Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Draugen - first-person psychological mystery set in 1920s Norway from Dreamfall Chapters devs

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

i_am_not_alone.png

Draugen is a single-player, first-person Fjord Noir tale of suspense and mystery, set in 1920s Norway.

Draugen_capsule_main.png

About Draugen
From the studio that brought you Dreamfall Chapters, and the creative team behind The Longest Journey and The Secret World, comes a first-person psychological mystery set in 1920s Norway.

The year is 1923. You play Edward Charles Harden, an American traveller who's come to Norway to find his missing sister. But you're not alone: at every step of the way, Edward's accompanied by his ward, Lissie; a gregarious, independent and enigmatic young woman. Together, you must explore this scenic coastal community — nestled amongst the fjords and mountains of rural Norway — in your search for Edward's sister, and unearth the darkness that lies beneath the picturesque surface.

Draugen is in development and will be released in 2019. Please add the game to your Steam Wishlist to stay updated on the release date.

Key features
  • "I am not alone": explore 1920s coastal Norway accompanied by a living, breathing, independent companion
  • Interact with your companion, Lissie, through a realistic and dynamic dialogue system
  • Experience a thrilling tale through the eyes of an increasingly unreliable narrator
  • Find your own path through a scenic setting that changes with the weather and Edward's mental state
  • "A story about what lies beneath": piece together a gripping narrative with unexpected twists and turns
Additional features
  • A beautiful original musical score from award-winning composer Simon Poole (Dreamfall, The Secret World, The Park, Dreamfall Chapters)
  • Written by Ragnar Tørnquist (The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, The Secret World, Dreamfall Chapters)
  • Designed and developed by the team behind Dreamfall Chapters
  • Fully voiced in English, with motion-captured characters

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This is out and I finished it. It's a walking sim alright.

It is quintessentially a story about isolation and rejection, beautifully written, with its mundane and sad tone complemented by the cheeky Lissie. Sounds boring, and it may be to most people, but skilled writer Ragnar Tornquist still knows how to convey the unspectacular into something very compelling.

Recommended to all storyfags at a major discount.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
This game looks nothing like the game I remember announced six years ago. Looks like it went through a reboot or two.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The good news is that they have started working on their next game...

Svalbard_logo_lynx_black_web_cropped_inverted.png

A post-apocalyptic polar punk RPG

Mortmal

Arcane

It is quintessentially a story about isolation and rejection, beautifully written, with its mundane and sad tone complemented by the cheeky Lissie. Sounds boring, and it may be to most people, but skilled writer Ragnar Tornquist still knows how to convey the unspectacular into something very compelling.

Yes, i recommend it too, although the plot is quite predictable . A weary old man accompanied with a pretty and energetic 15 years old girl...
She can only be an imaginary friend...How true and kinda depressing

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Yes, i recommend it too, although the plot is quite predictable . A weary old man accompanied with a pretty and energetic 15 years old girl...
She can only be an imaginary friend...How true and kinda depressing

Actually, Edward has been hallucinating Lissie all the time, caused by his childhood trauma. Quite depressing indeed.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

so ragnar is still a good writer? how did dreamfall chapters became the mess that it was? the end arc are just awful. deus ex machina, "wtf is going" on syndrome with too many build ups and no satisfying payoff, etc.

don't forget " i am homosexual, i don't mate with women " that's literally a quote from the game. i am all of LGBT inclusion, but doing it like that is cringeworthy,

it's like satuday morning cartoon "MWAHAHAHAH I AM EVIL AND I WANT TO FIGHT YOU"

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This game is nothing like Derpfall Chapters. It has no social or political agenda, on the contrary, the characters, slang, etiquette, etc. of the 1920s has been quite accurately researched and faithfully implemented. It is a refreshingly restrained and yet beautifully expressive game. It's the anti-Dreamfall game, yet it's still a Ragnar game. Ragnar-uncucked.

Dualnames

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I finished the game, here are my thoughts spoiler free.

The atmosphere is the best part of Draugen, it immerses you with such depth and holds onto you from the getgo. The graphics are gorgeous and everything you see is well thought out from environments, terrain formation, objects, people, weather effects. The music adds a lot to that as well, not too backgroundish not too foregroundish, it goes back and forth in some sort of dance, always taking the role it needs to take. The voice acting is spot on, and I especially loved Lissie's voice-acting.

However, there are a couple of issues. This is not an 'adventure' game, this is rather an interactive fiction, there's actually 2 puzzles in the game, well 2 parts in the game I can identify as puzzles. And that's okay, I don't think anyone going into Draugen expects an adventure game. In my opinion however, given the nature of the plot, it should have been worked as a mix of the two, rather than focusing on the story, disregarding the gameplay as a whole. And the story to be fair, while the protagonists of it make it like 100% better than it is, it falls flat and predictable and kind of disappointing and done to death so far, to be honest. It plays around sympathy, but in a very obvious way, and adds shocking turns, just to brag about them. All and all, I felt disappointed by that. Thankfully the interactions between Edward and Lissie do kind of salvage that part of the game, which I find to be a mess. Lastly, the duration, even though I explored a lot and almost triggered like 80-90% of the interactive points/interactions, the game is literally 2 hours long. For something priced that high, it feels kind of, well, stupid. I would recommend it on a sale, 4-8 dollars for this would be worthwhile imho.

TL:DR Get it cheap cause you might regret.

Mortmal

Arcane
Well we certainly get more close to dear esther than a classic point and click adventure game that's for sure.Think i played 3 hours, but i am slow ,old and drinking.

Tancred

Learned
Had it on my watch list, I seem to recall it was originally supposed to be a horror game? Seems like it went through some fairly major redesigns. Only just got around to playing it.

Sadly it turned out more of a Gone Home/Firewatch style not-game that baits with a cool mystery premise only to veer off into something else.

Zero gameplay. No puzzles, no enemies, no horror unless two lame jumpscares frighten you. No NPC's other than Lissie and incredibly limited exploration. The game area is small and you walk around the places you're allowed to go. Fences, invisible walls (presented more as a 'I can't trespass there' ethical boundary) and locked doors keep you from going where you're not meant to go. There are contextual icons over everything that can be interacted with so you won't miss them unless you're blind and sometimes you won't be allowed to progress until you've interacted with the important ones.

In fact, the pace and approach to exploration is controlled largely by Lissie, the young girl NPC that follows you around and gives you orders or tells you what to do. The player has no real agency to direct his own investigation into things.

Didn't care much for the story or where it went either. The twists were fairly obvious if you pay attention to some of the things said by Edward and Lissie. At least it was very short. Even if you walk around slowly doing the atmospherefag thing, this will take you about 3 hours at best. Also, I guess it looks fairly pretty at times and the music's not bad.

I would not play this again. I would recommend Through The Woods instead if you're desperate for an indie Nordic-themed horror game - it is very average but unlike Draugen it has the virtue of actually being a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom