Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Against my better judgement, I read that whole QT3 thread.

Chris is telling the same lies (3 years ago) he was telling 2 weeks before this shit released.

Zep--

Why are you so surprised? It is always about the money. And this is a reason we should always be judgemental of developers, indie or AAA. They are not working for charity or for "the sake of art". They are doing it to make money. They are not doing us any favors.

I can't understand why most people falsely feel like the devs are their childhood pals or something...

Curratum

I can't understand why most people falsely feel like the devs are their childhood pals or something...

If you weren't thick as pigshit, you would realize this strange phenomenon is caused by all the fond memories you accumulated as a kid, playing those games, wearing your teenage rose-tinted glasses and developing a distorted enamoration with your developer hereos that often sticks with you in your adult years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Itz happening!! https://www.pcgamer.com/underworld-ascendant-review/

UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT REVIEW

Underworld Ascendant is the first game from OtherSide Entertainment. Established by the original founder of Looking Glass Studios, OtherSide is essentially Looking Glass 2.0, employing some of the same designers and seemingly sharing the same ideals about game design. Its legacy includes the likes of Thief, System Shock and of course, Ultima Underworld—three mighty pillars of PC gaming. Just take a moment and think about those games, how massively influential and ahead of their time they were. Imagine what those designers could do with today’s technology and tools.

Now imagine the complete opposite. You’ve just imagined Underworld Ascendant.

There’s no way to sugarcoat this. Underworld Ascendant is phenomenally bad, a catastrophic mess of poor design ideas, woeful execution, and bugs the size of buildings.

Despite sharing the same name and the same setting of the Stygian Abyss, structurally Underworld Ascendant has little in common with its groundbreaking namesake. For those unaware, Ultima Underworld resembled a prototype for a modern Elder Scrolls game. It took place in a seamless open environment, featured multiple factions that you could talk to, entreat with and complete missions for, which could be completed in any order.

Underworld Ascendant isn’t like this at all. Instead, it’s more of a hybrid between Dark Messiah and Thief. You, a dyed-in-the-wool RPG protagonist known as the Ascendant is chosen by a spirit named Cabirus to bring down the evil god Typhon. Achieving this boils down to by tracking down seven Abyssal Keys to unlock a big door, while uniting the game’s three factions in the process.

The game itself is divided into seven large, semi-open levels that are connected via portals. You can’t talk to any characters or factions directly. Instead, you take on missions for them via a notice board in the game’s central hub. There are roughly two main missions per level, along with innumerable side-missions generated by the factions. You can only take on one mission at a time, which means returning to the same levels over and over.

It's a bizarre structure, and nothing like either the original Underworld, or what OtherSide originally pitched in its Kickstarter for Ascendant. That said, different doesn’t necessarily mean bad. As you’d expect from a team with Looking Glass heritage, Ascendant heavily invests in the idea of simulation and creative problem solving. The game features three skill-trees themed around the familiar warrior, mage, rogue trinity, while also emphasising physics and simulation of elements like fire. For example, you can use fire to burn down doors, or disable a trap by shooting a lever with an arrow.

This stuff is hardly cutting-edge, but it is potentially enjoyable. Sadly, it’s let down by, well, everything. Things look iffy from the moment the game opens, when a floating mask representing Cabirus appears from the gloom and starts bobbing around in front of you, its expression resembling one of the old guys from the Muppets. The visual design of Ascendant is generally questionable. Environments are passable, verging on pretty in some places, but in-game objects are weirdly chunky and soft-edged, as if everything’s made of clay.

The character design, meanwhile, ranges from distractingly cartoonish to plain awful. The worst offenders are the Saurians, the lizard-people who act as “mediators” for the conspicuously absent factions. With jerky arms and horribly flapping mouths, the Saurians look like something you’d find in the bin outside the set of Sesame Street.

Descendant
While the look of Ascendant is uneven, far worse is the feel of it. Movement is sludgy and imprecise, as if your character is shackled to a ball and chain. Simply walking down a corridor feels like it requires effort, while climbing up a flight of stairs results in a nauseating juddering of the camera. Later on, traversal involves navigating narrow wooden beams and climbing ropes, which with Ascendant’s ponderous controls feels like riding a unicycle on a high-wire. Trying to jump from platform to rope to platform requires 1996 Tomb Raider levels of accuracy and planning.

As you can imagine, combat isn’t great, although it’s far from the worst thing in the game. Nonetheless, I ended up playing primarily using a blend of stealth and magic, mainly because Underworld’s bow is the one tool in the game that feels good to use (although the water arrows are lacklustre to say the least). Moreover, I was intrigued by the creative potential of the magic system, where you combine runes in your hands to discover different kinds of spells.

Sadly, my arcane ambitions were thwarted by the fact that Ascendant doesn’t tell you what a new spell does. It just labels it “New Spell”, which is fine if the effect is obvious, but less useful when you must also figure out what targets the spell will work on. You can discover spell combinations as you explore, although they’re easy to miss as they’re written on rocks. Everything in Ascendant is written on rocks, another weird decision that seems neat at first but ultimately makes the story more difficult to follow. Another bug meant Ascendant randomly forgot which spells I had learned, so eventually I gave up on using any magic other than Healing and Teleport, because I could remember the rune combinations for them.

Magic isn’t the only unnecessarily obtuse system that Ascendant lumbers itself with. The game doesn’t feature a standard XP system. Instead you unlock skill points by performing “Feats”, which are essentially in-game achievements similar to the Skillshot system in Bulletstorm. Unlike Bulletstorm, however, Ascendant doesn’t provide you with any indication of what might constitute a Feat, so unlocking skill-points essentially boils down to luck. Fortunately, this issue was irrelevant for me because of another bug that worked in my favour, frequently giving me points for feats I had already achieved. At one point, I unlocked the Scholar feat, which I had already achieved several times, for crouching.

The Doom counter system also works poorly. It system tracks how close Typhon is to unleashing his full fury on the Abyss. As the Doom counter ticks up, the landscape of each level becomes more “disrupted”, which is to say they become increasingly covered in lava-spewing fissures like environmental measles. The spawning of these fissures seems entirely random, meaning they appear in the most incongruous of places, while several can erupt right beside one another. It really is like a rash across Ascendant’s level design, unsightly and irritating.

Ascendant’s approach to item and enemy randomisation doesn't work either. The bulky treasure chests spawn their loot the moment you open them, the reveal accompanied by a disappointing emission of sparks. Enemy spawning is random, meaning you have lizardmen patrolling right next to skeletal undead, assassins popping up everywhere before vanishing in a puff of smoke. In one area of Titan’s Reach, there were assassins, skeletons, and lizardmen all dithering around this same flooded room. There’s no craft to the placement and spawning of these things at all.

Things got worse the further I stumbled into the game. Around level 4, I began to experience some astonishing glitches. It started with overlapping textures conflicting and strobing out, after which I encountered dozens of walls improperly lined up, exposing empty skybox behind. Then dead enemies began to flap around and snarl at me when I approached their corpses, while chains dangling from ceilings would judder and spin as if dancing to some unheard tune. The deeper I descended, the more surreal it got. In one level, I pulled a lever attached to a trap and the trap just vanished. In another, an entire castleglitched in and out of existence as I adjusted my perspective on it.

At times Underworld Ascendant becomes so broken that it kind of starts working again. My experience became so beleaguered by bugs and bad design that it forced me to think creatively simply to circumvent the problems. At one point, for example, my arrows stopped working. I would fire an arrow and it would disappear, as if snatched from the air by some invisible bird. Given my entire play style was built around stealth and archery, I had no choice but to complete the level via an alternative approach. In this moment, I realised I was playing some warped reflection of an immersive sim. I was forced to be creative, but for all the wrong reasons.

The developers are currently working to fix the bugs, so some of these points may no longer be relevant by the time you read this. But Ascendant’s flaws run far deeper than even the most spectacular gremlins I ran into. I’m yet to mention the save system, which has you plant a tree in the ground to create a spawn point, while the actual save system only maintains your progress from the start of a mission. That’s right, you plant a tree to not-save. Quicksave was good enough for Dishonored. It was good enough for Thief. Why isn’t it good enough for Ascendant, which couldn’t hold a candle to either of them without setting itself on fire?

I’m genuinely interested to know what happened with this project, why it’s gone so horribly wrong. Not only because I’m a fan of Looking Glass’ work, but also because OtherSide are currently developing System Shock 3. If it’s anything like this, well, let's not think about that too much. Underworld Ascendant is simply terrible.

THE VERDICT

UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT

Riddled with bugs and bizarre mechanics, Underworld Ascendant is a bafflingly poor debut from OtherSide Entertainment.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
If you weren't thick as pigshit, you would realize this strange phenomenon is caused by all the fond memories you accumulated as a kid, playing those games, wearing your teenage rose-tinted glasses and developing a distorted enamoration with your developer hereos that often sticks with you in your adult years.

It makes no sense. You play the video games, you don't have fond memories of the developers. You only have the "idea" in your mind of the developers. Makes no sense. People are idiots.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Quicksave was good enough for Dishonored. It was good enough for Thief. Why isn’t it good enough for Ascendant, which couldn’t hold a candle to either of them without setting itself on fire?

Because supporting persistent saves for Unity engine games requires a great deal of effort.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I could'nt have cared less about who the "developers" were when I was a kid/young adult (and hell, even old man) and playing video games.

So Fargo, Avellon, Fergus, Spector. Who gives a shit, really? Only the sperglords on codex, apparently.

Never heard the first 3's names until I joined the codex, and Spector probably in the late 90s.

Make a good game, I don't give a shit what your name is.

Zep--

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quicksave was good enough for Dishonored. It was good enough for Thief. Why isn’t it good enough for Ascendant, which couldn’t hold a candle to either of them without setting itself on fire?

Because supporting persistent saves for Unity engine games requires a great deal of effort.

I wish people would drop that damn engine. It really does seem to struggle with everything.

Still, I'm betting these guys would fuck it up regardless of the engine used.

Curratum

Thank goodness the folks at Inxile got so hyped up about MS money, they actually made Bard's Tale 4 not run like shit so I can finally play that and hopefully forget this sad story sooner rather than later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/712903/Underworld+Ascendant/

Underworld Ascendant
After a successful Kickstarter that was built around a wealth of good ideas, we had high hopes for the return of this past master.

If you look back through the annals of gaming history, in particular at the evolution of the relatively niche immersive sim genre, eventually you'll come across the names of Warren Spector and Paul Neurath. Now, we don't often reference the names of individuals when opening a review, but in this instance, it's relevant because Underworld Ascendant is the much-anticipated return of this pair of genre-defining developers.

It's a homecoming in more ways than one. Not only are the developers now reunited under the banner of OtherSide Entertainment, but the pair is also once again working on an old franchise, one that made their names back in the day. Underworld Ascendant is a modernised take on a classic series; an indirect sequel to Ultima Underworld 2. Some of the core pillars from the originals are retained, but thanks to modernisations seen in the meantime, this is an emergent sim that looks to more recent reference points just as much as it does the lore of old. Like Tomb Raider - which came full circle and started aping the games that it once inspired - Ascendant mixes in its own flavour with ideas plucked from the many games that it directly informed in the intervening years.

When framed like that, Underworld Ascendant is a tempting proposition. Alas, the final product that we sat down to play for this review isn't reflective of the prestigious name it bears, and we regret to inform you that after having taken a closer look following a promising first impression, Otherside's return to the dungeon is less a crawl and more a stumble and a fall.

The idea behind the game and the concept that's explained to you in no uncertain terms is that you, the player, are supposed to think for yourself. That translates into a physics-based first-person adventure where challenges are rarely overcome with brute force and where the player must adapt their tactics in order to survive the trials ahead. OtherSide has built a number of levels, all of which have replayability in mind. Like we saw recently with Prey's Mooncrash expansion, the levels remix every time you start them anew, and while structurally they remain the same, albeit with new areas opening up, the placement of objectives and enemies shifts around the place to keep things fresh.

This setup allows Otherside to recycle the game's environments and you'll spend a lot of time retreading the same well-worn ground, except with different guards patrolling different areas to change up the dynamic. The rest of the environment stays mostly the same, however, which drains the excitement from exploration once you've visited an area a couple of times.

As you dig deeper and explore further, you'll regularly be called upon to use your smarts to progress. In theory, this is a fine idea, but the level structure means that once you've cracked a puzzle, every time you encounter it thereafter it's just unnecessary friction that slows your progress. Many of the puzzles can be solved using the game's much-hyped physics system, which is supposed to facilitate inventive play, but we found the physics lacking and inconsistent, and it caused all manner of bugs and glitches as we ventured further into the Stygian Abyss.

You can generally use magic, stealth, and combat to advance, and each of these areas can be levelled up with points accrued during play. There's a pretty deep upgrade system too, but you'll have to sink in a lot of hours to see the extremity of what it has to offer, and we suspect that most people will grow tired of the game's many inconsistencies before they get anywhere near the tips of any of the branches across the trio of skill trees. If anything, we thought the distribution of skill points was a bit miserly and we'd have liked more options sooner.

The save system sees you plant a sapling tree that you then use as an anchor for future restarts, but if you don't plant one you restart the whole level from scratch if you die. Once you've taken out an enemy, even if you do die, they're gone when you respawn (indeed, the levels only reset once you've completed a mission), which makes advancing through a level a second time relatively quick but ultimately a bit dull. It doesn't help that the enemies you encounter are directed by terrible AI and awful pathfinding. Oftentimes you'll watch on as a skeletal guard walks facefirst into a wall while you slink past, and it's super easy to lure an enemy over a ledge and then climb back up and deal with them from range. When the arrows work, that is.

The first area you visit, the area that largely impressed us when we played it ahead of launch, is pretty polished. It was during a later mission in a different dungeon that alarm bells started ringing, as we were exploiting stupid enemy guards and trying to fill them with arrows when it became clear that our arrows were firing, but not landing. It wasn't every time, but it was enough to be a major problem, and it extended from the more lethal metal-tipped arrows to the water arrows used to darken candles and expedite stealthy gameplay. When our arrows started having zero effect on their designated targets we instead opted to play more aggressively, moving past enemies with less care, and the low-quality AI just didn't have the nous to keep up with our play, effectively turning what should have been a challenging obstacle into a mere inconvenience to rush past.

Players are dissuaded from fighting by the strength of the enemies, as it'll take three or so arrows to fell a skeletal grunt, but you'll have to apply several hits with a sword to bring about the same outcome in melee combat. The swordplay is simple, but it certainly had its thrilling moments as we blocked and slashed at our undead opponents. At least, until we realised it was much easier to just run past them for the most part, using the environment to our favour as we exploited our way out of trouble. Perhaps more variety in terms of enemy types would have helped keep things feeling fresh, as the majority of the time you're avoiding similar-looking skeletons that offer little in the way of gameplay diversity.

Once you've worked your way through a level, snuck past some skeletons, avoided a few simplistic traps, found your objective, and escaped the area via a portal, you'll find yourself back in the hub world that links everything together. It's here that you can level up, sell the gear you picked up during the last mission, maybe get a reward for your efforts, and head off on another mission. Talking to the NPC characters in this area can be a little on the strange side as they gesticulate extravagantly for no reason, talk to you as if they were addressing a hall full of people, and often spout borderline gibberish that has little to no bearing on what you're doing. Your job is ostensibly to unite three factions by doing missions for them and earning favour, and there's an underlying race against time as a demonic villain called Typhon gathers his strength.

To spice things up, Typhon will even chat to you via voiceover monologue, usually at the start of a mission - his booming voice presumably there to remind you that there's method to the madness unfolding all around. The story beats failed to add much gravity to the experience, although it certainly didn't help that we were routinely pulled from our immersion by physics gone awry, enemies clipping through scenery, glitches galore, unfinished parts of the map and textures that didn't load, constant frame-rate drops (particularly when initiating combat, which is in itself problematic), and inconsistencies relating to our bow. After a while we just got tired of the game working against us, not because of design, but because it simply wasn't finished.

Much like this review our time with Underworld Ascendant ended rather abruptly. It was our second run at a particular level. The first ended when we got stuck behind a tree on our way to the exit and had to restart from scratch; the second attempt we tried to run at speed. The reshuffle meant a change of location for our objective and so once we'd got to the final area where our target was hidden, we started sneaking around and searching in the dark for our new goal. After a misstep or two we found our way under the level itself, stuck in a basement that eventually fell into a lake of water. Obviously, we weren't supposed to be here. As we splashed away in this serene body of water looking up at the dungeon hovering above, it dawned on us that we would be unable to find our way back into the level to complete our objective and that yet another restart was required. At this point, it became clear that we were just wasting our time, and with the technical problems mounting alongside our indifference, we decided to call time on our adventure.

score_w100_03.png

+
Interesting ideas.
-
Buggy and unfinished, easy to exploit systems, inconsistent physics, poor AI, performance issues.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
This release reminds me of the old...

Hai Guys! I have a great idea for a game...all I need are some artists, some programmers, a sound guy, a web guy...

UA is what happens when you get all the old "Idea Guys" and use Jr. Programmers and other Jr. what the fucks to implement it.

If they really secured outside funding for this, which I think is also a lie as one of them already said "We worked out of our own pocket...for free...for those 2 months!

If those investors really exist...man, I bet they are kicking themselves now knowing there will be no return on investment.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
And the (no) save system...come on. I work in Unity quit a lot for my hobby/personal entertainment things.

When I'm prototyping something, one of the first things (almost) I do is get a rudimentary save system going (because, you know, after running around a bit, changing things then, "Oh fuck, I have to do this shit all over again to get to point B?" *works on basic save system*.)

It's not that hard if you pre-plan a little, even in Unity.

Zep--

Curratum

I wonder if at this point it wouldn't be better if they simply confess they can't fix the game and don't string along the hundred people who still think they will patch this into something playable. :(

After a month or two when barely anything has been fixed and there are new bugs introduced (they repeatedly confessed that engine and physics changes would sometimes completely break the AI), even those hundred people will start getting mad and this will be in an even sadder story.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
the revoos from the mainstream press are so bad... it smells fishy. Once again.

What the heck is goin on in dis industry.
What are you talking about

it's a shitty game, they SHOULD write bad reviews about it

> Kodex knows mainstream journos are clueless/ lying scumbags
> they bash the shit out of a game with legendary devs and the Kodex rejoices

I'm not saying the game isn't shit (I go by Kodex opinion and haven't even touched it yet). I'm saying this kind of honesty would be extremely atypical - that's some really devastating criticism. Do you think those people suddenly started speaking the truth with no ulterior motives?

Curratum

Wow, really?

Maybe when every chunk of broken wood and every shitty clay pot is physics-enabled and has a boatload of extra data because of it. I don't fucking know, really, but why the fuck else would you not be able to save?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Do you think those people suddenly started speaking the truth with no ulterior motives?

I don't know how this needs explaining, but... This is a safe target. They can safely give it a honest score without offending some PR agency somewhere and ending up on a blacklist. It is how game reviews have always been.

Spector is no Molyneux tho.

And like I said, this is some Kodex level of honesty/ edge. It's like they all copied Darth Roxor's style of game reviewing.

Curratum

Do you think those people suddenly started speaking the truth with no ulterior motives?

I don't know how this needs explaining, but... This is a safe target. They can safely give it a honest score without offending some PR agency somewhere and ending up on a blacklist. It is how game reviews have always been.

Spector is no Molyneux tho.

And like I said, this is some Kodex level of honesty/ edge. It's like they all copied Darth Roxor's style of game reviewing.

It's because the game is actually really honestly irrefutably glaringly obviously this bad. There really is no way to dance around it. You can't sugarcoat it, you can do that in games that have SOME positives and SOME systems that work or are fun. Here you literally don't have anything to grab onto and stretch out to make it seem the game is sorta ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom