Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The End Of The Dark Age

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
The only light i see is - Underrail , AoD and partialy Serpent in the Staglands. Maybe Ceres will join the company:bounce:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I see writing a book is no guarantee for possessing reading comprehension. If you read the part you quoted, you will see that I already listed what you brought up as characteristic of the new period:
Lots of new talent are moving into CRPGs, aided by digital distribution. Tons of new CRPGs published every year, with steadily increasing quality.
I read what you wrote. You listed 2018 as the time it began, just because it has the game you like, despite all those vital characteristics being noticeable since at least 2012.

And I would argue that "they finally made a game in an "old" style that is equal to or better than the greats of the previous era" is a pretty damn significant milestone.

No, it is not, because it's 100% based on your tastes. aweigh here loves Elminage Gothic, a game that's "equal to or better" than old Wizardry. I think Tales of Maj'Eyal is the best roguelike ever made. A lot of people think Path of Exile is the best Diablo-like game ever made. Not to mention the tons of people who think games like The Witcher 3 or DOS2 are some of the best RPGs ever.

Yet you are so fucking self-absorbed that you go "No, the game that I like is the sign of a new era!". Grow up.

So how would you periodize CRPGs?
I wouldn't, because I think it's something masturbatory and extremely short-sighted. All the ups and downs CRPGs went through are the same that the rest of the industry had.

For example, you can place Adventure games and CRPGs side by side and the evolution will be pretty much the same, because it was dictated by the context of the time. The arrival of the Amiga and other new computers in 1985 brought in better graphics, mouse-driven interface, sound and a huge leap in capabilities for all game genres. The death of all mid-sized game companies in the late 90/early 2000s left an oligopoly of a few mega-publishers and had a terrible impact on all game genres. And so on.

Listing those changes is what I did in the book, and it's a lot more interesting and valuable than arguing the subjective quality of games.

Elex

Arbiter
^That's insinuating Age of Decadence and Underrail are part of 'Dark Age', when they're certainly the true harbinger of New Age of Incline, so I disagree with such revision.

You're right, the beginning of incline from 2012-2018 should probably be a special era similar to the High/Late Middle Ages or something. No idea what to call it though. And I don't think it should be part of the Renaissance simply because I don't think its CRPG output was equal to or better than the 'Classical' era.
dark age still mean there is many bastion of knowledge, but the knowledge is generally hard to understand and apply to new stuff, still considered important and worth of keep safe and preserving.

dark age is not an hard reset.

reinassance is based on the proper use and understand of the classics and that mean keep working of the dark age effort of understand and preserve past knowledge.

tl;dr

dark age:“we try but we don’t really get it”

reinassance: “oh finally we get how to understand and improve this stuff!”

My two cents: nowadays, there are so few resources being spent on good quality RPG.

Market is out there for these kind of games, but the issue is that everything became too much cash-centric, no developer talks anymore on how you have to get the most fun out of certain mechanics, but everything is thought in a way to squish all your money\time out of your pockets.

Mechanics that could be fun, now are now grindy, loot box based, or annoying, but people keep playing because they already spent a lot of time in these avenues and they simply can't stop or they would start regretting what they've done. I'm a protagonist of this issue too....

I'll be honest, many people talked about the death of videogames on pc, and in these last years I'm actually thinking that pc is facing a slow but steadily incoming death..
I can find at best a couple of games in a year to be played. And these are at least three years old, because I'm just sick of the fact that I have to betatest every time.... I don't have the time nor the will anymore to go through it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Diablo, Fallout and Daggerfall kicked of the Renaissance or API era. Before and after that, RPGs were and are shit. BioWare claimed BG kicked off the Renaissance, but the Infinity Engine was RTwP (and thus decline).
How is Diablo incline and part of a Renaissance?
Also, if you believe all RPGs before Daggerfall were shit, it makes no sense to call it a "Renaissance" in the first place. :M

I think Lilura put together a bot to maintain her presence on the codex. It works with some things, like “don’t you besmirch the name of [beloved, defunct developer]” but then struggles with others, “newfags newfags everywhere. Especially at Black Isle
Studios” or “I am the leading commentator on the RPG renaissance, which began with... Diablo.”

I’m sure with a little more work she’ll get it right.
What a shame.

(my guess is that she really likes the aesthetic; after all, who didn't?)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so that's what people did before the internet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom