Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Mortmal

Arcane
Metro review: https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/21/fallout-76-review-a-bad-idea-poorly-executed-8162807/

No idea how much of importance they are in future not-eu-land, but I found their honesty refreshing.

Highlights:

"Fallout 76 may be the most badly made video game we’ve ever seen from a major publisher."

"Although it is bizarre how much Fallout 76 looks like some sort of abandoned mod, made by first year computer students that got bored after a couple of weeks and never bothered finishing it."

:pete:
Thats surprising it gets bad review with "professional" reviewers, there's not a huge difference of quality with fallout 4 and 3 wich gets 90% all over the board. Did they forgot to buy them doritos this time ?

Nirvash

Liturgist
Yeah, this wasn't a minor investment for Beth. Which prompts the question - why in God's name would you stake so much on something and then proceed to cut it off at the knees in this manner? At times I have mused whether this was a deliberate effort to deep-six a franchise they decided they had no further use for, but that requires far more assumptions than is necessary. Hanlon's Razor tells me gross incompetence is more likely than malicious intent.

Another theory is that this is a test to see how much they can afford to cut things like QA (>implying Beth even has a QA department), how much they can shit in people's faces and still get paid for it.

Is not uncommon at all to see insane greed by the big publishers and massive incompetence for a mmo.

Like, look how hard S-E managed to fuck up early ff14 and had to 100% redo it, this is the same.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Forbes:

'Fallout 76' Review (Xbox One X): Look Upon My Works And Despair

Fallout 76 feels like a shell of a game. It looks, sounds and acts like a Fallout title, but underneath it’s a boundless void, an empty space where it feels like a game was supposed to go, but all we have is the base, the map itself, and the busywork, a series of deeply insubstantial missions and activities.

In the end, I have to come back around to the inevitable conclusion that this is just not a very good video game. Some will say that my experience is tainted because I’ve mostly been trying to play solo instead of with friends, and yet I don’t buy this constant modern gaming narrative about things being “better with friends.” Like sure, games are better with friends. Everything is better with friends. That’s how friends work. You can see a crappy movie or go to an awful restaurant with friends and it will likely be a better experience than it would be alone, and yet that doesn’t mean the thing in question isn’t still bad. And Fallout 76 is bad.

Fallout 76 is just not a complete video game and I don’t think it ever will be. Losing traditional VATS and quicksave, combined with so many forced grindy survival elements make gameplay a chore, and the addition of other players, although occasionally amusing, is not worth everything that’s been lost to make this happen. And yet even if this was an entirely offline, single player experience, this is an open world game devoid of any interesting story components past a neat holotape or two, an empty dead world inhabited by things that want to kill you and a few robots that will barely acknowledge you exist (and will sometimes also want to kill you). This is like watching a movie where a narrator is just constantly speaking over nothing but shootouts and fight scenes and you’re meant to try to follow the plot.

While admittedly I was skeptical about the concept of Fallout 76 going in, this is still worse than I anticipated. But not even for the reasons I thought! This experience isn’t ruined by other players trolling or harassing me or breaking immersion, it’s ruined by the mere concept of being on a live server itself, and the fact that this was rushed out before any engaging story elements were able to be crafted to populate this map. This is a huge, rare, total miss by Bethesda, and even if it’s improved in time, I can only judge it by the hours I’ve lost to it so far.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...box-one-x-look-upon-my-works-and-despair/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...hat-fallout-76-todd-howard-e3-reveal-now/amp/

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, for the XBox or consoles it is since they are priced higher that PC.
I recall they pulled that stunt with the PS3 and 360 saying that was because it was "during launch and prices would come down" ... they never did.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
Beautiful trainwreck, betcha Beth didn't saw this kick in the balls coming, they've been sitting on their perch for far too long.

Oracsbox

Oxhorn Bethesda shill doesn't disappoint and takes Todd Howard's cock dry.

OWG who always sounds like Todd Howard's cock is permanently in his mouth also loves his 76.
Just listen to his hilarious anecdote at the 4 minute mark I couldn't stop laughing.

:prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper:
:dead:

PorkBarrellGuy

Reading metacritic reviews, nice to see Bethesda finally kill Fallout with their own Fallout online.

I'm just glad to be alive for this day.

"You know that thing that Interplay didn't do because it was a silly, costly idea with huge potential for being a disaster? WE DID THE THING."

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
My prediction which I wrote in the NMS thread (so Im moving it here for posterity) is that F76 will do fine in the long term.

It will be a slow burn, and just like the NMS/Destiny 2 debacles, given enough time you will start to see the apologists swing popular opinion. Currently its trendy to hate the game and youtubers/journalists are like sheeple/sharks (sharkles?) that swarm when they smell blood. But you can already see the groundwork being set by guys like CohnCarnage as I linked earlier. He is "having fun playing the game", and its problems are only due to bugs and a crappy launch.

For evidence just look at NMS, they "fixed" the game when they launched "Next" and youtube went into orgasmic hysteria about how great the game is now. Even though the only thing of value they added is multiplayer. The actual game loops are still shitty, tedious, grinding for the sake of grinding in an infinite universe that all looks exactly the same. But you can do it with friends so thats enough to get the morans flocking back to NMS.

Clearly Bethesda did underestimate how much half assery they can get away with on launching a new game, surprisingly you cant just slap multiplayer/co op onto a hollow shell and expect it to do well. But I will bet in a years time when they bring out their version of the "Next" dlc, patch whatever, we will see this exact same apologist process begin.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dsj78t1UUAA8fUX.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I wouldn't mind if they fix the embarrassment. Damn, I'll even give it a try! But it's not just the bugs, it's shit like no push to talk in a fucking multiplayer game in 2018; what the actual fuck were they thinking? The fact that all the story/lore is given to you via holotapes and if something happens while you're listening to them you can go fuck yourself because there is no pause/replay? I am a couple of franchises away to have lived long enough to see everything I love eastbound & down.
They think you are a retarded fag that will buy it no matter what.

Latelistener

Arcane
For evidence just look at NMS, they "fixed" the game when they launched "Next" and youtube went into orgasmic hysteria about how great the game is now. Even though the only thing of value they added is multiplayer. The actual game loops are still shitty, tedious, grinding for the sake of grinding in an infinite universe that all looks exactly the same. But you can do it with friends so thats enough to get the morans flocking back to NMS.
Even retards have limits: https://steamcharts.com/app/275850#6m

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom