Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which are the best looking Fallout games?

Which are the best looking Fallout games?

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This may be a pointless poll to make in the Codex, but nonetheless I wanted to make it.

It dawned on me recently that the best looking Fallout games are Fallout and Fallout 2. When playing them, there was never a point when I ever said "this looks like shit". All of my graphics-related issues had to do with the game being small for my monitor, nothing else. By comparison, the 3D games have awful models, awful textures, awful animations, basically they are ugly as sin. In Fallout and Fallout 2, everything has the same level of quality. You look at a still picture of the game and it looks like everything is in its place.

243537-fallout-screenshot.gif

7ebed0776bfd9048eca3308734c441ec.jpg

targeting.png

Please do not mistake "graphical fidelity" for "better graphics", or "3D graphics" as being better than "2D graphics". I know a Fallout 4 character has much more defined features than Fallout's, but that doesn't say how aesthetically pleasing the Fallout 4 character looks like.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
At this point it's certain TC is reading my 'Dex/blog posts and making topics out of them.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I totally forgot about Tactics. I remember seeing pictures of it and thinking "this is what Fallout should look like". I don't like it's UI much, but the graphics themselves are lovely.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yeah. Those kind of graphics is what Fallout 3 should have had. Just a slight upgrade. You don't really need better than that, and you could focus on gameplay and substance.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
F:NV has pretty delicious looking environments, not gonna lie. They had the literally stumbling into an abandoned pre-war construction feeling nailed down.

I never really got that feeling with the old Fallouts tbh. Maybe they were too prettified. Instead of that big sandbox feeling you had this 'use skill of your choosing to advance through the dollhouse' feeling.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
F:NV has pretty delicious looking environments, not gonna lie. They had the literally stumbling into an abandoned pre-war construction feeling nailed down.

I never really got that feeling with the old Fallouts tbh. Maybe they were too prettified. Instead of that big sandbox feeling you had this 'use skill of your choosing to advance through the dollhouse' feeling.

I think the only thing Fallout has going against it when it comes to the "graphics" is that you can't see the horizon. Or the sky. Really the only things I miss from the 3D games. I reckon this could be EASILY solved: just add a transition image when you enter a city/enter the wasteland.

Add Fallout Tactics.

I think that what made the original Fallouts stand out so much is a mix of art style and uniqueness. It just has this beautiful art-style that really does well considering the game's limited pallete and graphics. Its just... lovingly crafted.

As for Tactics... I think it has kind of a... plasticky look to it sometimes. And it lacks some of the original's retro feel. But otherwise, it is also a pretty gorgerous game.

I know its a big holy cow here, but I have a feeling Van Buren would have looked like absolute ass, because early 2000s 3D was just horrible.
I remember interviews at the time, about how Interplay was working on a 3D engine for the Black Hound and such. I wonder if we could have actually gotten a proper Van Buren had Interplay just made 3 with the Phoenix Engine they already had. Then again, it may have made no difference

Yosharian

Arcane
The original Fallout games obviously have the most unique and interesting art style.

However, if you mod Fallout 4's tits off with fan-made textures and a decent ENB.. It's not a bad-looking game at all. The problem is the game it's attached to.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Depends on how you define "best."
If you base it entirely off of how high the polygon counts and texture resolutions are, then Fallout 4 is indubitably the best.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Depends on how you define "best."
If you base it entirely off of how high the polygon counts and texture resolutions are, then Fallout 4 is indubitably the best.

Well, the question is pretty simple: "which are the best looking Fallout games?". That is, which ones do you think look best? Otherwise, the question would be "Which are the most graphically advanced Fallout games?", and the answer would unquestionably be Fallout 4.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
In that case, I think Fallout 1 and 2 frankly don't look too visually interesting. A bit too bland/boring for my taste, this is an opinion that will get me crucified no doubt. Of course, this isn't fair at all but modded New Vegas probably looks the best in my opinion.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
In that case, I think Fallout 1 and 2 frankly don't look too visually interesting. A bit too bland/boring for my taste, this is an opinion that will get me crucified no doubt. Of course, this isn't fair at all but modded New Vegas probably looks the best in my opinion.

I personally don't mind different opinions. I do think New Vegas can look gorgeous with mods. But that is very much a "can" and not a "does". Sometimes it looks great. Sometimes it looks bad. It depends on what you are looking at.

tomdavis

Literate
Fallout 2 is my favorite. In addition to the non-linearity, the undeniable advantage of this toy is the development system of your character.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Fallout Tactics. It as the same style of Fallout 1&2, but it is better. A Fallout RPG with the Fallout Tactics graphics will be a dream.

Max Damage

Savant
New Vegas can look pretty good when modded, but I assume we're talking vanilla, so my vote goes for Fallout 1/2 because Tactics isn't on the list. I haven't played Fallout 4, but from what I've seen it really lacks grit of previous Fallouts. Kinda like watching Jigsaw after original Saw movies, it just looks out of place.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The funny thing with Fallout Tactics is that the graphics and the UI actually holds up really well still, today, which isn't a small feat for a game released 17 fucking years ago. By comparison, most other games of that age looks and feels considerably more dated.

You could release a game today that looks and feels almost identical, and provided that the mechanics, general gameplay and storyline would be good, it could easily hold its own. Honestly, it's almost weird nobody has done it, given how much bigger the market is now and how much lower the production cost would be compared to major titles.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Only played it for 2 hours, but Fallout 4 is by far the most aesthetically pleasing. I always thought FO1&2 were pretty ugly, and New Vegas needs a lot of mods to look decent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom