Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lord Andre

Arcane
To each his own but in my mind some of y'all have been tricked by shit mmo mentality.

You don't need to tank. You need to smash face. This is still D&D damn it, if your enemies aren't eating dirt after 3 rounds, you're larping. Most encounters, including bosses, can be beat in half the time if you spec your party for actually hitting enemies instead of jerking them around.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But also in many encounters your first character to be focused by enemies can be dead in the 1st round if his/her AC isn't up to par and if you don't succeed / don't have/don't want to waste appropriate CC...

Reinhardt

Arcane
To each his own but in my mind some of y'all have been tricked by shit mmo mentality.

You don't need to tank. You need to smash face. This is still D&D damn it, if your enemies aren't eating dirt after 3 rounds, you're larping. Most encounters, including bosses, can be beat in half the time if you spec your party for actually hitting enemies instead of jerking them around.

Nigga, you literally listed half of your party with longswords and shields.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How does that work with the pay BP to level up your companions stuff?
Does that mean it's possible to play with XP sharing off and a smaller party thus getting more XP and then level up the other guys by just paying some BP?
Wait, what? I beat the game and I never saw one of those projects, I only got the "Improve X's effectiveness as an advisor" cards. How do you get this option?
It's only for advanced, skillful players that turn off XP-sharing so you end up with underleveled characters! If they are super-underleveled, that project shows up. That's how I figure it.

I don't know, I am not advanced or skillful so I share XP. Who knows which party member the game will force me to use after the bugs randomly kill half my party in the last chapter?!

Reinhardt

Arcane
I don't know, I am not advanced or skillful so I share XP. Who knows which party member the game will force me to use after the bugs randomly kill half my party in the last chapter?!
Don't forget to equip everyone too. You can't loot party members corpses(or it's another bug - i don't know) so after i've lost half of my active party i was forced to use new guys with whatever stuff they had equipped before.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
How does that work with the pay BP to level up your companions stuff?
Does that mean it's possible to play with XP sharing off and a smaller party thus getting more XP and then level up the other guys by just paying some BP?
You can also pay for new party members that would be the same level as your main character.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But i am playing on normal normal aka full crits, full damage and normal enemies instead of weaker.
Normal enemies still have their stats boosted above the RAW. :M If you're good at making characters and tactics you can manage but it's not normal as defined by the people who made the ruleset.

Lord Andre

Arcane

Nah, I don't actually use Valerie at all. Can't stand her.

My current party is 2H Fighter (main char), Undead chick (longsword+shield), Harrim (with whatever and shield), Amiri (2H Fighter/Barb), Linzi and Wizard Mercenary specialized in nuking shit.

Decided to stop playing and wait for 1.1. That's why I'm talking trash instead of playing - I'm bored.

drexciya

Augur
Question; what's the most efficient way to get Octavia into the Arcane Trickster Class?
You need Sneak 2, but that implies more levels of Rogue, which is bad for her development as a Wizard.

Has Act 1 really been nerfed in the patches, or have I become somewhat competent in this game?
I'm doing much better now, then in my first run. I've applied some of the tips, which were mentioned earlier,
I've switched Amiri to a Glaive, focused Valerie on defense and aggro, and you regularly need to go all out
with buffs and debuffs.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Normal enemies still have their stats boosted above the RAW
Everything below challenging is really easy. No idea why people are complaining about "normal" difficulty level, that one is basically roflstomp everything. And challenging is only challenging during Chapter 1.

Question; what's the most efficient way to get Octavia into the Arcane Trickster Class?
take accomplished sneak attacker feat

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
But i am playing on normal normal aka full crits, full damage and normal enemies instead of weaker.
Normal enemies still have their stats boosted above the RAW. :M If you're good at making characters and tactics you can manage but it's not normal as defined by the people who made the ruleset.
True, "Normal" difficulty, which is set up to basically be PnP level, sets enemies to "slightly weaker."

Nah, I don't actually use Valerie at all. Can't stand her.

My current party is 2H Fighter (main char), Undead chick (longsword+shield), Harrim (with whatever and shield), Amiri (2H Fighter/Barb), Linzi and Wizard Mercenary specialized in nuking shit.

Decided to stop playing and wait for 1.1. That's why I'm talking trash instead of playing - I'm bored.
Ok, so only 1/3 of your party is S&B then, not half. Still, having the ability to tank is helpful when you're outnumbered, because action economy is important.

You need Sneak 2, but that implies more levels of Rogue, which is bad for her development as a Wizard.

Has Act 1 really been nerfed in the patches, or have I become somewhat competent in this game?
I'm doing much better now, then in my first run. I've applied some of the tips, which were mentioned earlier,
I've switched Amiri to a Glaive, focused Valerie on defense and aggro, and you regularly need to go all out
with buffs and debuffs.
Act 1 has been nerfed a little bit, but it's mostly probably you being more experienced.
Don't take more Rogue levels with Octavia, just take the Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat. The requirement for AT is 2d6 Sneak Attack, does not matter how you get them.

cw8

Cipher
Used the Warpainted Skull of Duthica for the 2nd time. And again the 2 barbarian spirits cut through everything. Trivialised the Ancient Curse Part 5 fight. They cut the Fey up in seconds, 100+ crits. Anyone actually used it as well? Seems OP. Restarted the fight without summoning the 2 spirits.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
It's not totally wrong to point out the MMO mentality, but it's not as much about the players, as about devs. Majority of modern RPGs has combat mechanics designed around MMO archetypes and pathfinder is no different. Take simplistic aggro mechanics for instance. You can circumvent that, but it's just not efficient given number of fights you face across the entire game.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Used the Warpainted Skull of Duthica for the 2nd time. And again the 2 barbarian spirits cut through everything. Trivialised the Ancient Curse Part 5 fight. They cut the Fey up in seconds, 100+ crits. Anyone actually used it as well? Seems OP. Restarted the fight without summoning the 2 spirits.
Yup. By far the best item I've found so far. They cut through everything to the point I suspect them to be bugged.

panda

Savant

You don't need to tank. You need to smash face. This is still D&D damn it, if your enemies aren't eating dirt after 3 rounds, you're larping.
You need tank if you don't want to rest too often. "Tanking" here has a meaning of not just beating an encounter in different fashion, but beating this encounter witout loss of any resources(spells, potions, scrolls, hp, whatever). Bump frontliner's AC through the roof, so he she can only be hit by natural 20 and you can roll over mobs without resting literally until party gets exhausted.

Yup. By far the best item I've found so far. They cut through everything to the point I suspect them to be bugged.
Why bugged? They are just shittier version of late game Amiri.
nREuSn3.png

Van-d-all

Erudite
Why bugged? They are just shittier version of late game Amiri.
Bugged in a sense that having two dispensable high level barbs with ghostly feats slapped on for good measure, somewhat equates to expanding the party to 8 characters, and that is just way too OP. I wouldn't be too surprised if they were supposed to be under leveled or otherwise handicapped but someone didn't get the memo. And yes, I know, that roughly around the time you get that helmet, you can also just Create Undead, but analogically I treat the lack of summoned HD limit from P&P a bug.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think you'll be happy to have them in the next two chapters if what I am experiencing around Pitax now, and read from the Wild Hunt, is any indication...
Castle of Knives, more like Castle of Reloading

Lord Andre

Arcane
You don't need to tank. You need to smash face.
Well, the smashing face bit improved a lot after bringing in a guy with 40+ AC so the AI wastes its time trying to hit him while the pally shoves a +5 greatsword up their ass.

Or... you could have 2 pallies with 2 Greatswords shoving 2 things at the same time. Pimp wisdom dictates that a hoe may take a BBC up her ass but two BBCs will wreck her shit.... Can't argue with Pimp wisdom. :shittydog:

Besides that, Falchion master race >>>> greatsword :obviously:

You need tank if you don't want to rest too often. "Tanking" here has a meaning of not just beating an encounter in different fashion, but beating this encounter witout loss of any resources(spells, potions, scrolls, hp, whatever). Bump frontliner's AC through the roof, so he she can only be hit by natural 20 and you can roll over mobs without resting literally until party gets exhausted.

Meh, you can go plenty without resting by virtue of surprise rounds and alpha striking since most of the fights you can initiate at your leisure. Not to mention that there are plenty of encounters with bomb throwers, wizards, archers etc. who can go over your tank and wreck the rest of your party up.

Still there are situations where a high AC comes in handy, like fighting a map full of little shits that can apply drains or poisons on hit.

Anyway to each their own. It's just my own opinion that tanking is more of a low level crutch than an optimum way of playing. In the end there's probably not much of a difference.

panda

Savant
Bugged in a sense that having two dispensable high level barbs with ghostly feats slapped on for good measure, somewhat equates to expanding the party to 8 characters, and that is just way too OP
For 20 rounds once per day, you can't control them, they actually die really fast against foes you'd want to use them against, e.t.c...
Idk, maybe we just have different idea of "way too OP". Like, Greater Shout - that IMO truly was OP shit. Maybe The Heart of Ira, but not these guys.
I mean they are strong, one of the strongest summons in game, no doubt about that, but i would not call them OMG OP BROKEN.

panda

Savant
Just how does that bitch get a +50 str bonus? ;x
It is +40 dmg(power attack + rage + Str item + Legendary Enlarge + Linzi), Vanquisher has built in +10.
And the real question is WTF is one need to do with her to not get these numbers.

Last edited:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Just how does that bitch get a +50 str bonus? ;x
It is +40(power attack + rage + Str item + Legendary Enlarge + Linzi), Vanquisher has built in +10.
And the real question is WTF is one need to do with her to not get these numbers.

No idea, I couldn't stand her so I kicked her out and never used her past the first chapter. :D But it seems totally broken.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Bugged in a sense that having two dispensable high level barbs with ghostly feats slapped on for good measure, somewhat equates to expanding the party to 8 characters, and that is just way too OP
For 20 rounds once per day, you can't control them, they actually die really fast against foes you'd want to use them against, e.t.c...
Idk, maybe we just have different idea of "way too OP". Like, Greater Shout - that IMO truly was OP shit. Maybe The Heart of Ira, but not these guys.
I mean they are strong, one of the strongest summons in game, no doubt about that, but i would not call them OMG OP BROKEN.
Well IMO Greater Shout is lolcopter level of broken. And Heart Of Ira is pure cheese, plus the fact it's just lying there in a random box. Those barbs are borderline, as I wrote, "suspected as" broken.

I've also released them at those adamantine golems in Harrm's quest, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to go so easy. So I even compared that fight to one without them and it took twice as long to put those bastards down.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Most characters have better use for head slot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom