what's up with allowing women to have 18/00 STR amirite brahs? Agitprop AD&D ruled by the SJW lefties since the 70s.
PoR was simply copying the pnp ruleset in that aspect. 18/50 was the cap for human women fighters (which is lower than the cap of 18/00 for human men fighters if that needs to be clarified). You are not makings sense, you are agreeing with what I said, and then... I was not doing my research?

Edit: My intention was not really to discuss about... whatever that is what you're ranting about: feminism, "agitprop" and whatanot. Only correcting a small factual error you've made about 1st edition DnD.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Edit: I'm really not interested in that... whatever that is what your ranting about feminism, "agitprop" and whatanot. Only correcting a small factual error you've made about 1st edition DnD.

Well, where I be without you correcting my factual errors - granted they don't change the point I was making, I could just as well have said the 80s and 2nd ed AD&D and you wouldn't have had to correct anything.

Now for me to correct you: It's not I who is ranting about feminism, I'm ranting about something else entirely. Namely the idea that some millennials are pushing, that having females on even footing in all aspects in fantasy is something new and is agitprop in modern games. While in reality it's older than I am. It's really nothing new and in AC:Odyssey it's really nothing special or new that one can choose to be either male or female without it affecting any stats.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Edit: I'm really not interested in that... whatever that is what your ranting about feminism, "agitprop" and whatanot. Only correcting a small factual error you've made about 1st edition DnD.

Well, where I be without you correcting my factual errors - granted they don't change the point I was making, I could just as well have said the 80s and 2nd ed AD&D and you wouldn't have had to correct anything.

Now for me to correct you: It's not I who is ranting about feminism, I'm ranting about something else entirely. Namely the idea that some millennials are pushing, that having females on even footing in all aspects in fantasy is something new and is agitprop in modern games. While in reality it's older than I am. It's really nothing new and in AC:Odyssey it's really nothing special or new that one can choose to be either male or female without it affecting any stats.
Maybe it is "older than you are" and maybe it's not relevant to your point - whatever it was, if you say so.
However having "females on even footing" for a fact is NOT what first edition subscribed to as you claimed. In fact the first edition was... call it "sexist" or whatever in that regard. Its rules made women weaker than men.
No need to change history to make a point if it's a good point as you claim. That's why I called it "revisionism".

Edit: And no need to be bitter about someone correcting a small error. I didn't even do it to be an asshole to You. I just genuinely like precision when talking about history. And yes history of pnp RPG is also history.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
However having "females on even footing" for a fact is NOT what first edition subscribed to as you claimed. In fact the first edition was... call it "sexist" or whatever in that regard. Its rules made women weaker than men.

For all intents and purposes, I was quite correct. The difference between 18/50 and 18/00 in practice is negligible and that would make said female character stronger than basically all men. That's the point.

Edit: And no need to be bitter about someone correcting a small error. I didn't even do it to be an asshole to You. I just genuinely like precision when talking about history. And yes history of pnp RPG is also history.

If you read anything bitter in my post then you're reading something which isn't there, rather I'm pointing out that it doesn't matter one iota whether it was set that way in the 1st ed or the 2nd ed, both are more than 30 years old. Context. It matters.

No need to change history to make a point if it's a good point as you claim. That's why I called it "revisionism".

It was changed in the 2nd ed regardless. Revised, if you will. And if you had read my point, then you'd have realized your correction did not matter in the least, because it doesn't change my point. Either way, the 1st edition pegs women being able to be stronger than 99.77% of men. The odds of rolling 18 and then 51+ are about 0.23%

So yes, they're on equal footing for all intents and purposes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that having females on even footing in all aspects in fantasy is something new and is agitprop in modern games

The devs admitted to this themselves. I thought you were arguing about something else, something related to historical accuracy, but if this is really what you're arguing against then yours is a lost cause. This is not something that they try to hide, it's there for all to see.

EDIT: And you also need to add skin tones and sexual orientation and portrayals of gender politics as well to your list.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I haven't played Odyssey and I don't really care about it, and I don't particularly want to play it. But AC has never, ever, ever been historically accurate. It's hilarious to see people pretend like Ubisoft changing stuff to match what they want is somehow new

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
The devs admitted to this themselves. I thought you were arguing about something else, something related to historical accuracy, but if this is really what you're arguing against then yours is a lost cause. This is not something that they try to hide, it's there for all to see.

What I'm really *really* really arguing against is myopic millennialsm. Whether that comes from the players or the devs, I don't care.

If the devs think they're breaking ground here, they're as stupid as the people raging against them. It's that simple.

Apart from that I'm simply smh over the normies and consoletards who are complaining that AC Odyssey isn't historically accurate - not only is it not pretending to be - AC games never were. Sid Meier's Pirates is more historically accurate than any AC game.

EDIT: And you also need to add skin tones and sexual orientation and portrayals of gender politics as well to your list.

Gays in Ancient Greece? Well allright, you got me there. Agitprop for sure.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
You know very well I don't mean "gays".

Did you mean straight, by sexual orientation? What exactly is the agitprop?

It's not the skin tones, the PCs are both white.
It's not the sexual orientation, gays in Greece etc.
It's not the gender politics, as established by decades of fantasy roleplaying - of which AC Odyssey is a part.
It's not historicity, there is no attempt at it.

What. Are. You. Talking. About?

Where is the agitprop?

Oracsbox

sorry to burst your bubble kiddo but this is all real as hell, especially atlantis

Fair enough. After all, how did the ocean get its name if Atlantis never existed?

The Atlantic is named after the Titan Atlas and refers to the mountains of Atlas in Mauritania from the greek Atlantikos of Atlas and Oceanus from the sea that surrounds the world.First written mention by the historian Herodotus.
Atlantis is a fictional island mentioned in Plato's dialogues Timaeus and Critias he was a philosopher not a historian.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
The Atlantic is named after the Titan Atlas and refers to the mountains of Atlas in Mauritania from the greek Atlantikos of Atlas and Oceanus from the sea that surrounds the world.First written mention by the historian Herodotus.
Atlantis is a fictional island mentioned in Plato's dialogues Timaeus and Critias he was a philosopher not a historian.

There's nothing more retarded than dumbfucks who can't read, like yourself newfag. Thanks for shitting your pants in front of everyone

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm. After initial marathon playing I slowed down and play it here and there when I manage the time.

Level 49, about 70 hours in and with a decent tempo there is still fuckload of content left. Figure I could end the main story in like 5 hours or so, Im at the closure of Act 8 but still I am left with the myth creatures, 18 cultists, epic ships, hercules trials and bunch of story clusters on islands I didnt even visit yet.

Upping the level limit to 70 seems to be a good idea and new free content incoming just keeps it more interesting.
There is a good 100 hours here atleast and more if you focus also on forts and other padding shit they crammed in.

Oracsbox

There's nothing more retarded than dumbfucks who can't read, like yourself newfag. Thanks for shitting your pants in front of everyone

The only dumbfuck I'm seeing is you your lack of a sense of humour and your retarded arguments over a video.

deama

Prophet
So how's the game on PC? Anyone played it and can give me info on fps and the specs?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
To add to this, how are the customization options? Can you change clothes? Hair? Customize face/body?

Phobos

Novice
So how's the game on PC? Anyone played it and can give me info on fps and the specs?
Terrible. I am on a i7 6700k (@4.5Ghz), Rx Vega 64 and play on 3440x1440 with a mix of settings ranging from medium to high, CPU bottlenecked. I cannot get stable 60fps no matter what resolution I play, So I am forced to cap the framerate at half refresh rate or I will have wobbly stuttery shit because the game drops under my 40 fps freesync threshold.
Since the consoles run on DX12 but the PC game doesn't they translate the console commands (DX12 to PC DX11) and this creates massive CPU overhead. Btw, I just spent 30 minutes trying to find the presentation again but with no success, so if someone here has a link pls post it again and correct me if I am wrong. It was some Nvidia software enginner talking about DX12 or so.

Also the ingame fps cap is hot trash, use RTSS or force V-Sync via your GPU drivers software.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
When Unity came out I long since had gotten tired of AC games. Did try it, but the game hardly ran on my pc back then so I uninstalled it and forgot about it. Later on I tried Syndicate, but didn’t really like it. Origins felt like a breath of fresh air and I once again loved it as a virtual tourist to ancient Egypt sim. It had a lot of problems, with level gating being the biggest one for me, but I did enjoy it for 20 or so hours before growing tired of it.

Odyssee seems like it keeps the level gating and bloated enemy HP completely intact. So, I decided to try Unity after hearing that it actually works quite well now that it is patched up. Lo and behold, to my own utter surprise I love it. The French revolution is a great setting that they used to good effect. The crowds are impressive and Paris simply looks and feels stunning. Good animations, the best implementation of the old fighting system and free running that works help. What I really like is how the game went back to basics. Assassinations are the core gameplay with lots of additions and filler for those who want it. Murder and parcour simply work and that’s what I want in an AC. Character development is there, and is based on skills that you unlock with experience. No bloated HP or level gating in sight. Bugs? There are still some, I lost a mission because an npc I followed turned back and got stuck for instance, but that’s the biggest one I saw.

So yeah, I’m actually amazed on how good Unity is. Perhaps the best implementation of the core AC gameplay yet. Shame it was obviously rushed out at the start and thus bombed. This game deserved much better.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Since the consoles run on DX12 but the PC game doesn't they translate the console commands (DX12 to PC DX11) and this creates massive CPU overhead. Btw, I just spent 30 minutes trying to find the presentation again but with no success, so if someone here has a link pls post it again and correct me if I am wrong. It was some Nvidia software enginner talking about DX12 or so.

Indeed, the PC port is a hot mess. I am definitely CPU bottlenecked as well (Vega 64 paired with an FX8350) and I get about 35fps on average with that setup. It's really a mystery why this titles DX11 only and still AMD sponsored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom