Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Released

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guess there weren't standards and easy engines to create bad habits back then, so the programmers, designers and artists had to do things the hard way and hardship made them better. Easiness generates lazyness, actually, this was one of the big problems of kickstarter, when you are burning your own money, you sure are hell motivated to be as efficient as possible not so much when you are burning other people money.
I keep hearing about laziness in connection with game devs, and it's just so very wrong to attribute laziness to people who are expected to work longer hours for less pay and routinely go through "crunch" periods to get their products to completion only to then be sacked right after. You can call them anything, and some of it will probably even be deserved, but lazy is not it.

These people aren't exceptionally incompetent, or lazy, or flawed in any other particularly significant way. They are just same normal imperfect people like everybody else. The difference however is that it used to be different. In the past, when computer games were only becoming a thing, it was a very novel and exciting field to work in. It was truly uncharted land of unlimited possibilities and many exceptionally talented individuals rushed in to explore it. We are spoiled by products of labor of those exceptional individuals, expecting that everything in video games should forever be able to uphold the same exceptional standard. But this is not a realistic expectation. Video games are not that exciting of a field anymore, and naturally the talented people will gravitate towards different opportunities more often these days.
We say they are lazy not because of their work habits but because their design and ambition was simply so... poor
They could have made a very straightforward dungeon crawler with a sandboxy design and focused on the dungeon levels... instead they marveled at “object physics puzzles” who nobody wanted or cared for, butchered the faction system to act something like a racing game and shat all over the legacy of the Ultima Underworld games, which along with Doom were the forebears of the 3D FP gaming

Big Wrangle

Speaking of crunch, didn't a developer remark that they did that a couple months ago towards the game's release? While the game's design wasn't gonna get fixed, it can be a contributor to technical issues with programmers. As they become more exhausted they enter this autopilot mode whre compiled code becomes more messy, resulting in more bugs, crashes, etc.

The Bishop

Cipher
We say they are lazy not because of their work habits but because their design and ambition was simply so... poor
They could have made a very straightforward dungeon crawler with a sandboxy design and focused on the dungeon levels... instead they marveled at “object physics puzzles” who nobody wanted or cared for, butchered the faction system to act something like a racing game and shat all over the legacy of the Ultima Underworld games, which along with Doom were the forebears of the 3D FP gaming
Then why don't you call them grouchy, meaty, squeamish, or rambunctious instead? If you going to give words meaning they don't normally have might as well go all they way. No definition of 'lazy' that I ever heard of involved anything related to somebody's design or ambition being poor. Where I came from lazy means not working enough, slacking off, putting too little effort into things you do or supposed to do.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I swear you people are worse than that arizonian trans contrarian edgelorrd razorfist. Atleast he owns the game and dont talk things out of his ass. He is just fanboy in denial. He owns the game while kikeitron and rest of sceptics dont....
If it looks like shit, smell like shit, are you going to taste it to be sure?

Im gonna pirate it

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I swear you people are worse than that arizonian trans contrarian edgelorrd razorfist. Atleast he owns the game and dont talk things out of his ass. He is just fanboy in denial. He owns the game while kikeitron and rest of sceptics dont....
The man barely plays a couple hours of most games. Including the ones he reviews.

According to who ED????Give me a break man is a looser and contrarian edgolord for sure but he is just being fanboy in case of UA.

Bohr

Arcane
Then why don't you call them grouchy, meaty, squeamish, or rambunctious instead? If you going to give words meaning they don't normally have might as well go all they way. No definition of 'lazy' that I ever heard of involved anything related to somebody's design or ambition being poor.

'Lazy design' is a pretty common term though, to be fair

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Then why don't you call them grouchy, meaty, squeamish, or rambunctious instead? If you going to give words meaning they don't normally have might as well go all they way. No definition of 'lazy' that I ever heard of involved anything related to somebody's design or ambition being poor. Where I came from lazy means not working enough, slacking off, putting too little effort into things you do or supposed to do.
Let’s use your glossary terms; lazy level design, lazy level interconnectivity lazy implementation, lazy creature design, lazy animations...
It all shows poor effort on the things they should have focused on rather than “physics”
I myself speak 4 languages and in all 4 the concept of laziness is the same; Laziness (also known as indolence) is disinclination to activity or exertion despite having the ability to act or exert oneself
Could they have developed better systems based on the oh so holy pedigree of their previous projects? Hell yeah
Did they focus on stupid shit and came up with this bullshit excuse for a game
Hell yeah
So stop apologizing for them and trying to pick words or intent; a turd by any other name would smell just as foul and this game sucks from a design to a ganeplay experience perspective

The Bishop

Cipher
Let’s use your glossary terms; lazy level design, lazy level interconnectivity lazy implementation, lazy creature design, lazy animations...
It all shows poor effort on the things they should have focused on rather than “physics”
I myself speak 4 languages and in all 4 the concept of laziness is the same; Laziness (also known as indolence) is disinclination to activity or exertion despite having the ability to act or exert oneself
Could they have developed better systems based on the oh so holy pedigree of their previous projects? Hell yeah
Hell yeah
So stop apologizing for them and trying to pick words or intent; a turd by any other name would smell just as foul and this game sucks from a design to a ganeplay experience perspective
I'm apologizing for them? Lol wut? I just called them talentless hacks, you idiot!

And that sophistry nonsense and mental acrobatics you go through to justify arbitrary word swapping - I'm not touching that even with an insulated ten foot pole.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The art style is worse than bad. When I saw that blue lizard talking I just didn't knew what to think. RIP immersive sims.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Hell yeah
I'm apologizing for them? Lol wut? I just called them talentless hacks, you idiot!

And that sophistry nonsense and mental acrobatics you go through to justify arbitrary word swapping - I'm not touching that even with an insulated ten foot pole.
And thus unto the ignore list did The Bishop of Bullshit did fall... and nobody seemed to care
Script from the holy Grimoire by Saint Blakemore, the prophet of Incline

The Bishop

Cipher
So is this Invictus guy always so strange? I was making a general comment about game developers and decline in their capabilities, and he somehow interpreted it as me apologizing for UA devs. Am I missing something, or is it just his thing?

The Bishop

Cipher
'Lazy design' is a pretty common term though, to be fair
Well, yes. Just as, say, poker face is a common term too. Doesn't mean that definition of poker has to have anything in common with face, or face with poker.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Im gonna pirate it

Whether you pay someone for it or you 'get' it for free, the outcome is still that you eat shit. I'm not sure how that is any better

Tigranes

Arcane
So is this Invictus guy always so strange? I was making a general comment about game developers and decline in their capabilities, and he somehow interpreted it as me apologizing for UA devs. Am I missing something, or is it just his thing?

You didn't reply to him saying that you agree completely with everything he ever said, so obviously you must be a crazy UA fanboy paid a million bucks by the CIA

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just watched 5 videos in worst games, game announcements, this game, and play throughs.

I gotta say, ya’ll are a bunch of whiny spoiled brat bitches.

I rarely get a chance to play games due to work and time allotment so I tend to gloss over vague reviews. So I watched this guy:

His complaints seem a bit nit picky. His critical thinking isn’t present and tries to be funny (probably to not get thumbs down).

20 frames a second; I guess that’s bad but watching it looked like it was moving well enough. I don’t know what he was running it on.

So starting I saw the arms and yeah they look unfinished. 3 voice choices isn’t much but that’s more than nothing or text. Why doesn’t someone play this and point out where the errors are and what you’re comparing it to. Well I’m sure there will be a playthrough to the end.
**i swear this game looks very VR-esque like say The Mages Tale.**

If the game is broken it’s good to hear but some of the complaint I hear about gfx, voice, etc etc is fucking ridiculous. And I hear the same shit about movies and other entertainment. Now if it’s got political SJW leftist rights infringement and garbage thrown down thine throat I see the complaint and agree. I play games or watch them for entertainment not real world shit issues I’d like to get away from.

Maybe ya’ll need to go back to text adventures, pong, asteroids, jumpman, minesweeper, early Plato games. Eat up those slow Vic 20 tape speeds and c64 load disk access or the like.

Fucking whiny baby bitches shitting their diapers and throwing tantrums.

**not directed at anyone particular but generally at those that bitch the most over everything.**

Maybe I need to play a game instead of just hoarding them and chucking em in a pile or hard drive. (Shrugs).

There got my typing quota done for the day.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’m hoping none do but I read that Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear has thetran sexual box issue which would probably be an underlying message. Maybe a blanket statement is assuming to much. With what I read on attacks at leisure time the threat of it IS something to get upset about.

I guess hard core gamers can pick out the annoyances and errors in games with ease but as a casual gamer I just can’t see it. Perhaps I’d have to play the games but as I said, I have time constraints. Oh if I was younger with more time on my hands.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I’m hoping none do but I read that Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear has thetran sexual box issue which would probably be an underlying message. Maybe a blanket statement is assuming to much. With what I read on attacks at leisure time the threat of it IS something to get upset about.

You're saying that a game having a trans person is a bad thing? And complaining about that is legit?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
fitgirl repack Underworld Ascendant v.1.02 + 3 DLCs also released...
Maybe some hacker/cracker added also the missing save feature.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Im gonna pirate it

Whether you pay someone for it or you 'get' it for free, the outcome is still that you eat shit. I'm not sure how that is any better

Because you cant judge something you didnt play. Being dismissive is retarded in any case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom