Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

typical user

Arbiter
There's also Civil War Overhaul (iirc) which is supposed to deretard the whole system.
I never played with it tho, so YMMV

Tried it, makes the game unstable as hell during sieges. The mod author also created a mod that makes dragons more like... dragons.

Dragon Combat Overhaul - these guys now stagger when they land and will often land on your head to make you ragdoll then kill you with their shouts. I think it was supposed to create an atmosphere of fear until you get a Dragonrend to ground them permamently and have a chance to kill.

Plisken

Learned
Just tried to setup an S:SE setup using Enai's mods and a couple loot and mob variance mods.

Going back to requiem for a bit, that shit was dumb.
Apocalypse? I heard all those spells are just overpowered as shit. Try OMEGA on S: SE so I don't have to. :lol:

i wanted to try it but the guide is a fucking mess. I seriously think there is an over representation of autism in the skyrim community because no normal person would put up with this shit. I saw a little nerd spat happen on reddit when one other modder - correctly - pointed out that when you have so many options and configurations to set up, the average person won't even bother. It would take less long for me to put together 3 disparate overhaul mods than it would to understand what this faggot has written about his gay patch compilation. and then on top of that im expected to change 40 ettings in the MCM for respective submods and then also possibly use outside of game tools on this shit to get it working optimally? Whats the fucking point of seeking out all those permissions (another obnoxious aspect of the skyrim community) if you're not even going to design a cohesive mod package? The whole reason for seeking out an overhaul in the first place is so I DONT HAVE TO bother with this shit, at some point you might as well be tweaking the entire game yourself, fuck this obnoxious shit.

I ended up with YASH, again, because its one fucking click install and manages to put together a comprehensive set of changes that these gay nerds can't seem to do without needing 100+ different mods. The only thing that I regret about YASH is it doesn't touch loot placement. I really want something like morrowloot ultimate, but YASH is so easy to use and changes so much effectively that I'm willing to do without it. Maybe. I see posts about skyrim revamped + enai's mods and stuff like know your enemy, sounds interesting.

Funposter

Arcane
Installing 200 mods ends up being fairly pointless when Ordinator, Wildcat, Ultimate Combat 3.0, TK Dodge and Morrowloot turn the game into an OK explore->kill->loot simulator on their own. I think trying to turn Skyrim into an actual RPG is a fool's errand. You're better off just magnifying its (few) good qualities and allowing yourself to enjoy it as GTA with swords.

You know what's sad? We live in an Era where people will pay to see a list of mods being handfully chosen. Like, I would guess there are ten thousand more users actually making decent lists, but only because one guy puts them behind a pay wall, he will probably turn famous for it:roll:

Funposter

Arcane
idiot: maybe i can use modding to get a foot in the door at bethesda and get a job

smart person, a fucking genius: i am going to paywall my mods for a 7 year old game

Tomatohead

Learned
KdPHhuT.jpg

81WJ71g.jpg

I installed tons of mods and got it working (made my own list of mods but it often revolves around the certain popular ones but it was over 50 gigs of them - whatever you do never use nexus mod manager but the new one with virtual file system). It took few days to collect them and then few more to get it all working as I was new to modding. All in all including all testing and switching over, testing alternatives it was about 9 evenings of work.

Then I kind of forgot and needed to make room on my ssd and deleted everything. I have it now on Switch though and been actually playing it. Moral? Mods aren't necessary unless you are after something very specific, like bdsm outfits and huge milkers and other mods from loverslab. Prostate milking in middle of Whiterun is an experience. No matter how many mods you install the game's still nowhere near the singularity of Grimoire. It just lacks finesse.

How would a SJW-Skyrim look like? Post screenshots please.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
You know what's sad? We live in an Era where people will pay to see a list of mods being handfully chosen. Like, I would guess there are ten thousand more users actually making decent lists, but only because one guy puts them behind a pay wall, he will probably turn famous for it:roll:
You're misrepresenting the situation. Ultimate Skyrim is a lot more than just a mod list, and the finished product is more akin to an entirely new game rather than a handful of mods shoved into a list.

Bear in mind that it's not only mod selection that is part of the process, but a lot of work making those mods play together perfectly.

Not to mention that the project itself entails actual modding, as in BB has actually made his own mods to form part of the experience.

The way you describe it, it would indeed be a travesty, but that's not what Ultimate Skyrim is.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed about the pay wall aspect, but at the end of the day you're talking about thousands of hours of work (that's not an exaggeration, it's literally thousands of hours that have gone into this project) that you get instant access to for about 5 bucks. And it's only the updates to the project that will be paywalled, the basic project will be available for free.

Plisken

Learned
I installed tons of mods and got it working (made my own list of mods but it often revolves around the certain popular ones but it was over 50 gigs of them - whatever you do never use nexus mod manager but the new one with virtual file system). It took few days to collect them and then few more to get it all working as I was new to modding. All in all including all testing and switching over, testing alternatives it was about 9 evenings of work.

Then I kind of forgot and needed to make room on my ssd and deleted everything. I have it now on Switch though and been actually playing it. Moral? Mods aren't necessary unless you are after something very specific, like bdsm outfits and huge milkers and other mods from loverslab. Prostate milking in middle of Whiterun is an experience. No matter how many mods you install the game's still nowhere near the singularity of Grimoire. It just lacks finesse.

ive found graphics focused mod additions to largely be a waste of time and space. Texture packs in particular. It mightve been a different story with oldrim, but skyrim special edition has perfectly fine texture work and the benefits of such packs seem to be placebo and imaginary. I cant find the video anymore, but there was one comparing vanilla to 4 of the most popular texture packs and the comments were filled with variations of "wtf why does vanilla look better" :lol: . While being advertised as being more "detailed" actually most texture mods merely just change shit for the sake of changing shit like the color palettes, or they'll make a brick wall with small bricks into large bricks or vice versa....

Theres a few very good mods in that category, stuff that most people consider essential like SMIM for the much improved meshes, but Ive learned my lesson to stay away from the big texture packs. They're mostly fucking shit (2017 in particular is actually garbage). The REAL big differentiating factor between modded setups and non-modded setups that these people dont advertise as readily is the ENB and thats it. Vanilla game with ENB = looks good. Modded to hell and back with no ENB = still looks lacklustre in comparison.

Landscape stuff...eh. Ive only tried Flora Overhaul and i really wasn't that impressed.

Yosharian

Arcane

ive found graphics focused mod additions to largely be a waste of time and space. Texture packs in particular. It mightve been a different story with oldrim, but skyrim special edition has perfectly fine texture work and the benefits of such packs seem to be placebo and imaginary. I cant find the video anymore, but there was one comparing vanilla to 4 of the most popular texture packs and the comments were filled with variations of "wtf why does vanilla look better" :lol: . While being advertised as being more "detailed" actually most texture mods merely just change shit for the sake of changing shit like the color palettes, or they'll make a brick wall with small bricks into large bricks or vice versa....

Theres a few very good mods in that category, stuff that most people consider essential like SMIM for the much improved meshes, but Ive learned my lesson to stay away from the big texture packs. They're mostly fucking shit (2017 in particular is actually garbage). The REAL big differentiating factor between modded setups and non-modded setups that these people dont advertise as readily is the ENB and thats it. Vanilla game with ENB = looks good. Modded to hell and back with no ENB = still looks lacklustre in comparison.

Landscape stuff...eh. Ive only tried Flora Overhaul and i really wasn't that impressed.
I don't know if you guys are smoking shit or just installing really bad mods but there is a massive difference between modded and unmodded.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I typically avoid graphic/sound mods because most of the time they are amateurish and cause stability issues. They are amateurish in the sense that oftentimes they are inconsistent, not everything is altered and even the things that they do alter tend to be of varying levels of quality, plus they oftentimes alter the art style of the original game. And they do cause stability issues and bugs from time to time, and especially for someone who runs the legendary edition on Linux via WINE, stability is very important, WINE is unstable enough as it is...

The mods i am currently using are:

- Unofficial legendary & unofficial hd texture dlc patches. Obviously
- Cutting Room Floor to add cut content into the game
- Ordinator perk overhaul (with the 2 optional mods too) because it is a great way to make the skill tree more interesting
- Immersive Armor & Immersive Weapons, because more equipment is always good
- Skyrim Immersive Creauteres & High Levels of Enemies SIC edition for better enemies
- Apocalypse Magic of Skyrim for more magicks
- Phenderix magic world for even more magicks
- SkyUI obviously
- Immersive Patrols, WARZONES 2015 Civil Unrest & WARZONES Assault Attack so i can have a richer Skyrim world full of mayhem and carnage
- Interesting NPCs, Immersive Citizens AI Overhaul, plus some random companion mods to add more personality to the game
- Alternate Start - Live another life, so i can avoid that painful helgen sequence everytime i make another character and save time
- Deadly Dragons, so we can have better dragon fights
- Bandolier Bags and Pouches for some more inventory room plus more style
- Royal Bloodline Vampire Lord perk tree, to make vampire lord more awesome
- Werewolf Perks Expanded & Werewolf revert form to make werewolf beastform more fun
- Better Vampires, Better Vampire Weapons, Better Vampire NPCs, plus Moonlight tales Werewolf and Warebear Overhaul, to add some serious B movie quality into the game
- Helgen Reborn and Falksaar for some more content
- Glowing Ore Veins 300 and some additional quest marker mods so i can find pesky stuff like stones of Berenziah easier.
- Project Flintlock Rifle, cause i like them boomsticks

I find that these mods work fine together and i haven't encountered any issues running this configuration under WINE. I am using Archlinux with wine-staging-nine, and the AMDgpu opensource drivers, and the game runs pretty well maxed out on an R9 380 2GB with these mods. So anyone wondering if he can play Skyrim on Linux, he can, that is why i mention it. Skyrim Special edition runs also really well with DXVK, everything maxed out with good framerate, BUT there is an issue with sound support on 64 bit WINE prefixes and it breaks Skyrim scripts, plus it makes voices and music disappear in-game. They are working on fixing that, but it might take a few months.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Thing is from what i see, its not "just a mod List" but they also made compatibility patch so the said to be 300 mods works together without shitting your game. Probably would needs lot of time in creation kit and TESVEdit to clean shits up.

Now, I dont know what those 300 mods are, but making landscape change + quest mods + big gameplay mods working together is a bitch to do without compatibility parches.

Plisken

Learned

I don't know if you guys are smoking shit or just installing really bad mods but there is a massive difference between modded and unmodded.

These are the most popular texture packs on the nexus and i can only count one instance where I see visual IMPROVEMENT, and a lot of instances where its actively WORSE despite the mutual rub and tug modders and community give themelves about them being brilliant artists and the professionals having no clue.

Noble skyrim is nice, but its not an improvement. Its just a different look. The 2017 pack on the other hand, is actually SHIT and its one of the most downloaded and endorsed. This is pure placebo effect for people who havent even checked out base SSE, they just continued their "mod it out of the box" habits from oldrim.

When modders arent resorting to dishonest tricks like using oldrim og screenshots in their before/after comparisons, and you see these mods actively in videos like this taken on a normal person's rig, it all falls apart. What the fuck do i care about some autist screeching about how sse textures are upscaled instead of made from scratch? what matters is how it actually looks ingame, as a whole, and I've yet to see one of these mods consistently improve the visuals, while many go a long way to actually worsen it.

The biggest visual differentiating factor between a modded setup and a non-modded setup is an ENB. Thats not even worth debating, it simply is. No amount of retextures will give you the visual improvement of an ENB, particularly a well configured ENB. As for the rest of the shit involved in modding visuals, a lot of that is personal taste such as tree mods and what not. Personally I don't consider increasing the size or number of trees to be a big visual improvement, it just makes a busier scene. There are definitely some mods that are absolutely worth having, I already conceded that, such as SMIM or blended roads, a water retexture mod etc. But these big texture "packs" are frankly shit and a lot of their popularity is simply novelty factor.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Skyrim is broken garbage. News at 11.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom