Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Give me your uber meta builds for hard!
1 level of vivisectionist
- get mutagen
- get lvl1 spells for true strike
- get 2d6 sneak dice if you take accomplished sneak attacker

2 levels of EA magus
- spell combat and spell strike->add your sneak dice 2x per round and gain +1 attack
- get more true strike slots

Rest ranger bow style
- smilodon
- access to hurrican bow, sense vitals, aspect of falcon

You can do this with Ekun too to great effect.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Make sure that Crane Wing and Crane Riposte actually still work with Spell Combat (which should count as dual-wielding). They seem to be fixed to no longer work with sword & board.
Crane Wing works with Spell Combat, I just checked. Presumably Crane Riposte should too, then.

VentilatorOfDoom if this is a "meh"gus what would you recommend changing?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, I just don't understand the appeal of melee magus tbh, but having seen the magus spell list I think it's garbage above spell lvl4, so I'd rather take 1 monk level instead of investing 2 feats. Also, all melee that don't reach a high enough AC are just too much trouble micromanaging imo.

Wolfe

Arbiter
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Pathfinder, any tips for building a paladin wielding two-handers?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Well, I just don't understand the appeal of melee magus tbh, but having seen the magus spell list I think it's garbage above spell lvl4, so I'd rather take 1 monk level instead of investing 2 feats. Also, all melee that don't reach a high enough AC are just too much trouble micromanaging imo.
The feats are to get better AC, though, and not multiclassing partly is also, to get heavier armor.
As for the appeal of melee magus, I dunno I just think it's cool. Critting with a maximized Vampiric Touch to do like 200 damage and get 120 THP for example is neat.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Pathfinder, any tips for building a paladin wielding two-handers?
be strong
be charismatic
be paladin
take a two-hander
Probably also be an Angelkin Aasimar for +2 STR and +2 CHA which are your two main attributes. Also being persuasive is a good idea.

Edit: aha, and take power attack feat asap. For a high starting STR, full BAB, two-hander using character it's really good. It also opens some additional options because it's a prerequisite for several feats, among them cornugon smash might be of interest for a persuasive, high CHA character like two-hander wielding Paladin.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well, you can get a lot out of those low level spells. Get either get a metamagic rod for Intensify or take the Intensified Spell feat, which:

Benefit: An intensified spell increases the maximum number of damage dice by 5 levels. You must actually have sufficient caster levels to surpass the maximum in order to benefit from this feat. No other variables of the spell are affected, and spells that inflict damage that is not modified by caster level are not affected by this feat.

Level Increase: +1 (an intensified spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.)

That turns Shocking Grasp into a level 2 spell that can do up to 10d6 damage at level 10.

Lawntoilet, if you're not turning your weapons Keen, you might want the critical feat that doubles your threat range for spellstrike.

razvedchiki

Erudite
OK so i wanna tank(like in front line) and wield a two hander witcher style and i came up with this build

-4 lvls of alc for the mutagen and self buffs
-1 lvl of monk for crane stlye since i will be fighitng on defence style.
- rest 2 hander.

also i tried with cheat engine to see if aldori defender gets decent ac on later lvls but he still lags behind,what defencing feats are best suited for him?

vazha

Arcane
and the third one has necrotic damage.
Upd as for how to fit it in, depends on your class and suppose. if you re of a weapon enchanting type, you can always forego an improved crit feat and enchant your weapon as keen.

Okay, I've built her workshop, about to start her quests. Should I tell her something specific to increase the chance of getting a Fauchard (instead of a Kama for example)?

I think I will skip Preserve Organs -> Mummification to get Fauchard proficiency + earlier access to some other feats (and also will skip the second Fighter level down the line). Cold, Paralysis and Sleep immunities & partial Crit resistance would be kinda cool, but eh... there are element resist spells and Freedom of Movement. Think most sleep effects are HD limited? Though there might be one higher version.

Btw. Crane Wing/Riposte seems to no longer work if you don't have a free hand.
dont know about maharaja, but mummification is super awesome do not skip it

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, but what part of mummification will I really miss if I have Freedom of Movement? Cold, sleep immunity?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
OK so i wanna tank(like in front line) and wield a two hander witcher style and i came up with this build

-4 lvls of alc for the mutagen and self buffs
-1 lvl of monk for crane stlye since i will be fighitng on defence style.
- rest 2 hander.

also i tried with cheat engine to see if aldori defender gets decent ac on later lvls but he still lags behind,what defencing feats are best suited for him?
Not sure if you really need 4 levels of vivi. You will only get one level 2 spell slot and one level 2 spell IIRC (unless you go with 14 INT which you might not want to) with 4 levels. Not worth it really in my opinion. And you will delay your fighter level so much that you practically never reach the cool stuff from two-handed fighter which comes normally at level 11 and 15 but in your case 16 and never. Unless by "2 hander" you meant Paladin with a 2-handed weapon but still, similar reasoning applies. I'd consider only taking 1 level of vivisectionist and if you go fighter and plan on going STR and using heavy armor - forget about monk, you have enough feats, you can take crane style normally, paying 1 feat tax (improved unarmed strike) along the way. You also need Dodge and 13+ DEX iirc but that's something you might want anyway. In short, just go Vivi 1/Fighter X (or Vivi 1/Paladin X). Or alternatively go for Vivisectionist and add Fighter 1 for the proficiencies.
Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Yosharian

Arcane
So, how does this build look for a Str Magus in the beta? Not sure if I should bother with Exotic Weapon Prof for Bloodhound, or use Bear God Scimitar or the Masterpiece Longsword (even though it won't crit as much).

L1. Combat Casting, Dodge (Human Bonus)

L3. Power Attack

L5. Improved Unarmed Strike, Crane Style (Bonus)

L7. Outflank

L9. Crane Wing

L11. Crane Riposte, Combat Reflexes

L13. Spell Penetration

L15. Blindfight (now that it protects from Gazes it's much more useful, maybe invaluable for endgame)

L17. Greater Spell Pen, Exotic Weapon Prof: Dueling Sword for Bloodhound?

I know I could get Crane Style easier with a Monk level, but I sort of want to push through for armor proficiencies and spell progression even though I'll end up a little bit feat-starved.
If you're not going Monk, ditch Crane Style. It's too expensive.

Power Attack is a bad investment in my opinion. You want to boost your attack, not lower it.

You need Spell Pen/GSP much earlier than that.

I think you can get away with not taking Combat Casting.

Combat Reflexes? Why?

razvedchiki

Erudite
4 lvls on alc is for the buffs duration,i dont want to rest spam every 2 fights.maybe then 2 alc lvls are better.
what 2handed weapons (not reach) have the best availability through the chapters?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
So, how does this build look for a Str Magus in the beta? Not sure if I should bother with Exotic Weapon Prof for Bloodhound, or use Bear God Scimitar or the Masterpiece Longsword (even though it won't crit as much).

L1. Combat Casting, Dodge (Human Bonus)

L3. Power Attack

L5. Improved Unarmed Strike, Crane Style (Bonus)

L7. Outflank

L9. Crane Wing

L11. Crane Riposte, Combat Reflexes

L13. Spell Penetration

L15. Blindfight (now that it protects from Gazes it's much more useful, maybe invaluable for endgame)

L17. Greater Spell Pen, Exotic Weapon Prof: Dueling Sword for Bloodhound?

I know I could get Crane Style easier with a Monk level, but I sort of want to push through for armor proficiencies and spell progression even though I'll end up a little bit feat-starved.
If you're not going Monk, ditch Crane Style. It's too expensive.

Power Attack is a bad investment in my opinion. You want to boost your attack, not lower it.

You need Spell Pen/GSP much earlier than that.

I think you can get away with not taking Combat Casting.

Combat Reflexes? Why?
Combat Reflexes: party will have Outflank so you get multiple AoOs on crits, it's good against casters because you can get an AoO when they start casting and when they finish casting a ranged spell, and against archers because you get AoOs every time they make an attack.

Power Attack seems fine for lots of enemies, as long as I toggle it off for high-AC enemies, and skipping the Monk level means I don't lose spell or armor proficiency progression to get a big AC bump for one feat tax.
What would you recommend instead of Power Attack and Crane Style/Wing/Riposte, though?

Yosharian

Arcane
Combat Reflexes: party will have Outflank so you get multiple AoOs on crits, it's good against casters because you can get an AoO when they start casting and when they finish casting a ranged spell, and against archers because you get AoOs every time they make an attack.

Power Attack seems fine for lots of enemies, as long as I toggle it off for high-AC enemies, and skipping the Monk level means I don't lose spell or armor proficiency progression to get a big AC bump for one feat tax.
What would you recommend instead of Power Attack and Crane Style/Wing/Riposte, though?
Ok, so what kind of caster isn't using defensive casting, and is instead just letting you have AoOs on them? If that's actually what's happening in-game, then fair enough, it might well be worth it.

However, if they are using defensive casting, then you shouldn't get any AoOs, and taking that feat just to get a few more AoOs on archers doesn't seem worth it.

The AoO on crit thing also seems quite rare to me.

But OK, I guess this feat could be worth it.

Power Attack is mainly useful for breaking DR. When DR isn't an issue, it's really not that good. And the thing with Magus is, they get free +enhancement to their weapons, so you really shouldn't struggle with piercing DR - you should be able to get +5 enhancement very quickly, which pierces everything AFAIK. Definitely by level 9, anyway. It's one of the Magus' best features, actually.

DR bypass by weapon enhancement:
cold iron/silver +3
adamantine* +4
alignment-based +5

So I don't rate Power Attack at all.

What feats to get instead? Not sure right now, I'd have to have a look at the feat list.

Efe

Erudite
wouldnt you rather turn those +5 into holy/axiomatic/bane weapon?

Yosharian

Arcane
wouldnt you rather turn those +5 into holy/axiomatic/bane weapon?
Not if bypassing a creature's DR gives me +10 damage

This is an extreme example, but a Pit Fiend (CR20) has DR 15/Good+silver, a +5 weapon bypasses that.

Though to be fair, a Holy weapon would bypass the Good part, so a +3 Holy weapon would be better than a +5 weapon

But you get the idea, my point is that Magus gives you tons of ways to pierce DR, so Power Attack becomes less valuable

Efe

Erudite
but there aren't any pit fiends in game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom