Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will we ever get a game with as much intricate world-building as Morrowind again?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Simple question. Will we? If so, who will do it? If it ever does happen it will be a small team of indie devs that tackles some hugely ambitious project, in over their necks and somehow pull it off by neglecting themselves and everyone around them for a few years. What say you?

Deleted Member 16721

Oh come on. I like Morrowind as much as the next person, but that's ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous? I haven't seen a game that crammed as much "stuff" into an RPG since. Pathfinder has a lot, Baldur's Gate is up there (pre-Morrowind of course) but what CRPGs would you say have a similar level of world-building, lore, uniqueness, history, political intrigue, religious implications, personality, varied landscapes, etc. etc. as Morrowind? Gameplay aside, but which also has a ton of "stuff" (skills, classes, stats, spellmaking etc.). Serious question.

Plisken

Learned
Simple question. Will we? If so, who will do it? If it ever does happen it will be a small team of indie devs that tackles some hugely ambitious project, in over their necks and somehow pull it off by neglecting themselves and everyone around them for a few years. What say you?

indie dev + huge ambitious project = development hell, development burnout, "oops sorry we took your money but we cant give it back now because james spent it all on hookers", etc.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
When the time/cost of creating assets is reduced massively through software so that an indie can do it in reasonable time. The AAA gaming scene has moved on from video games and into games as gambling machines. Do not expect anything like Morrowind from AAA publishers.

Deleted Member 16721

indie dev + huge ambitious project = development hell, development burnout, "oops sorry we took your money but we cant give it back now because james spent it all on hookers", etc.

Well I'm just saying, if we ever see it it will be that way, not some big budget thing. No AA devs now would waste time on content people aren't going to see unless you're a (borderline) insane indie dev.

You should make a Youtube video of this topic.

I was thinking about it, but then I'd probably need a script. I could just rant and rave for 20 minutes, but I'll get the usual "you should have edited this, use a script" etc. comments. I don't feel like writing one but who knows. Maybe I'll wing it soon.

Deleted Member 16721

When the time/cost of creating assets is reduced massively through software so that an indie can do it in reasonable time.

Yep, and I think that time is (eventually) coming, with the sharing of assets, modders teaming up, easier to use tools, etc.. We need more insane devs like Ken Rolston and Michael Kirkbride again. People who don't play it safe but just go all in.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I like the worldbuilding in TES, but the universe isn't grounded enough and lacks consistent aesthetic/themes.

Fallout had the best universe of any RPG before bethesda raped it with 3/4/76. I's unsalvageable now.

Deleted Member 16721

You should make a Youtube video of this topic.

Just did a 20 minute tired ramble on it. Will post it tomorrow if anyone's interested.

I like the worldbuilding in TES, but the universe isn't grounded enough and lacks consistent aesthetic/themes.

Fallout had the best universe of any RPG before bethesda raped it with 3/4/76. I's unsalvageable now.

Not if Obsidian had another crack at it, but I see what you're saying. The worldbuilding in Morrowind is my focus, not TES on the whole, since IMO it starts to take a backseat to the action elements of the game in Oblivion and Skyrim. I think MW's worldbuilding is top-notch and legendary, still unmatched to this day. But that's just my opinion.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

0 Ratings

John Kernick
Active Time
N/A
Total Time
30 MIN
Yield
Serves : 4
Justin Chapple
July 2017

Food & Wine’s Justin Chapple uses vegan coconut yogurt as the base for a terrific healthy version of ranch dressing. It’s wildly versatile but also especially tasty on this supercrunchy sprout-packed salad. Slideshow: More Spinach Recipes

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup plain vegan coconut yogurt (not coconut-
flavored)

• 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar

• 3/4 teaspoon onion powder

• 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder

• Kosher salt
  • Pepper

• 4 ounces baby spinach

• 4 ounces sunflower sprouts

• 1 cup mixed crunchy sprouts (sprouted beans)

• 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved 

• 1 large Hass avocado—peeled, pitted and cut into 2-inch pieces

• 6 radishes, thinly sliced

• 1/4 cup roasted salted sunflower seeds