Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Dexter

Arcane
I played the Beta for a few hours in two sessions and got to like ~Level 7. If anyone likes the most boring parts of Fallout 3/4 where you just walk around the map from Point-of-Interest to Point-of-Interest and collect pots, they're probably going to like this. It was mostly boring "Do this thing to progress" stuff and plot progressions seems to happen by reading "E-Mails" on Terminals and notes laying around or listening to left behind audio tapes. The people that are saying there are NO NPCs are wrong, since there are various Servitors that have some choice dialogue and serve as vendors and dispensers.

I definitely had the issues described with Push-to-Talk being activated for everyone, there were people on the phone during character creation talking shit and I don't think they knew other people were listening, then once outside the Vault there were groups of people talking in a variety of different languages like Dutch, German or Portuguese while walking around.

At the end of the 2nd session I was Overencumberedly scuffling about and I didn't really feel like logging in after that anymore, even playing Destiny 2 in CoOp seemed like a better prospect. Funny thing, when I tried deinstalling Fallout 76 after the Beta ended the Bethesda Launcher thing refused and told me I have no access to the game and I had to go ahead and delete all the game files myself, I guess a fitting end.

The map, aside from being relatively boring/empty also felt kinda small(?) for a MMO-ish game even when I think back to previous Bethpizda "Fallout" games, after a few hours I had been through most parts of "The Forest" and half of "Toxic Valley":
Fallout76Map_Update9.png
fallout762018-11-0322k0fqh.png
fallout762018-11-03222ddc6.png
fallout762018-11-0323r4ccd.png
fallout762018-11-0323lzcpj.png
fallout762018-11-0323uaixl.png
fallout762018-11-03238vcay.png
fallout762018-11-0400evftb.png
fallout762018-11-0502gwekz.jpg

fallout762018-11-0503vbime.jpg

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
someone tell them that xdelta exists
Someone should tell that to Ubisoft devs as well. This is how patching on Uplay works.
6yd9zKn.png

See that 15.12.2017? That's when I installed the game.
And guess what? Every time there is a new patch, you have to download all of those patch files (all previous patches) again.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I don't mind marketing Fallout but this is as generic as Fallout 76. "Hey kids, this is the hip cool new game you just got to play! Don't be a fuddy duddy like those people who want a "RPG" experience. Just put your mind on zero percent and have fun as intended"

Hines

Savant
Arkane and id have been helping their fellow Texas-based developer buddies at Bethesda Austin (nee Battlecry studios) ship Fallout 76. Great use of their talents. L M A O!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well why not. Better than lay them off because they have nothing to do at this stage of development of their new games.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Well why not. Better than lay them off because they have nothing to do at this stage of development of their new games.

I'm sure Harvey Smith and a small "strike team" are secretly slaving away on a new project. But yes, it can take years till they reach full-production stage.

Fallout 76 still looks like a waste of time though. I hope it fails to send the message home.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I saw this post on reddit with 60 upvotes. I've never felt so triggered

Ok I will speak here as the fan of the actual originals. People love New Vegas because fans of the OG games love it. I love New Vegas.

But and this is the big thing - NV rides heavily off the nostalgia. Ron Perlman. Bulk of OG devs. Soundtrack has the Cathedral bells in it and the windchimes/flutes of the originals. The color scheme is same. Many characters that are referencing beloved characters show up (Cassidy's daughter Rose for example). NCR is here. Weathered 10mm gun. V13 flask. I was half expecting I would have Vault 13 suit as well upon waking up.

Fo3 met a lot of criticism from OG fans. It is not isometric. It was Oblivion with guns. It was not a Fallout because it was on the east coast. It sucks because it sucks. The story is too simple. The story is too short. The story is boring. VATS sucks.

But in many ways Fo3 is more Fallout that FNV. Fo3 lets you cut to the chase. My first playthrough I never met three dog. I just found the Tranquility Lane by accident. You can do that in Fo1 and go straight to Mariposa. FNV does not let you do that. Fo3 lets you be truly evil. FNV does not let you become the true evil.

So people generally stuck with the opinion of OG fans. But here is the tricky bit - OG fans really wanted multiplayer Fallout for ages. That is why Tactics exists. F:Online was in development before Bethesda bought the IP. A lot of the fans I know were fans since the originals (mostly because I introduced them to Fallout - budget distribution of games in late 90s was based on "who can lend me a CD" basis) absolutely love Fo76. They have fun.

FNV fans became "the OG fans". They do not really understand why they prefer FNV over Fo3 (they know they like it more than Fo4 because of more dialogue) because honestly they do not - others were and they copied the opinion. So they blame story, pretending like Fallout was always superior in the genre (in a genre where Baldur's gate and Planescape Torment existed at the time). Fallout always had pretty crappy story. But good handling of the story was what set it apart. World design and the style was unique. Fo76 handles its story quite well. The world is amazing. The style is fitting. But FNV fans swear that the franchise is dead (it definitely is not - it was dead between 2004 and 2008 if anything) because of 76. They said the same thing about Fo4 and to be fair Fo4 was quite a success. I love Fo4 personally. It is a fun game, the new mechanics like Power Armor being an actual exoskeleton are amazing and I finally felt like a threat to humanity in it. Every Fallout game improved upon its predecessor. I never noticed any step back. Fo4s dialogue is stramlined (and I'd honestly love if you could have better dialogue options and extra raider faction outside of Nuka DLC) for voice acting. I mean... not something I asked for but I ended up liking it and the dynamic it creates while you talk to characters.

There are no OG fans anymore. There are just people who enjoy the games for what they are and people who enjoyed one game out of 7 (ignoring BoS exists) and bitching and moaning. These people want to get FNV remaster. And then they criticise and mock Bethesda for rererereleasing Skyrim in the same sentence. These people generally have no clue what they really want. They do not look into the world of the game and just graze the surface. And they feel offended for not even trying to explore and take in the world.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Ok I will speak here as the fan of the actual originals. People love New Vegas because fans of the OG games love it. I love New Vegas.

But and this is the big thing - NV rides heavily off the nostalgia. Ron Perlman. Bulk of OG devs. Soundtrack has the Cathedral bells in it and the windchimes/flutes of the originals. The color scheme is same. Many characters that are referencing beloved characters show up (Cassidy's daughter Rose for example). NCR is here. Weathered 10mm gun. V13 flask. I was half expecting I would have Vault 13 suit as well upon waking up.

Fo3 met a lot of criticism from OG fans. It is not isometric. It was Oblivion with guns. It was not a Fallout because it was on the east coast. It sucks because it sucks. The story is too simple. The story is too short. The story is boring. VATS sucks.

But in many ways Fo3 is more Fallout that FNV. Fo3 lets you cut to the chase. My first playthrough I never met three dog. I just found the Tranquility Lane by accident. You can do that in Fo1 and go straight to Mariposa. FNV does not let you do that. Fo3 lets you be truly evil. FNV does not let you become the true evil.

So people generally stuck with the opinion of OG fans. But here is the tricky bit - OG fans really wanted multiplayer Fallout for ages. That is why Tactics exists. F:Online was in development before Bethesda bought the IP. A lot of the fans I know were fans since the originals (mostly because I introduced them to Fallout - budget distribution of games in late 90s was based on "who can lend me a CD" basis) absolutely love Fo76. They have fun.

FNV fans became "the OG fans". They do not really understand why they prefer FNV over Fo3 (they know they like it more than Fo4 because of more dialogue) because honestly they do not - others were and they copied the opinion. So they blame story, pretending like Fallout was always superior in the genre (in a genre where Baldur's gate and Planescape Torment existed at the time). Fallout always had pretty crappy story. But good handling of the story was what set it apart. World design and the style was unique. Fo76 handles its story quite well. The world is amazing. The style is fitting. But FNV fans swear that the franchise is dead (it definitely is not - it was dead between 2004 and 2008 if anything) because of 76. They said the same thing about Fo4 and to be fair Fo4 was quite a success. I love Fo4 personally. It is a fun game, the new mechanics like Power Armor being an actual exoskeleton are amazing and I finally felt like a threat to humanity in it. Every Fallout game improved upon its predecessor. I never noticed any step back. Fo4s dialogue is stramlined (and I'd honestly love if you could have better dialogue options and extra raider faction outside of Nuka DLC) for voice acting. I mean... not something I asked for but I ended up liking it and the dynamic it creates while you talk to characters.

There are no OG fans anymore. There are just people who enjoy the games for what they are and people who enjoyed one game out of 7 (ignoring BoS exists) and bitching and moaning. These people want to get FNV remaster. And then they criticise and mock Bethesda for rererereleasing Skyrim in the same sentence. These people generally have no clue what they really want. They do not look into the world of the game and just graze the surface. And they feel offended for not even trying to explore and take in the world.
Such entities exist? Like, really, walking among us?
The world just became that much scarier.

Cael

Arcane

Such entities exist? Like, really, walking among us?
The world just became that much scarier.
I have met much worse. Literally every greenie and/or SJW are dumber and more deluded with self-justification than that one. Bar one, and he just passed away.

Ranarama

Learned
I have met much worse. Literally every greenie and/or SJW are dumber and more deluded with self-justification than that one. Bar one, and he just passed away.

And you just do exactly what that guy did.

Hey guise, group I don't like are terrible, look one person said retarded things like "Crap" so they're all stupid.

Cael

Arcane

And you just do exactly what that guy did.

Hey guise, group I don't like are terrible, look one person said retarded things like "Crap" so they're all stupid.
Oh look! The standard SJW response when facing a dose of reality. How cute. It is so easy to find one of these lurvely critters in the wild that they are becoming a serious pest. Worse than rabbits. At least you can eat rabbits.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Apparently Beth's coders are incapable of properly implenting street dates on the individual servers Todd is so generous and lets everyone play rite nao! People in yurop can play even tho the button tells them "release tomorrow".
The B.E.T.A. progress also carries over. Boy do those filthy newcomers look stupid now since they had no trust in Todd.

Sadly, people have just begun to play, no major drama entertainment yet. Staying tuned. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom