Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4: New Vegas - remake in FO4 engine

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The New Vegas mod is re-recording all the audio for precisely that reason.

That is probably going to be one of this mod's weakest points (if they get it finished to begin with)

Unless the modder or the team has access to some good voice recording equipment and are able to find people who can actually voice act, and have experience doing so, the voice actor cast is going to consist of a lot of people using their headsets and perhaps the occasional better microphone to speak in the voices.
Doing voices well is quite a task and a challenge. I pretty much expect most of the voices to be devoid or drained of any emotion as the person is reading from the script in front of him/her, if not really exaggerating on it.

They should just release it without speech files altogether. Then 'someone' posts 'somewhere' a .txt explaining how to take the audio files from FNV and put them in F4NV. Easy peasy.

Lexx

Cipher
As long as the file names of the re-recorded audio is the same as in FNV, you could just swap them out easily.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wow, usually with these massive mods destined for death I at least get the motivation. Not so here.

Perkel

Arcane
They should just release it without speech files altogether. Then 'someone' posts 'somewhere' a .txt explaining how to take the audio files from FNV and put them in F4NV. Easy peasy.

Yeah replacing those should be trivial.

Wow, usually with these massive mods destined for death I at least get the motivation. Not so here.

FNV with actual good gunplay ? That is more that reasonable to get such thing.

Perkel

Arcane
No amount of headshake will be enough to understand how much time they waste with re-recording of all vo.
I understand it but 99% of people will just copy paste old voices.

IMHO it would be much better for them to use silent voice instead.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Doc Mitchell at least sounds pretty good. Usually these VOs are not good throughout the entire mod, though.

kintake

Savant

I remember the original New Vegas looking better than that graphically with just a few mods. Is the gunplay that much better in Fallout 4 engine? It's not like the gunplay held NV back from being a great game in the first place. Call me a curmudgeon but what's the point of this conversion?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They could read books, the entirety of Wikipedia, get courses/lectures on something, learn how to play a musical instrument, get back into shape, they could do all that.

But no, they're doing this.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I understand that people love to criticize everything, but most of negative comments in this thread is just absurd assumptions without any proof and only with generalizations. Everyone act like FNV was created on obscure engine with features which can't be implemented in FO4, but it's the same fucking shitty gamebryo only FO4 have slightly updated version. It's possible to recreate FNV in FO4 with all features AND without turning it into "vaporware". Just stop it. Get some help.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I understand that people love to criticize everything, but most of negative comments in this thread is just absurd assumptions without any proof and only with generalizations. Everyone act like FNV was created on obscure engine with features which can't be implemented in FO4, but it's the same fucking shitty gamebryo only FO4 have slightly updated version. It's possible to recreate FNV in FO4 with all features AND without turning it into "vaporware". Just stop it. Get some help.
People in here have simply witnessed way too many failed attempts of such "faithful recreations". It's not about it being technically doable or not, it's simply that it's a huge effort and modders tend to abandon such efforts after they realize they are working endlessly without getting payed.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
People in here have simply witnessed way too many failed attempts of such "faithful recreations". It's not about it being technically doable or not, it's simply that it's a huge effort and modders tend to abandon such efforts after they realize they are working endlessly without getting payed.
I think people who abandon such projects doing it because they losing passion towards their own project, because any sensible person should understand that only payment that they would receive would be donations. Personally, I think such projects have some chances on success (because there was some even bigger projects released, like Enderal where they made a fucking new game and for free), but maybe I am really too optimistic.
I wouldn't mind a New Vegas with fancier graphics and better pew-pew personally..
Me too, it wouldn't hurt at alll.

It's also not worth the effort.
At some view life not worth the effort too, but we still alive and breathing (I think). Efforts stop being matter when exist passion, because people can spend hours on things that they love and they don't mind it. If other people can enjoy results of efforts - it's win win situation.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
On the plus side, you can probably get any professional gig you want with a complete project like that on your CV.

Yosharian

Arcane
There are many reasons why FONV in FO4's engine could be neat.

There are hundreds of reasons why it might never be finished, or why the project might fail horribly.

I agree that the decision to re-record all the VO is just baffling. Just... why. What a colossal waste of time.

Same logic applies to Skywind, it's a great concept, but will it ever get finished, will it actually be good, etc.

It always frustrates me when they release these videos showing all the landscapes redone in the new engine, like that's most of the game done? Bitch, the getting all the quests working properly and building a fully-functioning game is a fuckton more work than simply creating some landscapes and buildings.

If they really want those new voiceovers, they should just release first the “beta” without it and then get on it, so we can just copy the voices like normal people. It’s not like it’s about to come out before Fallout 5/etc anyway.

I actually really enjoyed the gunplay, for the same reason I liked Brutal Doom (this “squishy” gore was very satisfying audiovisually)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom