Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
& do you always go 10 DEX?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Just kill him before he acts? Throw a bomb to hit him and his 2 bodyguards, than kill him.

You get zerker pot + neurostim + antidote, worth it.

What? One bomb can kill Reinard and his guys? And Alchemist too?
What?

You make the alchemist not use his bomb on first turn - put someone closest to the fighter next to the alchemist (one square distance), rest of party on the line closest to Reinhard.

The fighter will move before the alchemist and engage your dude, alchemist won't bomb his own and will try to move closer to your party - if your guy trigger an AoO alchemist won't have AP to bomb - then you block him with melee by moving your guy.

Use PC to bomb Reinard and his 2 dudes, kill him before he acts.

If you're solo prolly best to gib Reinhard and eat one bomb, his stuff>1 bomb.

Looking at this quote makes me wonder if you haven't played it for a while now that I've been looking through the steam forum (which is laughably dead).

There's multiple people on there from Apr/May who says this is incorrect, the Alchemist is more than happy to bomb his mates & tbh, all the Alchemists I've encountered have been more than happy to bomb their mates.

Parabalus

Arcane
Just kill him before he acts? Throw a bomb to hit him and his 2 bodyguards, than kill him.

You get zerker pot + neurostim + antidote, worth it.

What? One bomb can kill Reinard and his guys? And Alchemist too?
What?

You make the alchemist not use his bomb on first turn - put someone closest to the fighter next to the alchemist (one square distance), rest of party on the line closest to Reinhard.

The fighter will move before the alchemist and engage your dude, alchemist won't bomb his own and will try to move closer to your party - if your guy trigger an AoO alchemist won't have AP to bomb - then you block him with melee by moving your guy.

Use PC to bomb Reinard and his 2 dudes, kill him before he acts.

If you're solo prolly best to gib Reinhard and eat one bomb, his stuff>1 bomb.

Looking at this quote makes me wonder if you haven't played it for a while now that I've been looking through the steam forum (which is laughably dead).

There's multiple people on there from Apr/May who says this is incorrect, the Alchemist is more than happy to bomb his mates & tbh, all the Alchemists I've encountered have been more than happy to bomb their mates.

I played this after your post, new char.

Deleted Member 22431

the Alchemist is more than happy to bomb his mates & tbh, all the Alchemists I've encountered have been more than happy to bomb their mates.
Yep, the alchemists now will bomb you to hell even when you are close to his buddies.

Parabalus

Arcane
I had a 100% reproduce rate with the above, though it might be because the alchemist was moving to bomb my PC, and has enough AP to hit him, but gets stopped by an AoO.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm getting a bit bored of ragging on the game & at the stage where I can't be bothered to moan about the next impropriety, but I'm testing out a 10 DEX Hammer dude solo, almost as per your character, I think I put PER to 7 and CON to 8 instead of 6/9 or whatever you had, & I was reminded of another complete headfuck:

Enemy archers don't require Line of Sight.

I had my back to a wall & two dudes in front of me. The enemy archer was way back behind the two guys. There was no way in hell he had any line of sight, unless he's using bent arrows, and yet every turn he's firing arrows at me as if the dudes weren't there. Is this a bug? Is this intentional? Is this something the player can do? I honestly seem to remember that putting people between you and the target blocked the line of site, but sometimes it doesn't? Utterly bonkers stuff.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I had my back to a wall & two dudes in front of me. The enemy archer was way back behind the two guys. There was no way in hell he had any line of sight, unless he's using bent arrows, and yet every turn he's firing arrows at me as if the dudes weren't there. Is this a bug? Is this intentional? Is this something the player can do? I honestly seem to remember that putting people between you and the target blocked the line of site, but sometimes it doesn't? Utterly bonkers stuff.
I remember times where my ranged characters couldn't hit archers, yet they could hit my characters.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
It was 10 crafting, 4 alchemy and I think 7/8 in Hammer/Block.

Right, well, there's something screwy here still.

I have 7 in Block & 7 in Hammer, 6 Crafting, 5 Alchemy & the road block is now the stretch from the three Scolopendras to the four plants.

At the time of the Scolops I had 6 in Hammer & I couldn't hit the Scolops for toffee, about 50% hit rate even on fast attacks. I had to raise Axe to 3 (as I had, LOL, 29 SPs at that point), to get to a 60% hit rate & make the fight not impossible & this was with them all lined up in single file along the railroad.

After that comes the single scolops with three plants, to which I barely made it out alive, but could now put Hammers to 7 (but also with 3 Axe now). However, defeating the plants requires some form of ranged ability, and with your low PER with zero bonuses there I cannot believe you got past the four plants without doing something unusual. You cannot melee these things & 7 in Block does not prevent you taking damage every single turn. There are no consumables to help with this fight.

With the low PER you would have a THC of about 27% even standing two feet from them with a one handed crossbow. Throwing weapons maybe slight better but with barely any damage and not enough Iron to make enough throwing weapons anyway, nor even bronze.

I have more PER than you, giving me 5 THC bonus here even with nothing invested in Crossbows or throwing weapons & I'm not even at 50% standing as close as possible and with an additional point spent in crossbows.

With my 8 DEX character with 10 PER I creamed through these fights like butter, but your build is dying here.

So how about you reveal that you actually also put some points in either throwing or crossbows? You know, did you forget to mention that?

Edit: Nah, forget it, the plants don't have attacks of opportunity, so a high DEX character can move in, strike and move out again...

On with the charade...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
ok, next question:

What armour & shield are you using?

The highest DR you can have is 7 and maintain your 12 APs & that's after you get Steel.

What armour are you using for the constructs, worms & black scolopendras? Who all batter through armour like butter.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
ok, next question:

What armour & shield are you using?

The highest DR you can have is 7 and maintain your 12 APs & that's after you get Steel.

What armour are you using for the constructs, worms & black scolopendras? Who all batter through armour like butter.

Parabalus

So far for the first three Constructs (two bronze & 1 Iron/steel whatever) I've tried the following weapon and amour combos:

Infanty Armour (iron) DR11 + Tower Shield DR14 + Gorza (steel) with +17% THC
Infantry Armour + Serus' Shield DR10 + Gorza
Infantry Armour + no shield + steel two handed hammer
Enforcer's DR8 steel armour with 12 APs + Serus' shield + gorza
Enforcer's armour + tower shield + gorza
All the above but with a steel spiked hammer with a +3 whetstone addition
Then some of the above with throwing two acid flasks at them before initiating combat.

The best I've had is killing the iron/steel one before dying.

With only 8 in Block & 8 in Hammer, they're ripping through me in a couple of turns while my to-hit rate, at best, is only giving 61% on a fast strike. (& don't forget I have a 5 point advantage over your build for THC & I have additional points in Axe, meaning I have about 11 pts more THC than your build had).

I take it you're using some kind of consumable here? Are you using liquid fire here? Bombs?

With my previously failed block build I defeated these quite easily as I had 10 block by this point & could survive a few more rounds combined with a far superior THC in the 80%s for a fast strike even with a less optimised weapon. I didn't even need to start using acid until the purely steel constructs.

So, er, yer, how did you dump these guys with your terrible THC & barely any block build?

Parabalus

Arcane
IncendiaryDevice

I don't have a save before the constructs, closest are save Ismail and Emperor fights. In the latter I have only 2 nets and no bombs (except the mysterious one), so it looks like I got past the construct fights by spamming them to death.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

FFS this is horribru.
At pic you can see, where mouse pointer is where I threw bomb to finish off this fucker-sucker plant. It just disappeared after pointer changed to hourglass for few seconds.
Game seriously need at least one patch.
Also, please add some indication of a tile, where you should stand to close/open some door or gate, it can ruine someone's ironman run like that, in a fight before Reinard and with Rainard himself.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Kopis has more THC than Khopesh in numbers on weapon - first has +5% THC, second +3% THC.
But in reality Khopesh has 3% THC higher than Kopis - why? Same target, same upgrades obviously.

Also - items disappearing from inventory!
Particularly crossbows - seem it's somehow tied to reloading them, when there are many of them in stack.
Maybe related to a reloading through inventory. Have lost 6 hand crossbows like that.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw, my Ironman run ended on Democritus - I forgot how rediculasly strong he is. But I continued anyway.
He double tapped Ingvar to like 6 HP, then one-turned Ismail, after this I just skipped turns so I could reloaded.
Game should somehow indicate he has friggin neurostim, or it's just a "fail and start anew" game.
You can't basically win Ironman if you don't remember/know who is doing/having what, and that's a bit... disapointing.
At least give some clues to PC with high Perception maybe?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom