Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News THQ Nordic has acquired the Expeditions franchise, third game confirmed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists; THQ Nordic

The consolidation of the RPG industry continues! IP-gobbling publisher THQ Nordic announced today that they'd acquired Logic Artist's Expeditions franchise. They'll be publishing the next game in the series, to be revealed "in due time". Here's their brief press release:

Karlstad/SWEDEN, Vienna/AUSTRIA, Copenhagen/DENMARK, November 15, 2018: THQ Nordic today announced that the acquisition of the intellectual property “Expeditions:...” has been finalized with Logic Artists, based in Copenhagen, Denmark. The deal comprises of “Expeditions: Conquistador” and “Expeditions: Viking” and its respective DLCs. Furthermore, Logic Artists and THQ Nordic have agreed to start development of a third game within the “Expeditions:”-Universe. More information will be announced in due time.

The acquisition itself is being handled by THQ Nordic AB, based in Karlstad, Sweden, and daily operations (sales and distribution, evaluation of sequels & new content etc.) will be done via THQ Nordic GmbH in Vienna, Austria.​

Expeditions: Viking was criminally underrated, so I'm happy Logic Artists will have another shot at making their mark. The studio itself appears to be remaining independent.

deuxhero

Arcane
With virtually any other publisher I'd be terrified, but this seems like it could go well. Wonder where they'll go and who they'll make the main character with the sequel though. I remember Portugese conquistadors being one of the original sequel ideas for back when it was only one game.

edit: What about Clandestine?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That's some good news, can't wait to see what they do next

My wish list:
  • Crusades
  • East India Company
  • something something China

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mistakenly read that the third game is going to be called "Expeditions: Universe" and got genuinely excited.
After realizing my mistake... I am still pretty excited. :D

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Expeditions: Arctic

images

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Expeditions: VOC.
You are one of the rising member of the dutch east india company, tasked to manage spice trade in the dutch east indies, after your country suffer great losses from previous wars that devastated your country's economy. Set sail in the archielago, curry favor to high ranking east indies government, negotiate/decimate/deal with rivaling colonies such as british, Portuguese and native malays.

The main expeditions gimmick is this time you have a "quota" every month or whatever, to send goods like spices to government official, and the expeditions is basically how you would procure precious goods. You have to explore, trade, fight, persuade to get your goods.

It can be a mix of storm of zehir trade mechanics, and a little base building for your assigned plantation, lots of choice to reach the quota goal, for example, building a working farm that produce alot of spices, or trade, explore, deal with native kingdoms, foreign merchants, etc.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Great to hear there will be a third Expeditions game, but kinda sad that the series didn't generate enough profits for Logic Artists to keep the IP in house.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
But i am really excited what they can make with non potato dinner budget they will hopefully have.

If they can make games as good as conq and viking with potato chip dinners, with real studio shit they holefully can make masterpieces.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Expedition: Brazil

You lead a group of white middle class americans on an expedition to lose weight and not be eaten by giant anacondas and Pirates on the Amazon florest while you try to reach civilization on the capital city of Buenos Aires.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It's a shame that Logic Artists lost their property, but at least the Expeditions series is still alive.

Now please do something closer to Conquistador, Viking was good but it felt a little too generic.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
what is the nature of this contract? do logic artists will always be hired to make expeditions games? or is it free for THQN to use, for example assigning another dev to work on expeditions?

Morkar Left

Sorry to hear they had to sell the brand. But I hope they are fnancially stable now for the 3rd game and have the benefit of getting decent marketing for it.
My wish would be Expeditions: Rome

Expeditions: Arimaspea

Aristeas (Greek: Ἀριστέας) was a semi-legendary Greek poet and miracle-worker, a native of Proconnesus in Asia Minor, active ca. 7th century BC. The Suda claims that, whenever he wished, his soul could leave his body and return again.[1] In book IV.13-16 of The Histories, Herodotus reports

The birthplace of Aristeas, the poet who sung of these things, I have already mentioned. I will now relate a tale which I heard concerning him both at Proconnesus and at Cyzicus. Aristeas, they said, who belonged to one of the noblest families in the island, had entered one day into a fuller's shop, when he suddenly dropt down dead. Hereupon the fuller shut up his shop, and went to tell Aristeas' kindred what had happened. The report of the death had just spread through the town, when a certain Cyzicenian, lately arrived from Artaca, contradicted the rumour, affirming that he had met Aristeas on his road to Cyzicus, and had spoken with him. This man, therefore, strenuously denied the rumour; the relations, however, proceeded to the fuller's shop with all things necessary for the funeral, intending to carry the body away. But on the shop being opened, no Aristeas was found, either dead or alive. Seven years afterwards he reappeared, they told me, in Proconnesus, and wrote the poem called by the Greeks The Arimaspeia, after which he disappeared a second time. This is the tale current in the two cities above-mentioned.

Two hundred and forty years after his death, Aristeas appeared in Metapontum in southern Italy to command that a statue of himself be set up and a new altar dedicated to Apollo, saying that since his death he had been travelling with Apollo in the form of a sacred raven.

Aristeas was supposed to have authored a poem called the Arimaspea, giving an account of travels in the far North. There he encountered a tribe called the Issedones, who told him of still more fantastic and northerly peoples: the one-eyed Arimaspi who battle gold-guarding griffins, and the Hyperboreans among whom Apollo lives during the winter.

Longinus excerpts a portion of the poem:

A marvel exceeding great is this withal to my soul—
Men dwell on the water afar from the land, where deep seas roll.
Wretches are they, for they reap but a harvest of travail and pain,
Their eyes on the stars ever dwell, while their hearts abide in the main.
Often, I ween, to the Gods are their hands upraised on high,
And with hearts in misery heavenward-lifted in prayer do they cry.[2]

Similarly, the Chiliades of Ioannes Tzetzes quotes the Arimaspea. These two accounts form our entire knowledge of the poem, which is otherwise lost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom