Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
But you have Unreal Engine and Unity now, which puts you in a quite good situation for bootstrapping and hiring, so I think it balances out.

Heretic

Cipher
They don't have it.
They've never had it.

The best shitstarters I ever threw money at were games by nobodies and unknowns
  • The Way
  • Lords of Xulima
  • Dex
  • Celestian Tales
  • and Kingdom Come, ok, that one was made a known dev

The worst shitstarters?
  • "Project Eternity"
  • Tides of Numanuma
  • Dead State, remember that?
  • Underworld Ascendant

Notice anything?
The best ones are from Europe and Celestian Tales from fking Indonesia.

The horrid and smelly shitstarters are all from USA, created by "renowned" devs who promised the world.

Shitstarter has been a Californian conspiracy to extract money from gullible retards like me from all over the world.
They've been laughing all the way to the bank with their cynical videos about oppressing publishers and a few years later selling their company to the biggest publisher in the world.

Never more.

:argh:

:x

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
But you have Unreal Engine and Unity now, which puts you in a quite good situation for bootstrapping and hiring, so I think it balances out.

Sure, if you have good programmers as you say, but if you only have designers and newbie programmers, even unity or unreal engine isn't the all-end, as recent kickstarters have shown

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still ranting about the Codex :argh:
I haven't played this game, but to be honest, knowing how big Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex and Thief fan Razorfist is, I'm inclined to believe him more, than the Codex. At least in this particular instance, untill I haven't checked out the game myself.
Well, you don't get a 37% positive ratings score for being a good game.
Games in that score area just suck, there's no talking around it.

Look at how messed up Pathfinder: Kingmaker was at release (and hell, still is) - yet that never went under 60%, afaik.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Arcane
I haven't played this game, but to be honest, knowing how big Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex and Thief fan Razorfist is, I'm inclined to believe him more, than the Codex. At least in this particular instance, untill I haven't checked out the game myself.

Honestly, it kind of just sounds like a fan-boy who's convinced himself everything is fine. Interested to read your thoughts on the game though.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer

I'm also a huge LGS fanatic and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that UA was nowhere near ready for a release and even if it shipped without any technical issues, it would still be an average game considering it is nothing remotely like what they pitched on KS, and the result isn't particularly interesting even as an immersive sim.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
DsEyVr2WwAIiiL1

This game has fucking scoreboards at the end of a quest. Why? This isn't DMC or Thief, scoreboards don't make sense outside games that encourage (or only have) one specific way of playing them or one challenge to them.

large.jpg

I anticipated Razor would say the game is fenomenal and call anyone who said otherwise retarded. But this, this is gold. I can already see him making a 30 minute review only to spend half the video sperging about how we are all a bunch of autistic dumbfucks. His butthurt will be delicious. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was lurking this thread.
Also when did we claimed Witcher 3 was the pinnacle of player agency? But despite all the bugs and gliches, W3 was at least playable on launch.

Honestly, it kind of just sounds like a fan-boy who's convinced himself everything is fine.

And it is. He's just deluding himself.
J_C you can go on Youtube or even Twitch rigth now and see for yourself how fucking bad this really is. This game needed at least 1 more year.

Legendary, award-winning RPG designers and game industry veterans Brenda Brathwaite and Tom

The only thing Brenda Brathwaite did was carrying coffee to the designers she blowed and work on the manuals. Tom Hall did nothing of value after Doom.
The only thing legendary about ''developers'' like this is how they're still taken serious enough to have jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funposter

Arcane

"Alternate reality" lol. I had text prompts not disappearing after they were supposed to, hanging around on my screen and flickering. The brightness and sound settings I selected at the main menu did not carry over when I started a new game. Momentum on movement, especially through a small puddle, was such that my character would continue moving forward even without me holding the 'W' key for several seconds.

The game is completely fucked.

edit: also adjusting the field of view on the main menu causes the FOV of the main menu itself to change because the game is really, really good.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Classic example of senile old men in a circle jerk, high fiving each others 20+ years ago accomplishments, jet-setting around holding each other's cocks doing PR interviews and none of them keeping tabs on (Jr.) Programmer who had never seen Unity before and was practically jizzing himself when making SO COOL vids of default Unity physics.

They suckered KS backers and most likely suckered 505 to give them money and publish what looks to be utter shit. Italian businessmen aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet, apparently.

Once they pull each others limp dicks out of their mouths after realizing they created an utter failure, they need to slink off to the farthest corners of the Earth, never to be heard from (or make games) again.

Zep--

Elex

Arbiter
both unity and UE require TONS of work(money) for good result.
for example UE is good "as is" only for make an arena fps game.

Of course is cheaper than create a game engine from zero, but is not free.

Elex

Arbiter
18189 - Deadfire?

And Battle Brothers are only 670?

My opinion of Humankind just lowered. Generic BG-wannabe with bland-as-it-can-be story and game mechanics is much more popular than deep, truly original and fun game.
pathfinder kingmaker: 22,643

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Also when using an of the shelf engine it is probably wise to hire a developer with a solid proven track record using said engine, -if you dont already have such a person- as an engine tech lead.

My guess is that some of these Unity or UE failures are by companies that assume 'of the shelf' equates to 'any programmer can use it'.

Alec20

Novice
Does this have any hope of being decent if the devs put some effort in it and continue to fix it up?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also when using an of the shelf engine it is probably wise to hire a developer with a solid proven track record using said engine, -if you dont already have such a person- as an engine tech lead.

My guess is that some of these Unity or UE failures are by companies that assume 'of the shelf' equates to 'any programmer can use it'.

Or even better, if you really are a good designer (not some manager who just stole other peoples ideas and fame) and don't know how to program yourself, a partnership with a smaller studio that has actually managed to release a solid title or two.

Making a team and necessary organization is the job of a competent manager and not a role anyone can fill. The same is true for finance and marketing as well, which was proven again and again by these Kickstarter wannabe developers that "don't need no evil publishers" holding reins over their heads.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
both unity and UE require TONS of work(money) for good result.
for example UE is good "as is" only for make an arena fps game.

Of course is cheaper than create a game engine from zero, but is not free.

They had 10 developer x 4+ years to learn & create. I don't know how big were the teams that created Ultima Underwold and Thief, but I will be surprised if they were bigger. And they even pioneeringly created their 3D engines & tools from scratch (in the case of UU there was a superposition with the team that was working a flight simulator however).

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
More dev quotes from the Discord:

We understand the majority of the UWA frustrations and are still working on things, such as the save system, to heart

"I notice "DLC" on the menu. Will there be an option later on to purchase a "season pass" for all the DLC including future DLC?"

I believe we were thinking of this, yes
Will confirm with our publisher tomorrow
some DLC is free for backers, and some is extra content, iirc

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Classic example of senile old men in a circle jerk, high fiving each others 20+ years ago accomplishments, jet-setting around holding each other's cocks doing PR interviews and none of them keeping tabs on (Jr.) Programmer who had never seen Unity before and was practically jizzing himself when making SO COOL vids of default Unity physics.

They suckered KS backers and most likely suckered 505 to give them money and publish what looks to be utter shit. Italian businessmen aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet, apparently.

Once they pull each others limp dicks out of their mouths after realizing they created an utter failure, they need to slink off to the farthest corners of the Earth, never to be heard from (or make games) again.

Zep--

STFU Infinitron!

:troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, it kind of just sounds like a fan-boy who's convinced himself everything is fine.

J_C you can go on Youtube or even Twitch rigth now and see for yourself how fucking bad this really is. This game needed at least 1 more year.
I dunno. I watched some of the game, and it doesn't look that bad to warrant a 37% steam score, and I believe that Razorfist likes it for be a true immersive sim. On the other hand, I know it is hard to take this guy seriously with his asshole attitude. (Really, parroting that Glither 3 "joke", yet not acknowledging that Underworld is a big glitchfest? Come the fuck on...)

Funposter

Arcane

I dunno. I watched some of the game, and it doesn't look that bad to warrant a 37% steam score, and I believe that Razorfist likes it for be a true immersive sim. On the other hand, I know it is hard to take this guy seriously with his asshole attitude. (Really, parroting that Glither 3 "joke", yet not acknowledging that Underworld is a big glitchfest? Come the fuck on...)

Watching the game doesn't give you a good idea of just how bad it "feels".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom