Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Draugen - first-person psychological mystery set in 1920s Norway from Dreamfall Chapters devs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.draugen.com

https://af.gog.com/game/draugen?as=1649904300

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/31/tears-for-fears-dreamfall-devs-announce-draugen/

Tears For Fears: Dreamfall Devs Announce Draugen
By Graham Smith on October 31st, 2013 at 9:00 am.

draugen1.jpg

This comes as a surprise. Red Thread Games, the Norwegian studio founded last year by Ragnar Tørnquist with the specific purpose of reducing John to a puddle of shuddering emotion, is making a first-person survival horror game called Draugen.

The studio has thus far been working solely on Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey, the crowdfunded sequel to John’s emotional puberty, since September of last year. Draugen sounds like a considerably different kind of thing.

On the game’s official site, Draugen is described as “a first-person survival horror adventure amongst the mountains and fjords of the Norwegian west coast in the 1920s.” Its story is inspired by Scandinavian folklore, and sees the player exploring a village and discovering clues as to where its population has vanished.

draugen2.jpg

Development of the game is being funded by a $144,000 grant from the Norwegian film institute, and Red Thread are keen to stress that development on Dreamfall won’t be affected by the new project, but that “since both titles are being developed using Unity 3D, tools, technology and knowhow will be shared between the teams, benefitting all.”

The original Longest Journey and Dreamfall were designed by Tornquist while he was at Funcom, the Norwegian developer now mostly focused on MMOs like The Secret World. The new entry in the adventure series comfortably cleared its funding target on Kickstarter last year, netting the team $1.5 million to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
144 thousand dollar grant? That's like 3 people working on it for a year.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Only a 144k grant? That's incredibly cheap considering the wealth those fuckers sit on.

Red Thread are keen to stress that development on Dreamfall won’t be affected by the new project
That's bullshit. Of course it affects the development. Perhaps not by much -- but it does and they are lying.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
looks like dear easter. also has the same habit of using a whole lot of words to say absolutely nothing at all.

Edit: And why the fuck do all of these games insist on taking place in the same time period. Trying to write a story like Lovecraft does not mean you need to set the story in the same fucking time period that Lovecraft was writing in, Lovecrafts writings were contemporary in his context, and writers like him and Machen were often exploring cutting edge topics of science and archaeology. One of the reasons Penumbra and Silent Hill are so interesting is because they take place in a more modern, recognizble world - or, do the opposite and set it in an older time period, Betrayer showed how successfully that can be done.

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Draugen is described as “a first-person survival horror adventure amongst the mountains and fjords of the Norwegian west coast in the 1920s.”
I think the Norwegian setting could work if it was set in an earlier time period. Combined with a plague theme (and some supernatural C'thulu like shit for good measure), this stuff would make for a very creepy setting. Dark cabins in the woods, trolls in the forest and other kinds of intimidating creatures with a Scandinavian vibe (Theodor Kittelsen drew stuff like that). I don't know how well that would translate to a video game though.
Hvis_lyset_tar_oss.jpg

ccf12042010_00033.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS preview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/28/first-look-draugen-horror-dreamfall/

First Look: Investigating The Horror Of Draugen
By Adam Smith on May 28th, 2014 at 9:00 pm.

draugen4.jpg

Ragnar Tørnquist describes Draugen as the game at the heart of Red Thread Studios. That’s something of a surprise, considering that a script and concept for Dreamfall Chapters have existed in his mind (and on various hard drives) for more than a decade now. The Nordic horror/mystery will be his new team’s second release and, as he explained to me during a recent visit to Oslo, it’s the game they were founded to create.

The move from Funcom to a new independence seems intrinsically linked to Dreamfall and the desire to continue the saga that began more than fifteen years ago, but the story isn’t that simple. For one thing, Red Thread have licensed the rights to the series from Funcom. “Everytime somebody buys the previous games to catch up on the story before playing Chapters, we’re still making sales for Funcom!” Tørnquist is amused by the idea that Dreamfall is his series.

“Dreamfall belongs to Funcom, it belongs to my youth, it belongs to the fans. It’s become their story rather than ours, and not everybody here worked on The Longest Journey or Dreamfall. Some of the team are young and new. Draugen will be our game.”

There’s a slight weariness at times when he talks about Dreamfall. I suspect that’s a combination of the long hours already being spent on the game as well as the weight of expectation. He wants to do Chapters right because so many people have waited for so long but that doesn’t mean the team haven’t left themselves room for a little experimentation. It would have been easy to go back to a familiar well but my experience with the game’s opening hours showed signs of fresh dowsing.

draugen6.jpg

Draugen is looking farther afield. The mystery-horror game is seeking entirely new seas and the weird shores that they lap against.

Partly due to the limited group of texts and authors from which we expect popular culture to draw, and partly due to the trailer’s voiceover and use of the sea, Draugen has already slotted into the Lovecraft section of many minds. Sure enough, it’s a tale of isolation, investigation and madness but the catalyst for collapse is human rather than cosmic. If Red Thread’s game is Lovecraftian, it’ll most likely have more in common with The Terrible Old Man than The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Tørnquist concedes that the trailer leaned too close to doom-laden noises, suggesting a more traditional scare ‘em up.

“The story is about the horrors that a small community can inflict on itself. It’s a tragedy as well as a horror story.” As is true of most writers, Tørnquist enjoys words, sometimes for their sound as much as their meaning. Since first meeting him a couple of years ago, I’ve noticed that has a habit of fixating on a certain word during interviews and conversations. As I watched him walk through the desolate landscape of Draugen’s 1920s Norwegian fishing village, I mentioned that it was more melancholy than menacing. “Melancholy is a good word. It begins with the victim of a terrible event and as the story continues we learn about the protagonist and his own past.”

draugen5.jpg

The protagonist in question is Edward, an American who has come to Norway’s beautifully desolate West coast to visit the family of a comrade from the war. Having survived the conflict, the friend relocated to America but passed away while still a young man. The player character, a keen entomologist and photographer, travels to Norway to meet the family that were left behind, to pass on their son’s final respects and perhaps to provide a link to the life he chose away from his native home.

Cut off from the world outside, the village is almost impossible to reach overland. Arriving by boat, the player has seven days to explore and investigate the life and death of the village. When the week is up – and not before – the boat will return to collect him but until then he’s on his own. Literally. The village is abandoned, and one of the first tasks is to set up a shelter and base of investigations in one of the empty houses. With that done, the player is free to look for clues as to how and why the place came to be deserted.

Like an off-the-grid noir detective in a run-down motel, Edward sets about pinning clues to his wall, connecting them with a thread. The thread is red, a sly confirmation of the game’s importance to the studio and also the kind of narrative mechanics they’re interested in exploring. The phrase ‘narrative mechanics’ interests me, as do conversations with Martin Bruusgaard who will be the chap chiefly responsible for designing interactive spaces and processes through which to tell the story.

draugen7.jpg

The last time I spoke to him he was building combat and skill systems for The Secret World. “It’s a very different challenge. TSW was about balance this is about…” he gestures, looking for the words. They’re hard to find because Red Thread aren’t working from a template this time around. Dreamfall Chapters will, I think, surprise many people with its moments of quiet experimentation but if Draugen comes to fruition without shedding some of its ambition along the way it might cause far greater ripples.

During the seven days that the player is stranded in the village, there are also seven nights. The precise length of the cycle hasn’t been decided yet but the lighting effects are in place and they’re magnificent. Red Thread don’t have a huge budget or team, but they’re making what they do have go a long way by concentrating on the things that matter the most. Here, in Draugen, light is important. It creates atmosphere and, as with everything else, it adds to the story.

“I can’t say too much about what happens at night but there is a direct threat to the player.” I asked if there is a supernatural element to that threat, seeing as the settlement’s mysteries seem to be social and personal, based around prejudice and misunderstanding rather than eldritch beasties. “We draw from Norse mythology and local legends but we’re not necessarily making every part of the folklore real. Superstition and belief are important as well.”

draugen3.jpg

Tørnquist and Bruusgaard aren’t for telling whether the Draugen themselves play a part in the game or whether all of the hauntings are metaphorical, although there is definitely somethinglurking in the night. As well as dealing with the emotional and possibly spiritual fallout of a community that may have cannibalised itself, the poor sap who takes the role of intrepid investigator has problems of his own.

During the days, he provides commentary on events in the guise of letters to a special somebody back home in America. Through the letters, it becomes clear that he’s about as repressed and inhibited as a Victorian country vicar. Exposed to cruelty and terror, he’s as likely to respond by attempting to categorise the trauma and victims as if they were botanical or entomological samples. He’s a bit of a fuddy-duddy, which would be a fine alternate UK title for the game.

In fact, we have a tradition here in England of conservative-minded tinkerers meddling in affairs that overtake them. Not the Carry On films but our own brand of weird literature, best-exemplified by the ghost stories of M R James. The quiet moments of exploration and shifting landscape of the night are reminiscent of the splendidly and absurdly terrifying BBC adaptation, Whistle And I’ll Come To You. The setting and design of Draugen capture the primeval world that lurks behind and around human accomplishments, waiting to claim every patch of grass and jagged rock back as soon as we slip out of view for a moment.

draugen2.jpg

The sea, whispering and seemingly endless, is a perfect natural elemental centre for the supernatural. It holds creatures that are alien to us in its depths, it is unknowable and claims lives, and yet it can be a source of great comfort and protection. The Draugen of myth emerge, corporeal and corpse-like, from watery graves. In the game there are strong indications that the beginning of the end came when somebody fell into the sea, or was pushed. A drowning, retribution, an exodus, a plague of gossip and superstition – the village is certainly haunted in one way or another.

In his attempts to rationalise terrible occurrences that may be the result of unscientific processes, or may simply have the irrationality of human nature at their root, Draugen’s protagonist will become haunted as well. He is prone to hallucinations, caused by visual impairment in what may be a form of Charles Bonnet Syndrome. Indeed, his short-sightedness is a key feature of the game.

“This is what happens when people who wear glasses design their own game.” Tornquist claims the glasses will play a significant role, particularly during the long dark nights of the soul. “They can be cracked and sometimes you will need to remove them and clean them so that your view isn’t blurred or obscured.” And then there are the hallucinations. “I’ve never experienced them myself but we have done our research.”

draugen1.jpg

At present, the glasses and the red connecting thread are the only mechanical parts of the game that the team are discussing, and the implementation isn’t locked down yet. When Dreamfall ships, the focus will be on Draugen and a lot of the work taking place at present is preliminary and experimental. “

Conversation turned to Dear Esther and Gone Home, the latter a game that Tornquist particularly admires, and I put forward my theory that Fullbright’s debut might be remembered like the early days of 3d graphics. Wonderful work for the time but swiftly dated. I feel that some developers are feeling around the edges of what is possible with narrative design that doesn’t rely on the punctuation of puzzles or heavy loads of text.

With Draugen, Red Thread are taking on board the methods that other designers are using and looking for ways to add something new. It’s impossible to say whether the experiment will pay off but I’m glad that it’s taking place. Draugen’s announcement came at a strange time, while Dreamfall Chapters was still enjoying the limelight, but it’s far from being ‘Red Thread’s Other Game’ in any slighting sense. Free from the restraints of a long-running series and the demands of a publisher, Draugen may be the first game to enjoy the full benefits of the team’s newfound independence.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
looks like dear easter. also has the same habit of using a whole lot of words to say absolutely nothing at all.

Edit: And why the fuck do all of these games insist on taking place in the same time period. Trying to write a story like Lovecraft does not mean you need to set the story in the same fucking time period that Lovecraft was writing in, Lovecrafts writings were contemporary in his context, and writers like him and Machen were often exploring cutting edge topics of science and archaeology. One of the reasons Penumbra and Silent Hill are so interesting is because they take place in a more modern, recognizble world - or, do the opposite and set it in an older time period, Betrayer showed how successfully that can be done.

I would love to see a survival horror set in the era of the Vikings, or the American Indians at their peak. Those cultures had some incredibly scary monsters and lore.
A friend of mine was trying to find funding to create a survival horror set in present day around 'muti' (witch doctors) - it had a TON of potential.

The style and theme remind me really strongly of Eleusis, and that game was utter crap. Can't they come up with something more interesting than an abandoned village?

And that trailer gave off a "trying too hard" vibe.

Meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom