Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

vota DC

Augur
This is surreal. 0 reviews and 10 ratings on Metacritic along with 150 ratings on Steam. Some unknown indies receive more attention. Where are those 13,987 backers from Kickstarter?

Someone named Neurath made the game, what happened to 13,987 rich jews that funded the game is always the same story
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_von_Neurath

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Hey Nyast

How do I enable music in that Unity Underworld Exporter? Uw1.

I have sounds (walking etc), but no tunes. Is there a separate download for music you have to install or copy somewhere?

It runs surprisingly well on my low end laptop.

Zep--

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I haven't played the game much (like 20 minutes) and while I get that it's clunky as fuck, it still felt kinda charming.
Sometimes I think people just want to delve into a negative spiral by complaining and watching others complain etc. The ferocity with which I've seen some people complain... I mean, I get it, you spent money on a shit Kickstarter and it didn't go the way you hoped. Tough luck, you can't change that.
Yeah it might be a shit game but I've had my share of fun with shit and mediocre games such as Deadfall Adventures (which I loved for the Indiana Jones vibe) or Cultist Simulator or Wizardry 7.
Spend less time complaining and more time having fun. If you're not having fun, then don't go complaining but do something productive. If you already spent 250 dollars on shit, then don't spend even more time (=your money and/or enjoyment of things) on it, maybe? Only gets worse and worse.

I never understand people who can only like "good things" and then they either try to justify every bullshitty thing as good or they just hate themselves for liking something bad. Just enjoy it and stop worrying so much. :)

Edit: Complaining is absolutely okay of course but some people on here just complain pathologically, which is funny, because complaining and entitlement is usually something they attribute to snowflakes :D

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
Hey Nyast

I have sounds (walking etc), but no tunes. Is there a separate download for music you have to install or copy somewhere?

Zep--

Yeah there's a separate music download to put in one of the directories. I forgot where the link to that was, but it was definitely on the same site or from the instructions where I had downloaded the game.

Nyast

Cipher
Ladies and Gentlemen, I seem to be too dumb to play that game. Here's my latest defeat from this grandiose adventure:

And before you ask, no, I didn't edit the video to add the loop.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
People don't like being conned out of their money with lies.

And they kept perpetuating those lies up to launch day (and now beyond).

I would have probably been a $150 to $200 backer on this (like I was with Divinty: OS), but thankfully I saw through their bullshit early while the kickstarter was still in progress.

Zep--

Gord

Arcane
I haven't played the game much (like 20 minutes) and while I get that it's clunky as fuck, it still felt kinda charming.

The beginning, while somewhat boring, is also relatively polished in terms of environment and not all the mechanics are complete shit or anything.
I would say they absolutely had some good ideas, they just never really managed to pull them off/make them work, or they are buried under glitches, bugs and a premature release.

Edit: Complaining is absolutely okay of course but some people on here just complain pathologically, which is funny, because complaining and entitlement is usually something they attribute to snowflakes :D

Yeah, well, welcome to the Codex.

Nyast

Cipher
Another defeat. I accepted a mission at Upper Erebus and accidentely raised the water level. Just lol. Can't get to the area where my target objective is, anymore. Does anybody know how to drop the water level again ?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Yeah there's a separate music download to put in one of the directories.

I found it. The music file zip is 10 times the size of the game. :)

Now to figure out how to use them.

Zep--

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Hey Nyast

Zep--
There is a separate download, then you have to edit the config.ini file to point to the right folder. (you can also use your music, if is in ogg format)

Gord

Arcane
Some kind of sick curiosity keeps me firing that up to play another mission so I can unlock the next level.
Well, I reached the Underswamp now (2nd proper level). Here the performance does indeed take a dive. While upper Erebus was still relatively smooth, Underswamp is laggy.
Also turns out the quickest way to complete a mission is to just put a few points into speed-related skills and/or buy some equipment that gives a bonus to it and run through the levels not bothering with any of the enemies.
If they even notice you they won't reach you anyway. Most missions can probably be completed within 10-15 minutes that way. Of course you get significantly less money in the mission review and it might conflict with the side-missions, but who cares.

Max Heap

Arcane
Money is completely irrelevant and rewards are absolutely unbalanced. At the end every mission gives you 2000 silver coins. The most expensive thing I ever bought cost 1000 and even that I could have saved.
Also the "+0% Favor" in the trading window stays that way. So I guess it doesn't matter who you do missions for as long as you do three for each faction, which is enough to finish the game, since you don't get any minus points on rivaling factions.

Oh and abouth that performance: Just wait for Titan's Reach.
The one below is a bit better, but still bad. The last one is just crazy with the amount of AI characters.

Nyast

Cipher
Could not complete Tyball's Fooly. Explored entire level, did not find the quest item. Accidentely raised the water level. Game over, 2 hours wasted.

Max Heap

Arcane
Welcome to my world yesterday.
Just ignore missions that send you out to get a single item.
They are near impossible.

Anyway... would you look at that:

Cgz19cG.jpg

Sounds like someone actually thought ahead for once.
Ten bucks it fucks with the reputation or some other background data structure.

Edit:

Well... New Game+ doesn't let you customize your character and defaults to "negro with female voice".
So I guess for this run, I'll be a strong independent woman of color who don' need no cabirus cracka muthufuckka!

3dzieZy.jpg

Also the "healthy amount of skill points" is .... four memoras.
Reputations and missions look fine so far.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yeah there's a separate music download to put in one of the directories.

I found it. The music file zip is 10 times the size of the game. :)

Now to figure out how to use them.

Zep--

FYI the game is broken in UW exporter at this point for many reasons. It is promising but not ready. Plenty of feedback in the UW thread.

Gord

Arcane
Could not complete Tyball's Fooly. Explored entire level, did not find the quest item. Accidentely raised the water level. Game over, 2 hours wasted.

Why do you keep raising the water level, btw?
I thought you need to put this Animat thingy into that machine thingy. Try to resist putting your thingy into openings.
:troll:

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So I've downloaded this yesterday, and spent a hour and half playing this morning. And I already want to uninstall this.

Everytime you boot up the game, every single one of your settings (graphical, keyboard bindings, etc) are all reseted.
The movement is just weird. It feels like you don't have any legs and are just floating (which isn't the case because objects bellow your waist move when there's contact). Jumping also feels off, and sometimes it just doesn't seem to work.
Even in the first level, I died 3 times because of collision issues - first time I was suddenly catapulted into the roof; the second I got stuck in the terrain; and the third I got out the level.

I've said in my previous post I do believe that physics based shit is a very good way to have creative and fun gameplay. Afterall it worked wonders for games like BotW and Siege. However it means the levels need to be more carefully and thoughtfully designed to accommodate that aspect, and the game needs to be well optimized.
This certainly isn't the case with UA.
The objects are a bit difficult to work with - smaller objects break easily, and larger objects like a barrel are a chore to move because if turn your camera or walk a bit you have to wait some seconds for the object to accompany your movement (otherwise if you continue to move you'll loose your grip on the object).
One time I was trying to break down a door, and a big chunk of wood fell from it. I picked that wood, put it on top of a fire brazier and the wood just wouldn't be set on fire. Then I picked a small basket (smaller than the plank of wood), put it on the same brazier and after a 3 seconds it was set ablaze. Speaking of fire, I found a wand embedded with a fireball spell. First time I casted it, the fire ball projectile barely moved, and after some 4 seconds it just stoped moving and stood there in the spot floating. I then proceeded pick up the fireball (yes I picked up a ball of flames - which by the way didn't damage me in any way) and threw it at my enemy. And this seems a consist rule (one of the few in this game), you can pick up objects on fire and don't receive any damage from it.
A more superficial problem I have with the physics is the fact that they pretty much tell you everything about them. There's no mystery, no room for experimentation. Something BotW was quite smart by not telling anything about it.

Another big problem is that loot found in chests is randomly generated. I tested this quite a few times. Always went for the same chest and everytime I opened it, I got something different - it did came to a point were it started to repeat previous loot, so my guess is that a chest as a list of things it can appear on it and when you open it, the game flips the coin to decide which objects from the list will appear. As far as I can tell the only static loot is that which you find laying throughout the level.

They've also missed a good chance on some resource management. The silver sapling functions as a bonfire. You die you get revived there. You can only plant it at specific points. To do that you need a silver sampling tree seed. However once you get the seeds they're infinite. How can the developers of several of the best PC games not think of this?

The combat. Well it's better than Arx or Morrowind - because the overall feedback (animations, controls) are better - but certainly it isn't as good as Mount & Blade or even Dark Messiah - impacts lack a feeling of weight, and unlike those two this one still plays like Arx (attack an enemy, step back, wait for him to finish his strike on oxygen molecules, and go in for another strike, repeat until enemy is dead). So it lacks the player skill part that every Action game (even Action RPG's) should have to be considered good Action games.
Also the AI is pretty much broken. You can be 1 meter from them and spamming the LMB they won't react, or be out of range and they go on this combo spree. And like in Thief you can throw shit that passes in front of them, or put out fires, or even once when I dropped down a chandelier, that nearly smashed one guy but him and his buddies didn't notice this change in environment or the noise it made.

Despite the artstyle there are places in that first level, where the game looks good and atmospheric. There are also other times if you too closely to some of the assets, it seems like I am looking at a 7 year old plasticine construction.

Finally the Character Development system is weak. It's a Skill Tree, but one quick look and you see that most skills there while not on par with the uselessness and laziness of Skyrim,Fallout 4, Witcher 3 or Diablo clones (as in 5% more damage; etc) is not far off. Right in the beginning of the game your character can lift at least 250lbs=114kg (couldn't they put this as a skill). Then there's how you gain the skill points which are called Memora. You can find some Memora as a static item on the level, but most of it you'll gain trough Feats. Think of Feats as Achievements - you found X secrets; you performed Y action; you killed Z skeletons; etc...

I could go on how you can't swim and that you move just like a buoy in water. Or how completely useless is the save feature. But I would be wasting more time with this.

I don't find this funny anymore. It's just sad...

With another year of polish and improvement this could've been a good game.
But even if they fix it, I doubt I'll ever touch this again. I am done with it...

Nyast, Max Heap you guys are very patient to still be playing this.

Empty bottles

Actually you can do that. I've tested it. Everything else, including setting arrows on fire is missing.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
FYI the game is broken in UW exporter at this point for many reasons. It is promising but not ready. Plenty of feedback in the UW thread.

The developer says it is completely playable now from start to finish, for UW1 at least.

Zep--

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sometimes I think people just want to delve into a negative spiral by complaining and watching others complain etc. The ferocity with which I've seen some people complain... I mean, I get it, you spent money on a shit Kickstarter and it didn't go the way you hoped. Tough luck, you can't change that.
Yeah it might be a shit game but I've had my share of fun with shit and mediocre games such as Deadfall Adventures (which I loved for the Indiana Jones vibe) or Cultist Simulator or Wizardry 7.
Spend less time complaining and more time having fun. If you're not having fun, then don't go complaining but do something productive. If you already spent 250 dollars on shit, then don't spend even more time (=your money and/or enjoyment of things) on it, maybe? Only gets worse and worse.

I never understand people who can only like "good things" and then they either try to justify every bullshitty thing as good or they just hate themselves for liking something bad. Just enjoy it and stop worrying so much. :)

OK but seriously write again when you've two hours in and we'll see how the hell you feel lol

I literally can't proceed in the game because it refuses to load the next level and I ain't the only one either

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

The developer says it is completely playable now from start to finish, for UW1 at least.

Zep--

Technically you can finish the game yes, but just read the feedback in the UW thread. Its not the experience you wish it was... yet.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I've already played the originals 3 or 4 times each, back when they were released and several times in the later years.

I made my own "map roamer" back in the early 2000's using an early version of the uw-specs.txt file.

All I could do was walk around the maps, of course. And I didn't figure out how sloped floors worked at the time, so things were all flat.

I'm more interested in the Exporter version because of the tech more than anything else.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom