Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but why do you think it will be a trainwreck?
Something something cargo cult design, something something european quality shovelware.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If anything this is one of the Kickstarter projects that feels "safe". They don't go overboard with the stretch goals and they already have the groundwork done.
Also no fancy graphical engines etc, focus on the gameplay. Sure there are things in there that are tricky but it seems to me that they are aware of that

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If anything this is one of the Kickstarter projects that feels "safe". They don't go overboard with the stretch goals and they already have the groundwork done.
Also no fancy graphical engines etc, focus on the gameplay. Sure there are things in there that are tricky but it seems to me that they are aware of that

This Kickstarter (and I've seen them all so far) is the safest Incline in making, I've ever seen. It even has solid chance to reach first three stretch goals in next ~50h!

So far 1/3 reached, next station: Prestigious Prose from Battle Bros writers!

V_K

Arcane
They don't go overboard with the stretch goals
That's because their baseline is a huge feature creep already.
Don't get me wrong, I want them to deliver. But having Ultima-like physics and dynamic worldmap and a huge gameworld with several kingdoms/cultures and complex tactical combat and who knows what else seems just a taaaaaaad overambitious.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Don't get me wrong, I want them to deliver. But having Ultima-like physics and dynamic worldmap and a huge gameworld with several kingdoms/cultures and complex tactical combat and who knows what else seems just a taaaaaaad overambitious.
They should merge Realms Beyond with Archmage Rises.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Does the game have Ultima-like physics? Many items in the environment are interactable (as in you can click on them and stuff happens) but I'm actually not sure you can drag them around and stuff.

V_K

Arcane

Does the game have Ultima-like physics? Many items in the environment are interactable (as in you can click on them and stuff happens) but I'm actually not sure you can drag them around and stuff.
Well, the update on interactivity promises toppling carts and digging under rocks. I guess they never say whether those interactions are scripted or physics-based. But if they're scripted, that means even more workload arguably - just on the level designers rather than programmers.

Aegidius

Educated

Well, the update on interactivity promises toppling carts and digging under rocks. I guess they never say whether those interactions are scripted or physics-based. But if they're scripted, that means even more workload arguably - just on the level designers rather than programmers.

I think they mentioned the digging under rocks is scripted IIRC. I suspect the clicking on items and maybe dragging them is not physics based, but maybe just exposing the level design item placement tool for use by the in game engine. I’m not a game developer but maybe writing a set of APIs between the engine and the tool might be a low cost way of increasing game world interaction.

Bohr

Arcane
Usual arrangement for those wanting extra copies:

B4DTVYNf_o.png

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They should merge Realms Beyond with Archmage Rises.
They should merge with Demons Age.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Elder Update IV: Skyrim https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ceresgames/realms-beyond-ashes-of-the-fallen/posts/2344250

A Glimpse of Our World, Part 4: Kvenland

The realm of Kvenland, defined by its dense pine forests and tall mountains, is primarily settled by four major tribes.

Vadians
At the southern shore of lake Kallvatn, right in the heart of Kvenland, at a point where several rivers convene, a trading post named Vadaheim was built. After the Great Cataclysm, the sky had darkened for several years and the cold north missed out on a couple of summers. This led to large masses of ice forming in the mountains, and once the climate normalized the ice melted and raised the water level of the lake, flooding parts of Vadaheim. An enterprising people, not willing to give up their city and stop their profitable trading operations, the Vadians converted their ships into rudimentary homes. Still today many of them live in house-boats and use these mobile homes on their mercantile journeys, traveling down the rivers with their entire families. Most Vadians are in the service of one of the two powerful families ruling the city of Vadaheim. Those who live in the town are better off joining one of the two families than staying neutral – which risks attracting the wrath of both the Ingvarsons and the Grimharsons. For independence is only an option for those who can assert it. But since the long-running feud between the two houses had adverse effects on commerce, they agreed to an armistice and divided the city amongst themselves. But if there is an opportunity to siphon the other family’s profits into their own pockets, they always take it – there may be an armistice between them, but in business, everything is allowed.

Click for high-res version

A common saying among the Vadians is, "By Valon’s golden apples!" which is an expression of surprise over an unexpectedly profitable business transaction that pulled more gold out of their customer’s pocket than they anticipated.

The origin of this expression is the myth of Valon, patron deity of merchants as well as those who acquire the property of others by cunning means, who helped an impoverished old man. This man owned nothing but a barren, rocky piece of land with a single apple tree that no longer bore fruit. He desperately called for the aid of his god, and Valon finally heard his prayers. He gave the old man a basket with three golden apples which would turn to dust as soon as he gave them away. Valon also forbid him from telling anyone where he got the apples from, and he was not allowed to sell his land before three moons had passed. The old man shrugged, as nobody would want to buy his worthless piece of land anyway, and asked what use the apples would be to him if he couldn’t sell them. Valon merely told him to carry them through town in their basket, uncovered so all could see them, and have a cup of wine at the tavern. "But how should I pay for the wine?" asked the old man. "With the apples, without promising them to another," was the god’s answer, and then he returned to his realm.

The old man did as he was told, and everyone was curious about the golden apples he carried in his basket. Indeed, the tavernkeep not only served him a cup of wine on the house, but also prepared a platter with the best food he had in stock. Soon more and more people asked the old man why he still lived in his rotten old hut and wanted to know whether his land was for sale. With a heavy heart he rejected all the offers he received, which led to the townspeople shoveling ever more gifts upon him in the hopes of gaining the old man’s favor. Soon he lived in one of the largest houses in town, and those who showered him with gifts hoped he would sell them his piece of land with the tree that, so they believed, would be rich with golden apples at the next harvest. Once three moons had passed, he accepted the best offer that was made to him, which was much higher than the best offer made to him three moons ago. Just at that moment his three golden apples vanished. The debts he had with others were not collected, since his creditors were happy to have such a wealthy man as their friend. Only to the poor soul who had purchased the worthless strip of land the old man gave a basket full of apples. Stingy as he now was, however, they were just normal apples, red and green instead of gold, as you can only be truly rich when others are poor – a popular saying among the people of Vadaheim.

Veštani
The Veštani are a peaceful people who value a honest heart over a sharp sword – for which they have little use, anyway, as they prefer to use spear and shield in combat.

Around the village Kvilu, which is located at the eastern end of the Lurking Forest, they herd their flocks of sheep and till the earth of their fields in peace. Their evenings they spend in community, listening to the music of the flute and stories of strange creatures and ominous events, which might stem from their tendency for superstition which their priests can only shake their heads over, as try as they might, they cannot drive it out of them. It might be encouraged by their elders, whom they highly respect, as they warn the younger generations of all the dangers lurking in the depths of the forest, amongst the shadows of the trees.

b0871f3fd6a7e8ae3036a6ab3bc69433_original.jpg

But Kvilu is not as peaceful as it may seem, as the Veštani regularly fall victim to raids of the Gauds, a tribe they share a bitter enmity with.

But voices of reason no longer manage to calm those who lost their loved ones and their homes to the Gaudian raids. Especially the younger generations either support an escalation of the conflict to strike back at the hated enemy in force, or think of leaving their homes for greener pastures. From Vadian merchants they heard stories of prosperous towns and lives without hardship beyond the forests of Kvenland, and now grow weary of the simple and uncertain life in Kvilu.

Gauds
The Gauds are known as the most feared and remorseless warriors of Kvenland, settled in the rough lands to the north of the great lake. Ever since he had slain a dragon on the mountain of Dauganrög, they worship their king almost as a god. After his heroic deed the Gauds hailed King Odulf’s under his new name – Sigimer the Dragonslayer. Together with his retinue he founded the town of Güldinheim, which today has become the most important city of the Gauds.

The king’s treasury is filled to the brim with all kinds of riches, but also with plenty of curiosities – a collection he constantly seeks to expand. He is especially fond of artifacts from a long extinct tribe, whose king Hodar, for whose exploits there are no sources but the songs of bards, is said to have ruled the entirety of Kvenland and even projected the power of his kingdom deep into the lands of Cormac. This legendary king is, to Sigimer, an example to follow. He wants to forge a kingdom to rival Hodar‘s, and he is ready to ally with the Vresians and mercenaries of Vadaheim to take the rich lands of Cormac’s north under his control. But he will never make peace with the Veštani, as his son Sigurt lost his life on a cattle raid against them. Had he the resources for it, he would long ago have marched against Kvilu to raze it to the ground. But the day will come when his wrath will triumph over the worldly concerns of logistics, and for this day he is already prepared.

63cbf324cd3642cc81ec8b7d10fba314_original.jpg

Even his daughter Siglind he kept from a woman’s comfortable life of home and marriage, so her sword would always be ready for war and not dulled by the need to care for offspring. So he declared her to be a sword maiden, and any men who dare touch her will be condemned to death by stoning.

Vresians
325d238a5a09b5e2141afae3b011caf8_original.jpg

On a northern bay of the Galtan Sea, Vindeborg sits as the largest town of Kvenland as well as the most important settlement of the Vresians, who are known to be excellent shipwrights and seafarers as well as fearless explorers. The fishermen not only set out to drag their nets through the deep waters, but add to their catch by raiding and looting other ships. Their reputation of engaging in piracy is widespread and almost sealed their fate 200 years ago. Too long they provoked Cormac on the waters, which culminated in a crushing blow against their tribe. Once, they had reveled in their independence, their leaders chosen by election and ready to step down whenever the people grew unhappy with their rule; following this horrible defeat, they put their fate into the hands of the most charismatic among them. Unnar Usbek became the first king of the Vresians and swore on the ruins of old Vindeborg to take revenge on the Cormacian attackers, even if it took generations to pay them back for what they did.

b7e01abf137847aef451d968b5d73005_original.jpg

Ever since, the Vresians have worked at erecting an impregnable fortress and training a formidable fighting force to bring the fire of vengeance against Cormac’s shores. They suffered a major setback thanks to the Great Cataclysm, but Bjar Rabek, the most influential advisor of king Hjör, claims that the time has come to make true the promise of the forefathers. He feels obligated to fulfill the old oath of vengeance, whereas the people are fearful of a war they consider to be hopeless, while a longing for the old freedom spreads through their hearts, symbolized by a white albatross – the animal that adorned the Vresian banners before they had a king, and which has now become a call for open resistance, scrawled on the walls in white chalk.

9764766a88c2bc31332abff4dcfd39a5_original.jpg

This update is also available in German language.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Nice to see a different biome in this update. The team would do well to present a varied set of environments in the campaign, if only to tease at the modding potential to world builders. They have already made the right call by going with a tile-based, what-you-see-is-what-you-get system, the rest is going to be up to luck basically.

I wonder if it's possible to mod in new classes/prestige classes, feats, spells etc?

Bohr

Arcane
Nice to see a different biome in this update. The team would do well to present a varied set of environments in the campaign, if only to tease at the modding potential to world builders. They have already made the right call by going with a tile-based, what-you-see-is-what-you-get system, the rest is going to be up to luck basically.

I wonder if it's possible to mod in new classes/prestige classes, feats, spells etc?

TharagavverugCollaboratorabout 23 hours ago
As we previously said, you can modify the rules but not exchange them with something radically different. It's based on the d20 system used by 3.5, and while you can modify rules a bit, you can't outright change them to be something different.

You can create new items and spells, yes. Using effects already implemented by us to make new items or spells with these effects is pretty easy. Creating completely new effects would be a lot more difficult, though.

You can import your own models, animations, sounds, textures, etc, but of course creating all this would be a big task for the modders.

---

Ceres GamesCreatorSuperbackerabout 21 hours ago
You will be able to modify/extend all the components of the 3.5e ruleset: Classes, feats, skills, spells, races and actions. Like, for example, Pathfinder did.

But you will not be able to switch to complete different rulesets such as the 4th/5th edition, or to AD&D, because the basic structure of 3.5e/D20 is hardcoded in our game.

deuxhero

Arcane
king’s treasury is filled to the brim with all kinds of riches[...] his son Sigurt lost his life on a cattle raid against them

Can't he just get Raise Dead cast? Did he die in a particularly flashy and corpse destroying way?

deuxhero

Arcane
ArchAngel
If we go purely by the SRD
In addition, not every town or village has a spellcaster of sufficient level to cast any spell. In general, you must travel to a small town (or larger settlement) to be reasonably assured of finding a spellcaster capable of casting 1st-level spells, a large town for 2nd-level spells, a small city for 3rd- or 4th-level spells, a large city for 5th- or 6th-level spells, and a metropolis for 7th- or 8th-level spells. Even a metropolis isn’t guaranteed to have a local spellcaster able to cast 9th-level spells.
Any small city should be capable of finding someone who can raise dead.

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel
If we go purely by the SRD
In addition, not every town or village has a spellcaster of sufficient level to cast any spell. In general, you must travel to a small town (or larger settlement) to be reasonably assured of finding a spellcaster capable of casting 1st-level spells, a large town for 2nd-level spells, a small city for 3rd- or 4th-level spells, a large city for 5th- or 6th-level spells, and a metropolis for 7th- or 8th-level spells. Even a metropolis isn’t guaranteed to have a local spellcaster able to cast 9th-level spells.
Any small city should be capable of finding someone who can raise dead.
That is just a guideline and for high magic worlds. Maybe this world is not high magic one.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Money mountain's peak reached second stretch goal! Prestigious prose from Battle Bros will improve the game.

Will these writers and Codexers at heart write product labels for shoes throughout Argea or will they become full fledged team members of Ceres Games, picture below holds the inclined answer:
egh5Zjm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom