Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Most of Andromeda was crap, but the core shooter gameplay loop wasn't bad. I was hoping that Anthem would lean into the best parts of that and at least produce a solid coop shooter, but early looks at the classes make them seem incredibly generic and uninteresting which is kind of a dealbreaker for a shooter looter with some pretty heavy competition. The whole thing just begs the question, "Why would I play this over something else?" even if you like the genre.

Codex Year of the Donut
Most of Andromeda was crap, but the core shooter gameplay loop wasn't bad. I was hoping that Anthem would lean into the best parts of that and at least produce a solid coop shooter, but early looks at the classes make them seem incredibly generic and uninteresting which is kind of a dealbreaker for a shooter looter with some pretty heavy competition. The whole thing just begs the question, "Why would I play this over something else?" even if you like the genre.
what competition does it have?

The Division, Borderlands, and Destiny. I like looter shooters (please no ban), and have played all of these a decent amount. So to quickly break it down: The Division is probably the weakest of the three (with iffy loot and the least interesting setting), it still has a really pretty rendition of an apocalyptic New York, some of the gear sets are actually pretty nifty, and some of the missions are surprisingly well put together. The upcoming sequel looks to be widening the character customization, but it'll also most likely get held back by the setting's need to not have crazy sci-fi weaponry. Borderlands (pick one) is a repetitive, poorly written mess, but it also has a really wild pseudo-randomly-generated weapon selection, and 2 and the Pre-sequel have some pretty fun classes to play as. And finally, Destiny 2 (can't speak to the first one; it didn't come to PC) has some really awesome coop activities (raiding with a group of competent players is a really good time), and the insane budget basically allows everyone to be colossal badasses with crazy powers that are stupidly well-animated and covered with detailed particle effects.

These are fairly reductive comments, and I'm leaving out more specific flaws or praises because that could go on for days, but all of these games have something to attract you to them. Hell, even Fallout 76 could be considered a sort of competition, and it has a consistent open world that - despite the insane amounts of incredibly obvious flaws the game has - is apparently reasonably entertaining to explore with buddies. What does Anthem have?

Codex Year of the Donut

The Division, Borderlands, and Destiny. I like looter shooters (please no ban), and have played all of these a decent amount. So to quickly break it down: The Division is probably the weakest of the three (with iffy loot and the least interesting setting), it still has a really pretty rendition of an apocalyptic New York, some of the gear sets are actually pretty nifty, and some of the missions are surprisingly well put together. The upcoming sequel looks to be widening the character customization, but it'll also most likely get held back by the setting's need to not have crazy sci-fi weaponry. Borderlands (pick one) is a repetitive, poorly written mess, but it also has a really wild pseudo-randomly-generated weapon selection, and 2 and the Pre-sequel have some pretty fun classes to play as. And finally, Destiny 2 (can't speak to the first one; it didn't come to PC) has some really awesome coop activities (raiding with a group of competent players is a really good time), and the insane budget basically allows everyone to be colossal badasses with crazy powers that are stupidly well-animated and covered with detailed particle effects.

These are fairly reductive comments, and I'm leaving out more specific flaws or praises because that could go on for days, but all of these games have something to attract you to them. Hell, even Fallout 76 could be considered a sort of competition, and it has a consistent open world that - despite the insane amounts of incredibly obvious flaws the game has - is apparently reasonably entertaining to explore with buddies. What does Anthem have?
borderlands isn't in competition with online looter shooters. The Division's appeal is low because(as you stated) it's really hindered by its setting. Personally that was the reason I couldn't get into it at all.
The only competition is Destiny 2. Albeit, they have put a lot more effort into the game and reassigned their A team to it after they ran it into the ground.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is going to hit the "shelves" in 4 months and there is no major info, PR movement?
Real final nail on the coffin for BEAware?

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does EA have any studios left?

BioWare will likely go after this. Then we have DICE, but they have really underperformed with their last releases. And from what I have read the studio is in turmoil. So what other studios? The ones that make Fifa?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
BioWare will likely go after this.
Activision-Blizzard said they are unhappy with Destiny, the Destiny fans are saying they are unhappy with the game, so maybe the "Destiny crowd" are up for the taking? I am pessimistic about Anthem, but I wouldn't say its destined (hehehe) to fail.
I'm thinking it will be 2/10 as an RPG, and all the core Bioware and RPG fans will dislike it, including romance tumblerinas. However, it will probably be a 6/10 or better action game, and maybe will find a new crowd.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks mediocre as an action game also, but who knows. I tried Destiny and it's perplexing why people even play it.

Codex Year of the Donut
If it's a decent shooter looter with actual RPG mechanics it will sell like hotcakes. There's a huge market there for the taking.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
If it's a decent shooter looter with actual RPG mechanics it will sell like hotcakes. There's a huge market there for the taking.

OK. Huge market. Based on what?

The success of Destiny 2?
The Division?

Those are semi-successful I guess.

Add Anthem to that market, it gets a bit crowded. It's not like Anthem is going to grow that market to new players.

How is there a huge market for the taking? Are you on cocaine right now?

Codex Year of the Donut

OK. Huge market. Based on what?

The success of Destiny 2?
The Division?

Those are semi-successful I guess.

Add Anthem to that market, it gets a bit crowded. It's not like Anthem is going to grow that market to new players.

How is there a huge market for the taking? Are you on cocaine right now?
You're pointing to games that are complete failures but still managed to be financial successes just because there's no real alternatives.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
You're pointing to games that are complete failures but still managed to be financial successes just because there's no real alternatives.

'K.

So they are "complete failures" but are "financially successful". Whatever.

I'm pointing to the other shooter RPGs available, and the market there is for them. Anthem is going to try to draw from the same market as those "financially successful, yet complete failures". Then well have three complete failures, and perhaps none of them financially successful.

Great success!

Codex Year of the Donut

'K.

So they are "complete failures" but are "financially successful". Whatever.

I'm pointing to the other shooter RPGs available, and the market there is for them. Anthem is going to try to draw from the same market as those "financially successful, yet complete failures". Then well have three complete failures, and perhaps none of them financially successful.

Great success!
Mass Effect Andromeda was a complete failure but also financially successful, what's your point?

Codex Year of the Donut

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just skimmed trough this videos after i saw the EA's crashing stocks and decided to check anthem,it is surprisingly ugly. I personally don't care for this games or graphics,but their audience does,it is surprisingly meh,doubt that they will like.

Mustawd

Yah, he’s right about this. The article Rusty posted basically references a line from the earnings release as the reason why we should think Andromeda is profitable.

“Year-on-year growth was driven by the Mass Effect: Andromeda sales, captured in the quarter and by FIFA,”

For one, as Atlantico pointed out, topline revenue growth is not indicative of profitability.

Second, it’s just year over year growth. So what? It’s bundled with a bunch of other games. Andromeda led the growth, but it’s gonna make sales regardless. YoY growth is helpful from a company perspective, but definitely not to see profitability on a game by game basis.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Yah, he’s right about this. The article Rusty posted basically references a line from the earnings release as the reason why we should think Andromeda is profitable.

The only hard evidence we have about ME:A's success (or lack thereof) is that all DLC was cancelled and the studio (BW Montreal) disbanded and the entire franchise indefinitely shelved.

There's no doubt about it, ME:A was a failure, not a success and certainly not a profit-maker.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

:roll:
How about you unignore me instead of posting shit i have posted already?

EDIT:Maybe someone could replay to this so the glorious jew see the alert :). I am still impressed by myself,i am the only one that managed to piss him off enough to get ignored.....ahhh the power of rakija.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom