Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Super rare pic of Scrooge purchasing skyrim69
IMG_20181115_171145.jpg
I didn't expect her to have such big tits.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I have to say I'm very interested in mentions and references of communism in Fallout, Fallout 2 and New Vegas. Because as I see it, Bethesda's approach to communism is rather caricaturesque.

I remember This Machine and No-Bark Noonan in New Vegas, but not that much more.

Black

Arcane
The amount of references to Americana and communism or THE EVIL REDS GRRRR in FO1 and 2 was non-existent. But then retards happened and decided "Fallout is all about americana and 50s music" and ribbitors gobbled it up.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

The amount of references to Americana and communism or THE EVIL REDS GRRRR in FO1 and 2 was non-existent. But then retards happened and decide "Fallout is all about americana and 50s music" and ribbitors gobbled it up.

This is partly because any in-game reference to communism would be utterly beside the point in Fallout. The Great War was never framed as a great clash between capitalism and communism because ultimately neither of those things mattered anymore by the time bombs were flying. The entire world as a community was in its death throes and I don't think anyone in their right mind would bother to check how many of the knives in its body bore what insignias.

Pros:
-It's called Fallout
-Map is immersive

Cons:
-More bugs than Trumps office
-World too large for player base
-Enemy AI is disgraceful
-UI needs to be reworked

Thumbs
clear.png
down.
clear.png

Mack is a little bitch who helped get Jenners nerfed into irrelevance but that's beside the point here, I guess. Except for the being a little bitch part, that's always relevant when listening to him.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The amount of references to Americana and communism or THE EVIL REDS GRRRR in FO1 and 2 was non-existent. But then retards happened and decide "Fallout is all about americana and 50s music" and ribbitors gobbled it up.
I prefer the americana themes, and I think this is a vast improvement over the random pop-culture references in the first two games. As rusty_shackleford said, this is an improvement on Bethesda's part. I like the radios too.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I prefer the americana themes, and I think this is a vast improvement over the random pop-culture references in the first two games. As rusty_shackleford said, this is an improvement on Bethesda's part. I like the radios too.

It's two different things, really. The "americana themes" are part of the setting as Bethesda envisioned it. The "Random pop-culture references", which were only an actual issue in Fallout 2, were nothing but part of the "product" Interplay and Black Isle delivered.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It's two different things, really. The "americana themes" are part of the setting as Bethesda envisioned it. The "Random pop-culture references", which were only an actual issue in Fallout 2, were nothing but part of the "product" Interplay and Black Isle delivered.

Right, and I prefer the part of Bethesda's product (americana) that replaced the equivalent part of Fallout 2 (pop-culture references). The radio stuff was a compliment and played support role for the americana, and I liked it.
Bethesda didn't completely fuck up EVERYTHING, they had good contributions. And this american theme and radio were improved even further in New Vegas, where the american-ness was turned up to 11.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Bethesda didn't completely fuck up EVERYTHING, they had good contributions. And this american theme and radio were improved even further in New Vegas, where the american-ness was turned up to 11.

But the idea in Fallout 1 and 2 was that America itself was almost completely forgotten. The survivors had moved on, caring little for the past other than what they could salvage from it as they were more focused on survival and eventually rebuilding. Only a handful of groups such as the Brotherhood and the Followers of the Apocalypse had some records or recollection of the United States and put little importance on it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Right, and I prefer the part of Bethesda's product (americana) that replaced the equivalent part of Fallout 2 (pop-culture references). The radio stuff was a compliment and played support role for the americana, and I liked it.

But they are not equivalents. The equivalent to Bethesda's americana was Fallout's gritty multicultural™ setting.

I personally do not mind the depiction of the pre-War world, because it is something that is hinted at since Fallout's intro. However, the idea that people are stuck in some cultural 50s in their mannerisms, behaviors, culture, clothing, hairstyles, etc., I find to be annoying at best, moronic at worst.

RolePlayer

Augur
That alone is why Zenimax can shove their MMO up their asses. There is no point in releasing themepark MMOs anymore they are boring and no one is going to pay a sub for it.

Pretty sure ESO is the most successful mmo out there behind WoW. Also pretty sure that EVERY successful MMO is theme park and all sandbox mmos besides EVE have failed and even EVE's original devs dipped out because they realized it was a sinking ship.

Also ESO is anything but price gouging. Buying the base game for like $25-$40 gives you access to all base content + morrowind + summerset chapters and they release a few optional $10 quest/dungeon dlcs per year. No sub required

Just because you don't like it... w/e fuck this dumb forum

ESO is one of the worst offenders of microtransaction cash grab BS in the industry. there isn't a convenience/power up/shortcut that isn't for sale. You are not getting a "deal" for $25-$40. the game has so much cash grab microtransaction BS that it should be F2P altogether.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I pretend every Fallout game after Fallout 2 is in its own dimension and actually has nothing to do with the first two. It's like looking at a long running movie franchise that had two really great films and then a lot of shit after.

Okay I lied, I actually liked Fallout Tactics. Fuck you, Codex.

Generic-Giant-Spider

guys im a contrarian

i also happen to be a complete faggot

- dawkinsfan69 (lol the 69 means joint oral sex i have with my avocado loving bf)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The thing is, I'm fairly confident will iron the bugs and all kind of issues. This is one thing I believe they will not to stand to see fail and make it a point of honor not to.
Fallout 76 is here to stay, and I am pretty sure that within a few months it will be a "competent" game , which while being not fun at all for most codexers, will somehow manage to be successful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom