Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Latelistener

Arcane
At this point, to be quite honest, I simply don't. I don't expect to have any new games that I enjoy.
Have you played Underrail? It's close to UU, has a lot of from immersive sims, although it isn't recognized this way because of comparisons to Fallout.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The ol gamblers folly: one day I'll win!

You just need to be smart.
The stupidity of some codexers is astounding. Do you even realize that we like very niche games?

Do you know what that means? Prety much no publisher or someone with real money (more than couple of millions dolars) will found that since it doesn't have any return of investement. You know what they will found? Popamole, casual, multiplataform, minimun common denominator games since that sell and return you $$$.

Besides the fans of that are not rabid dogs nor perpetually complaing about everything.

Really, how the hell do you expect to have the kind of games we enjoy? Because neither publishers nor investors will found them. Aliens?
:thumbsup:

Sometimes I do back a kickstarter, but seldom, and I look for more than a name and good intentions.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Every franchise that I loved was mercilessly killed in the last decade.

Exactly my feeling. Lets see...

- Fallout
- System Shock (for me it was already killed by Bioshock by the way in "spirit".)
- Deus Ex (although I haven't played the last one)
- Thief
- The Elder's Scroll
- Silent Hill
- Ultima & Ultima Underworld

What else?...

Adon

Arcane
I guess somehow the jankyness of Alpha Protocol is comparable to the technical issues of a game that seems to be more of a tech demo than anything else?

There is no comparison to be had. AP is a diamond in the rough. UA is just flat out unfinished.

Max Heap

Arcane
b58.png

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Really, how the hell do you expect to have the kind of games we enjoy?

At this point, to be quite honest, I simply don't. I don't expect to have any new games that I enjoy. Every franchise that I loved was mercilessly killed in the last decade. SS3 is already as good as dead. And it's not strictly RPGs, I like a lot of other genres and all the names I loved are dead.

This is turning into a "definition of insanity" thing, I've been through it so many times now. The only sane conclusion is that it's pretty much over. Good thing they keep bringing older shit into Steam, just got Sam and Max last night.
I think there's cool modern stuff too. You just gotta let go of the past is all. Expeditions, for example, has two excellent entries and a third on the way, and those were funded through Kickstarter. The difference is that they were trading on having actually made stuff recently and wanting to do more with those concepts and needing money to do it, as opposed to being a 20-year-retired guy with the rights to a name and nothing but ideas.

Expeditions Conquistador is a higher-budget version of mobile things those people were already making, and it's a cool RPG. The real thing you need to throw away is nostalgia because it was never the top men who actually made those games good, it was the regular level designers and workers, and they are sure as hell not coming back to work for 15k a year for Warren Spector when they can do literally anything else

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Stupid analogy and you know it.

What's stupid about it? He's right.

I pretty much learned my Kickstarter lesson, which is...

Let others take the risk with their money.

It's stupid to keep throwing money at nonsense hoping one thing will turn out decent.

LOOK AT ME. I PLEDGED $1,000 TOTAL TO 30 DIFFERENT KICKSTARTERS!
29 of them were horrible, but this one game worth $20 made that $1,000 investment worthwhile!

You can see how stupid THAT is, can't you?

Zep--

Nobody said anything about no-lifers dumping their rental money into KS but nice attempt at hyperbole.

How stupid backing a KS might be is a value statement by the observer not the backer and it probably speaks more to the observer or the situation than it does to the person who backed a project.

If you have 10 bucks to your name and bills piling up, backing anything is probably a bad idea, I think that can be said objectively. Beyond that what do you care other than it is apparently giving, in your estimation, enough pretext to harvest likes from others who lack circumspect thinking?

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Alright, everyone abandon ship and go help Hank Morgan finish Underworld Exporter so we can play UU1 and 2 fullscreen with mouselook. That's the best we're going to get.

For a more vanilla experience with mouselook in UW and UW2 there is this: https://github.com/JohnGlassmyer/UltimaHacks

The issue with mouselook in the original UW is that it immdiately gives you God mode levels of mobility. Pacing, encounter difficulty and other mechanics are designed to be engaging around the intended controls. The UW exporter project suffers from this but it is far worse there because default movement speed is about 3 times what vanilla is.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The very first video review is out.

This is what happens when you don't give a pre-launch review key to IGN.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Every franchise that I loved was mercilessly killed in the last decade.

Exactly my feeling. Lets see...

- Fallout
- System Shock (for me it was already killed by Bioshock by the way in "spirit".)
- Deus Ex (although I haven't played the last one)
- Thief
- The Elder's Scroll
- Silent Hill
- Ultima & Ultima Underworld

What else?...
Anything square-enix and blizzard touched in almost 2 decades.

JBro

Arbiter
The issue with mouselook in the original UW is that it immdiately gives you God mode levels of mobility. Pacing, encounter difficulty and other mechanics are designed to be engaging around the intended controls. The UW exporter project suffers from this but it is far worse there because default movement speed is about 3 times what vanilla is.

I don't think the difficulty from the awful controls is worth keeping. SS1 was made better with mouselook. That being said, Underworld Exporter does need quite a bit of work, still.

sk2k

Novice
Alright, everyone abandon ship and go help Hank Morgan finish Underworld Exporter so we can play UU1 and 2 fullscreen with mouselook. That's the best we're going to get.

For a more vanilla experience with mouselook in UW and UW2 there is this: https://github.com/JohnGlassmyer/UltimaHacks

The UW and UW2 hacks are more vanilla than UW exporter. The Sidestepping and backpedaling speed is untouched.

Glic2000

Educated
Considering it's sort of unplayable with a controller* they should probably re-think their plans for a console release.

*or so I've heard; didn't try it myself.

Oh, it's not coming until the Comfortably Distant Future? (i.e. 2019) Well, I'm sure by then the game will be bwahahahahaha.. Sorry, I couldn't even finish that sentence.

Chunkyman

Augur
they should probably re-think their plans for a console release.

I think they should have rethought their plans for a release to begin with. I mean even if they had to delay another two months and sell their kidneys just to afford some cheap Indian code monkeys to iron out basic bugs and maybe fix a few of the more glaring problems, it might have helped them avoid this catastrophic launch which has pretty much doomed the game and probably their studio even if they patch it.

That said, a console release couldn't hurt them anymore than the PC one has.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron

The UW and UW2 hacks are more vanilla than UW exporter. The Sidestepping and backpedaling speed is untouched.

They are, but mouselook still makes you OP.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
They are, but mouselook still makes you OP.

I played the originals. What the fuck is the difference bewteen "keyboard" look (which it has), and mouselook? How is it making you OP? Mouselook is a QoL feature, nothing more.

As for the "speed", that's adjustable in the config file, I have mine set to 3 and -3

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom