Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do games even have a pricetag anymore? And do "journalists" even hold them accountable?

RolePlayer

Augur
Why is there no discussion around the monetization strategy in game reviews?

How much content am i getting at what cost?
How much essential gameplay features are locked behind a paywall?
How much money do i need to spend to neutralize the money-advantage (in online competitive game modes)?

Why aren't these questions asked in the gaming industry ? Why does nobody care how much game costs anymore ? It's like not even discussed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why aren't these questions asked in the gaming industry ? Why does nobody care how much game costs anymore ? It's like not even discussed.

To the extent that this is true, it's probably less because of some sinister agenda and more because the main problem of the gaming enthusiast class (a category which includes both journalists and hardcore gamers/Codexers) is not a lack of money to buy games but a lack of time to play them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also, games tend to lower in price now at an alarming rate. A game that goes for $70 at launch can often be found for $15 between 6-12 months later.

SpoilVictor

Educated
Actually it is discussed a lot. With "journalists" and other analysts/economists/other BS claiming that games are too cheap. I remember that when whole Battlefront 2 lootbox shitstorm happened some funny market analyst said that games are too cheap and nowhere in entertainment industry customer can get so much content for such low price. Guess he never heard of Netflix or so. Later it came to attention that his company was in some way tied to EA but whatever.

On the other hand some "journalists" point out bullshit, recently I've read a few reviews of newest AC and they even pointed out that leveling feels skewed to bore player with grind and progression with XP booster (bought with real money) feels so much better. But even if, usually it is very mild critique: just enough to look like they have integrity and not too much to anger publishers.

And of course there are geniuses like Rockstar who withheld online component with their MTX scheme so there isn't anything to review or complain.

In the end what do you expect from video gaming "journalism" when they not only defend every possible publisher practice for more money from ads and exclusive coverage, but also consider gamers as bunch of entitled children?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also, games tend to lower in price now at an alarming rate. A game that goes for $70 at launch can often be found for $15 between 6-12 months later.

That is not good reason, games also release broken or with a lots of bugs, but they get patched down the road in 6-12 months later too.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That is not good reason, games also release broken or with a lots of bugs, but they get patched down the road in 6-12 months later too.

And yet games can (and will) get slammed in reviews due to their bugs.

When was the last time a game's review was impacted by its price?

Both reasons may be bad, but there's a difference between them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom