Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I saw this post on reddit with 60 upvotes. I've never felt so triggered
Ok I will speak here as the fan of the actual originals. People love New Vegas because fans of the OG games love it. I love New Vegas.

But and this is the big thing - NV rides heavily off the nostalgia. Ron Perlman. Bulk of OG devs. Soundtrack has the Cathedral bells in it and the windchimes/flutes of the originals. The color scheme is same. Many characters that are referencing beloved characters show up (Cassidy's daughter Rose for example). NCR is here. Weathered 10mm gun. V13 flask. I was half expecting I would have Vault 13 suit as well upon waking up.

Fo3 met a lot of criticism from OG fans. It is not isometric. It was Oblivion with guns. It was not a Fallout because it was on the east coast. It sucks because it sucks. The story is too simple. The story is too short. The story is boring. VATS sucks.

But in many ways Fo3 is more Fallout that FNV. Fo3 lets you cut to the chase. My first playthrough I never met three dog. I just found the Tranquility Lane by accident. You can do that in Fo1 and go straight to Mariposa. FNV does not let you do that. Fo3 lets you be truly evil. FNV does not let you become the true evil.

So people generally stuck with the opinion of OG fans. But here is the tricky bit - OG fans really wanted multiplayer Fallout for ages. That is why Tactics exists. F:Online was in development before Bethesda bought the IP. A lot of the fans I know were fans since the originals (mostly because I introduced them to Fallout - budget distribution of games in late 90s was based on "who can lend me a CD" basis) absolutely love Fo76. They have fun.

FNV fans became "the OG fans". They do not really understand why they prefer FNV over Fo3 (they know they like it more than Fo4 because of more dialogue) because honestly they do not - others were and they copied the opinion. So they blame story, pretending like Fallout was always superior in the genre (in a genre where Baldur's gate and Planescape Torment existed at the time). Fallout always had pretty crappy story. But good handling of the story was what set it apart. World design and the style was unique. Fo76 handles its story quite well. The world is amazing. The style is fitting. But FNV fans swear that the franchise is dead (it definitely is not - it was dead between 2004 and 2008 if anything) because of 76. They said the same thing about Fo4 and to be fair Fo4 was quite a success. I love Fo4 personally. It is a fun game, the new mechanics like Power Armor being an actual exoskeleton are amazing and I finally felt like a threat to humanity in it. Every Fallout game improved upon its predecessor. I never noticed any step back. Fo4s dialogue is stramlined (and I'd honestly love if you could have better dialogue options and extra raider faction outside of Nuka DLC) for voice acting. I mean... not something I asked for but I ended up liking it and the dynamic it creates while you talk to characters.

There are no OG fans anymore. There are just people who enjoy the games for what they are and people who enjoyed one game out of 7 (ignoring BoS exists) and bitching and moaning. These people want to get FNV remaster. And then they criticise and mock Bethesda for rererereleasing Skyrim in the same sentence. These people generally have no clue what they really want. They do not look into the world of the game and just graze the surface. And they feel offended for not even trying to explore and take in the world.

You really should have posted this video as a response.

Friday.13

Educated
lYMpy7h.jpg

So, both id and Arkane seems to involved in the development of Fo76.

Astral Rag

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-atoms-prices/

Fallout 76 has arrived, and with it the Atomic Shop, where players can spend Atoms. Atoms are Fallout 76's microtransaction currency, earned by playing the game and completing challenges.

But you can also buy Atoms with real world cash, available for purchase in four different amounts. When you buy an amount over 500, you get a bonus of additional Atoms. Here's how much Atoms cost in real world money, and here's what you can spend it on in the Atomic Shop.

500 Atoms: $4.99 / £3.99
1000 Atoms (+100): $9.99 / £7.99
2000 Atoms (+ 400): $19.99 / £15.99
4000 Atoms (+ 1000): $40.00 / £31.99

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The monocle alone costs 300 Bethbucks. :argh:
Probably 2000+ to become a monocled Preston Gravy informing every player about workbenches in need.

Supposedly you can earn them ingame, but at what rate? PCGamer's gif said 100 for picking your first lock, so it seems not that rare, at least to get your first 500 or so...
If it is like SWTOR after that, you can laugh at anyone having non-default emotes, because they wasted what little was free. Or spent real moneyz on it. :hahano:

Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-atoms-prices/

Fallout 76 has arrived, and with it the Atomic Shop, where players can spend Atoms. Atoms are Fallout 76's microtransaction currency, earned by playing the game and completing challenges.

But you can also buy Atoms with real world cash, available for purchase in four different amounts. When you buy an amount over 500, you get a bonus of additional Atoms. Here's how much Atoms cost in real world money, and here's what you can spend it on in the Atomic Shop.

500 Atoms: $4.99 / £3.99
1000 Atoms (+100): $9.99 / £7.99
2000 Atoms (+ 400): $19.99 / £15.99
4000 Atoms (+ 1000): $40.00 / £31.99
I'm going to buy so many atoms

Okagron

Prophet

Ok I will speak here as the fan of the actual originals. People love New Vegas because fans of the OG games love it. I love New Vegas.

But and this is the big thing - NV rides heavily off the nostalgia. Ron Perlman. Bulk of OG devs. Soundtrack has the Cathedral bells in it and the windchimes/flutes of the originals. The color scheme is same. Many characters that are referencing beloved characters show up (Cassidy's daughter Rose for example). NCR is here. Weathered 10mm gun. V13 flask. I was half expecting I would have Vault 13 suit as well upon waking up.

Fo3 met a lot of criticism from OG fans. It is not isometric. It was Oblivion with guns. It was not a Fallout because it was on the east coast. It sucks because it sucks. The story is too simple. The story is too short. The story is boring. VATS sucks.

But in many ways Fo3 is more Fallout that FNV. Fo3 lets you cut to the chase. My first playthrough I never met three dog. I just found the Tranquility Lane by accident. You can do that in Fo1 and go straight to Mariposa. FNV does not let you do that. Fo3 lets you be truly evil. FNV does not let you become the true evil.

So people generally stuck with the opinion of OG fans. But here is the tricky bit - OG fans really wanted multiplayer Fallout for ages. That is why Tactics exists. F:Online was in development before Bethesda bought the IP. A lot of the fans I know were fans since the originals (mostly because I introduced them to Fallout - budget distribution of games in late 90s was based on "who can lend me a CD" basis) absolutely love Fo76. They have fun.

FNV fans became "the OG fans". They do not really understand why they prefer FNV over Fo3 (they know they like it more than Fo4 because of more dialogue) because honestly they do not - others were and they copied the opinion. So they blame story, pretending like Fallout was always superior in the genre (in a genre where Baldur's gate and Planescape Torment existed at the time). Fallout always had pretty crappy story. But good handling of the story was what set it apart. World design and the style was unique. Fo76 handles its story quite well. The world is amazing. The style is fitting. But FNV fans swear that the franchise is dead (it definitely is not - it was dead between 2004 and 2008 if anything) because of 76. They said the same thing about Fo4 and to be fair Fo4 was quite a success. I love Fo4 personally. It is a fun game, the new mechanics like Power Armor being an actual exoskeleton are amazing and I finally felt like a threat to humanity in it. Every Fallout game improved upon its predecessor. I never noticed any step back. Fo4s dialogue is stramlined (and I'd honestly love if you could have better dialogue options and extra raider faction outside of Nuka DLC) for voice acting. I mean... not something I asked for but I ended up liking it and the dynamic it creates while you talk to characters.

There are no OG fans anymore. There are just people who enjoy the games for what they are and people who enjoyed one game out of 7 (ignoring BoS exists) and bitching and moaning. These people want to get FNV remaster. And then they criticise and mock Bethesda for rererereleasing Skyrim in the same sentence. These people generally have no clue what they really want. They do not look into the world of the game and just graze the surface. And they feel offended for not even trying to explore and take in the world.
Fallout Reddit is easily one of the biggest cesspools in existence. These idiots do so much mental gymnastics to justify Fallout 3 and 4 as actual Fallout games that is really laughable.

And i laughed at "Fallout 3 let's you be evil". Yes, let's you be evil by sacrificing yourself at the end of the game regardless of your karma, effectively making you Jesus Christ. Because that's what an evil person wants to do, sacrifice for other people. Also Fallout is apparently now "it lets me reach wherever i want when i want" and that's what defines what a Fallout game is. Not the story, characters, writing, themes or anything that makes a Fallout game an actual Fallout game.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

Fallout Reddit is easily one of the biggest cesspools in existence. These idiots do so much mental gymnastics to justify Fallout 3 and 4 as actual Fallout games that is really laughable.

And i laughed at "Fallout 3 let's you be evil". Yes, let's you be evil by sacrificing yourself at the end of the game regardless of your karma, effectively making you Jesus Christ. Because that's what an evil person wants to do, sacrifice for other people. Also Fallout is apparently now "it lets me reach wherever i want when i want" and that's what defines what a Fallout game is. Not the story, characters, writing, themes or anything that makes a Fallout game an actual Fallout game.
Reddit is a shithole
Users on average are awful, all of the 'major' content is just bought and paid for advertisements

Okagron

Prophet
He complains about NV being nostalgia-bait, (Love how he mentions Ron Perlman and returning characters, did he even play FO3?) but his entire argument is about how FO3 is faithful to the originals.
Completely missed the nostalgia bait thing for New Vegas and saying that as a criticism. Whoever wrote that post forgot that Fallout 3 blatantly fuses the plots of the first two games, uses two of the most popular factions of the first two games for no other reason than they are the most popular, brings back characters like Harold for no reason, and has GECK as a plot macguffin because Fallout 2 did it. This is easily some of the biggest nostalgia riding i have ever seen.

PorkBarrellGuy

brings back characters like Harold for no reason

There was a reason, and it was to twist the knife Bethesda put into the backs of the people who cared about Fallout the most. The entire business with Harold in FO3 was a "Fuck you. This is our franchise now. Watch us kill one of your favorite characters off."

Narrative-wise, Harold became dead regardless of the outcome of that quest. Convince him to live, and he will just sit there, rooted forever to one spot, rendered utterly irrelevant to anything outside the oasis. Mercykill him (only humane choice, frankly) and he's literally dead, and LOL YOU KILLED HAROLD PLAYER YOU DID OUR DIRTY WORK FOR US LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Reinhardt

Arcane

No mention of "npcs looks bored"?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I can't help but giggle now reading that players can't log in due to full or crashed servers.

IF you make an early access stresstest called B.E.T.A. it would have been useful to do so during normal hours, not when half of your prospective customers are at work/school/kindergarden. Alas, who could have anticipated so many players trying to log in at once? :hahano:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The funny part about the server "problems" is: it's not even prime time yet. The majority of players right now are the pre-order faction. In most of the world, normal digital copies seem to follow the "not yet released" limitation (or are still downloading at snail's speed) and physical copies are not delivered yet.

:smug:

lophiaspis

Arbiter
So I tried this, just to see how bad it was.

It's... surprisingly good! Really good, in fact. Well worth the full price, which you can only say about very few games. A huge incline for Bethesda out of nowhere.

I don't know how Bethesda did it, but the writing in '76 is their best ever, by far. About as good as New Vegas, I would say. I thought it would just be uninspired fetch quests, but some of the quests are absolutely unforgettable, with fantastic characters and dialogue. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, with great art direction. Never felt so immersed in a post-apocalypse game.

The gameplay is also massively improved. The gunplay is super smooth and intense. I liked Rust, but '76 is even better. And with the very good writing on top of that, this game seems like a rare gem. Best Bethesda game I've ever played! Just when I thought they were in the abyss of decline.

Overall: 4/5, best Bethesda game in decades. Worth buying now!

PorkBarrellGuy

So I tried this, just to see how bad it was.

It's... surprisingly good! Really good, in fact. Well worth the full price, which you can only say about very few games. A huge incline for Bethesda out of nowhere.

I don't know how Bethesda did it, but the writing in '76 is their best ever, by far. About as good as New Vegas, I would say. I thought it would just be uninspired fetch quests, but some of the quests are absolutely unforgettable, with fantastic characters and dialogue. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, with great art direction. Never felt so immersed in a post-apocalypse game.

The gameplay is also massively improved. The gunplay is super smooth and intense. I liked Rust, but '76 is even better. And with the very good writing on top of that, this game seems like a rare gem. Best Bethesda game I've ever played! Just when I thought they were in the abyss of decline.

Overall: 4/5, best Bethesda game in decades. Worth buying now!

Too obvious. Good effort, though. Would probably fool normies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom