Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
But overall Magnus has played best so far.

I used to think that Carlsen is in a class of his own, but according to the current ELO rating they are equal (2835 - 2832)

Burning Bridges

another draw
icon_rolleyes.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Caruana is crap at rapid/blitz like Topalov was so one'd think he'd put in more effort.

Burning Bridges

WTF? The world championship matches are all behind a paywall? I noticed I had not seen 1 minute of live footage and checked what's going on, and FIDE thinks we will pay 20$ per draw and Carlsens arrogant mug is what's going on.

Sorry but no, I will have this run like a radio programme in the background and FIDE can go fuck itself. As a sports event this does not hold a candle to Fisher Spassky or Karpov Kasparov anyway, the 2 have zero charisma and will just turn out draw after draw, even the online commentators seem to be just yearning for the end every time.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
WTF? The world championship matches are all behind a paywall? I noticed I had not seen 1 minute of live footage and checked what's going on, and FIDE thinks we will pay 20$ per draw and Carlsens arrogant mug is what's going on.

Sorry but no, I will have this run like a radio programme in the background and FIDE can go fuck itself. As a sports event this does not hold a candle to Fisher Spassky or Karpov Kasparov anyway, the 2 have zero charisma and will just turn out draw after draw, even the online commentators seem to be just yearning for the end every time.
Almost went with an up yours on this post, just because that's always funny, but went with a real answer instead.

I get that they are trying to get more money into chess, but I don't see many chess fans paying $20 to watch this. That being said, if they want to make this into a better spectator sport, they better have more money on the line and create their own "drama" stories. We need a UFC style press conference where someone leaves with a pawn shoved into an orifice.

spectre

Arcane
I get that they are trying to get more money into chess, but I don't see many chess fans paying $20 to watch this. That being said, if they want to make this into a better spectator sport, they better have more money on the line and create their own "drama" stories. We need a UFC style press conference where someone leaves with a pawn shoved into an orifice.

Why reinvent the wheel?
Sirci-fighting-on-the-board.jpg

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
First game was good. But, not sure what you expect - you have to expect that kind of safe play. They're playing like computers. It is boring shit, but it's what high level chess is right now. On the other hand, the more this goes on, the more a win would be dramatic, so there is some tension implied

Burning Bridges

You're right I probably should not expect anything. I just always hope that there would be some psychological drama like Karpov-Kasparov - who also played remis after remis btw - but those old players had charisma and every couple of matches something spectacular could happen.

Don't get me wrong, I know the new players are very good and potentially could be stronger than Karpov-Kasparov (they obviously have a serious advantage in chess theory).

The question I ask myself is what actually is achieved, except that 2 players of the highest order meticulously keep the other from gaining any advantage, wait for one mistake or a decision in tie breaks.

It's not their fault, of course it would be more interesting if there was some attacking genius but it seems the current level of chess has reached about the same stage as football when 0-0 was a very common result.

Currently defense and physical stamina is king.

Burning Bridges

Yeah tbh this feels like a massive psychological blow. To get so close to winning with black and then somehow not discover it.

The position was marvelous though as they could show what they are able to.

Burning Bridges

They had already realized in yesterdays live stream that bishop-H4 would had won for Caruana but also said that no one would think of that without an engine.

Burning Bridges

A genius might have found it, that's the beauty of chess.

But the assessment of 3 grandmasters in the stream was "this position is so complicated" and "those knight jumps are so easy to miss". The computer said "mate in 20" but Svidler said it is only merely a hint that a mate can be found, and unfortunately Capa did not have a computer in his head.

Ah and they also analyzed that it was rather strong play by Magnus from a rather difficult situation in which he had 2 extra pawns and 1 bishop against 2 light pieces.

Burning Bridges

currently they are talking about their favorite pizza toppings again :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom