Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Rake

Arcane
Shhhh...nobody tell Microsoft that their usual buisness plan of buying up developers and running them into the ground while trying to profit from their last drops of blood, sweat, and fan loyalty won't really work in Obsidian's case because half the community hated POE.
Another poor soul who thinks that Obsidian's community only consists of the Codex. Sssshhh...the game sold a million and people liked it.
So much that they didn't bother to buy the sequel
:troll:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shhhh...nobody tell Microsoft that their usual buisness plan of buying up developers and running them into the ground while trying to profit from their last drops of blood, sweat, and fan loyalty won't really work in Obsidian's case because half the community hated POE.
Another poor soul who thinks that Obsidian's community only consists of the Codex. Sssshhh...the game sold a million and people liked it.

Yes, I'm sure that statistic will ensure Feargus and Fargo will be on par with the Bioware doctors/EA as Microsoft bring the traditional RPG onward to bigger budgets and wider audiences in the future.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
There are a lot of old pnprpgs from the 80s-90s and retro clones that have good systems and worlds that would make great crpgs? Make is happen Micro$oft!

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Plenty of congratulations from other devs, nothing out of Golden Era Games yet though

Reading the twitter of Sirotek and them namedropping Wizardry made me die a little more inside. Didn't think that was possible :negative:

But at least Cleve being so busy breakneck coding V2 that he cant comment gives me hope
:negative:

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Is it really that bad for them ... or anyone on the codex? Most posts people hetr write how bad they are or that they are not the studios they used to be. So if they get closed ... good? I hope not, because at least Obsidian has still some potential.

If we want to compare them with Bioware: most bad decision came teamintern, with EA only providing the money. Developers don't need a publisher to fall to their doom, but what they need is money. Microsoft has money and now it can go either way.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now-kiss.png

Last edited:

Sòren

Arcane
it's beyond my comprehension why anyone would like to acquire inxile. don't know how much they spend on that, but buying a company that ran on ripping of their gullible fanbase on kickstarter and fig is defnitily not a smart decision. that's practically sabotaging their whole business model.

hpstg

Savant
Another thing that came to mind is that Microsoft will most likely want to have Wasteland 3 and whatever is Indiana as launch titles for the new Xbox.

They're not exactly flooded with desirable exclusives, but the next round of the console battle will be brutal, as they seem to finally see how the future of Windows is basically connected with gaming.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It all depends on the terms. Under capitalist relations of production, getting acquired is the desired endgame for most entrepreneurs. That's when you cash in and buy a Lambo (or some other penis extension).
Yeah once you've started a company you should be a slave to it

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm pretty sure this was the endgame Feargus always imagined after watching the BioDoctors retire to a blissful life of making craft beer. He probably got a mere fraction of what they did but it will probably be enough for him to get out and never work again if he doesn't want to once he does his mandatory few years of hanging around. I'm assuming this is also Fargo's retirement as well, just delayed a bit from his original intention.

Will be interesting to see where this leads but I'm presuming gamepass/X-Box/Windows exclusivity will be a given after the PS4 destroyed XBONE with regards to exclusives in this generation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom