Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inehresa

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My friend is Todd's secret gay lover, he says that next TES is gonna be set in province of Youtube and gameplay will be focused strongly on calls to action and making unboxing videos.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
a74f2cce4f89b39a9a3b8f33f46e1503.jpg

Well, while Gamebryo might not look that great, at least it justifies itself in terms of allowing advanced Radiant AI. While other engines require the AI to analyze and recognize thousands of in-game objects, in Gamebryo there is only one: shiiite.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I can understand why they'd keep the same engine. No new training needed for staff, most of the focus can be put on content etc.

But the engine has always been junk and the content never seems to benefit from the extra focus.

Time until Rockstar Games or some other big dev builds out a sandbox fantasy game with mod support and eats their lunch?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance got halfway there with its gameplay and they'rean indie dev. Mods and an easy to use toolset are the missing ingredient no one seems to grasp. That and giving people enough of a blank slate to do whatever they want with. That's what tightly story and character driven games like Witcher 3 don't have.

The main attraction with Elder Scrolls games is tabula rasa - they're so broken and dumb that you can just forget about the story and piss off to hunt deer or go into a random dungeon for an hour. Adding in mods on top of that only increases the effect and gives the game viral potential as the mods spread all over the internet, increasing demand for the game.

Squid

Arbiter
But the engine has always been junk and the content never seems to benefit from the extra focus.
That's a large problem and with Bethesda's growth they're going to need to step up the graphic fidelity which I don't think Gamebryo/Creation/Creation+ will help enough with. They'll keep lagging behind. It's better to bite the bullet and invest in a new engine in my opinion. I thought they implied that Starfield would be Creation of some sorts but TES VI would be a new thing. I guess that new thing is just another update to the engine.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can understand why they'd keep the same engine. No new training needed for staff, most of the focus can be put on content etc.

Sure but on the other hand they need to evolve otherwise the train will depart and leave them standing on the platform holding their dicks. Seems like they still think it's 2014 and there is no real competition for them. That fans will gobble up whatever they shit out and the press will jizz all over them again.

Problem is it's not 2014 anymore. Witcher 3 and RDR2 embarrassed their writers, AssCreed Origins and ME Andromeda embarrassed their environmental artists and Kingdom Come made laughing stock out of their Radiant AI (and gameplay in general). And if the response to Fallout 76 is anything to go by gamers aren't the same kind of gushing, infatuated fans Bethesda was used to in the post-Skyrim era. Vague murmurs already started with Fallout 4 but now even your standard dumbfuck normie mainstream feedback to Fallout 76 is cold to devastating.

I think Howard is clearly napping on his laurels but I suspect the ratings and sales of Fallout 76 will treat him with a royal serving of ass kicking. Maybe it's too late for Starlink but TES6 could eventually turn out very differently.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Sure but on the other hand they need to evolve otherwise the train will depart and leave them standing on the platform holding their dicks. Seems like they still think it's 2014 and there is no real competition for them. That fans will gobble up whatever they shit out and the press will jizz all over them again.
Well, isn't that true though?

I've been saying for almost a decade that they were ripe to be knocked out of the market, but no one has stepped up to the plate yet.

even your standard dumbfuck normie mainstream feedback to Fallout 76 is cold to devastating.
76 doesn't fit the mold I outlined though. It's a social game, not a moddable autism sim.

FO4 had more criticism than 3 or Skyrim, but fans still ate it up.

It's only when they break their own formula by trying to charge for mods or making a non-autistic game that people start to pick them apart.

Witcher 3 and RDR2 embarrassed their writers
Frankly, almost every game on the market does. Bethesda's writing is even worse than most fanfics.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
With Telltale shuttered, as far as I know MK is out of a job. If he wants back into games...

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The engine stays the same because beth needs modders to fix their garbage. Construction kit didn't change that much since morrowind days and modders are familiar with it so if you'd suddenly change it it would mean modders are kinda left alone

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
With Telltale shuttered, as far as I know MK is out of a job. If he wants back into games...
He still does stuff for TES, pretty much anything memorable from Skyrim was him.
I don't think he'd be a good fit for Fallout, but anything to remove that talentless parasite Emil would be welcome.

DayofBlow

Educated
What was memorable from Skyrim?

I tried to think of a genuine answer but I can't for the life of me remember more than a couple of vague images from Skyrim. I played SE last year.

Only things I can recall is the Sovngarde sequence, one of the Jeremy Soule songs that plays when you fight dragons, the music in the game being undermixed and me having to put it on max to hear said song, and the way Hjörti Börti says High Hrothgar.

That's all that remains of from a 150 hour playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom