Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware VR: Finally worth it?

If you had $1000, what would you buy?

• VR headset and accessories

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • ultra-wide gaming monitor

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • another piece of hardware (comment below)

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • an hour with two sluts (kingcomrade)

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters

rohand

Cipher
Renew the whole rig

Gambler

Augur
To understand VR/AR, you need to understand this video:

https://vimeo.com/97903574

Unfortunately, most people cranking out VR software don't get it. It's hilarious that most VR apps still have flat interfaces a-la Windows.

Think about it. You're wearing this amazing 3d vision helmet, and it's used to create a shitty, blurry version of a computer monitor, which displays mostly static text that could be easily printed on paper, which in itself is just a recording of human speech that describes some object or process in the real world. Every layer here could go far beyond what's possible in the previous layer. Speech can be used to describe things that don't exist in real world. Print media can capture and explain things that would be completely impractical in spoken form. Monitors can show dynamic, interactive information that's far richer than anything seen on paper. Finally, VR can move you past interfaces, right into the digital simulation that allows for direct and immediate interaction that takes full advantage of your spacial thinking and kinetic intuition.

Venser

Erudite
Almost a week passed since I last wore VR HMD and my vision is still pretty fucked. Became very sensitive to light after just 3 VR play sesstions. Gonna visit eye doctor on Monday

:negative:

A horse of course

I was playing around with the Blade Runner apartment recreated in Unity (used to be on Steam but WB had it taken down) and the apartment itself was alright, but what really surprised me was when you go round the back to Deckard's balcony and can look out/down onto the cityscape, complete with some of the famous adverts from the opening scene and a police spinner buzzing your floor now and again.

A horse of course

I tried Google's 15m "Age of Sail" VR movie. Wasn't particularly impressed by the art direction and animation style, which made it feel as if the characters were moving at 5fps whilst the seas were running at 90, and the story itself was worse than the average animation short on youtube, but when the seas start churning and the boat is pitched back and forth I had flashbacks to some of the better naval stories I read in my childhood. It's those little moments, when VR almost hits that sweet spot of muh immershuns, you start to feel good about purchasing an overpriced piece of shit that sits on your desk gathering dust for most of the week.

Venser

Erudite
It's like drugs, you know it's bad for you but it's an amazing experience. So I'm still excited about the future of VR. Back to playing PSVR with 20% brightness and I want higher res display.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's like drugs, you know it's bad for you but it's an amazing experience. So I'm still excited about the future of VR. Back to playing PSVR with 20% brightness and I want higher res display.
And as with drugs,it rots away your body and you die miserable in a ditch. Go and hike a mountain instead of burning your eyes with a sweaty box on your head. Real life is far better than that shit. Unless you are a cripple,then that sucks.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Zombra
Why is it that when people record the VR version of something, it looks mostly like a regular game, but when you actually use it for real, the entire thing is distorted, ghosty, and doubled?
Because you have for "innovator" an anime obsessed brony kid , and supporting him a money guzzling reptilian Gabe Newell who say the US military has outdated hardware with its multi element lenses and microdisplays , here take this single element lens with rebadged mobile phone displays instead it won't blur (too much).
https://archive.fo/EqfXn
https://www.displaydaily.com/articl...ed-displays-sorry-but-there-is-no-santa-claus
"While there have been, and will continue to be, success with niche HMD products (there are military, industrial and medical uses), these are very different from being high volume consumer products."

https://www.displaydaily.com/article/display-daily/professional-vr-is-different-from-consumer-vr

Consumer vr = another pie in the sky, like "otakucoin"...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom