Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Civilizations II

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
And there is release date, 22nd november

DrmjaGTXgAAWzDD.jpg

Dr-69KOWwAUD21T.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Watched the prerelease vid and the AI looks more competent than what Paradox ever did.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cautiously optimistic on this one. I feel like it's a bit overly ambitious and that could water down the good stuff somewhat, but at the same time it looks better than nay other EU clone I've seen.

Beastro

Arcane
Things i gathered

- turn based
- made by 1 guy
- no monarch mana
- spans all of history and into the future
- has mechanics which EU lack

Yeah, that'll work out fine....

I can see this guy shoving in so much shit and not being able to work on even a fraction of it.

These Paradox game clones always look like horrible shovelware, but who knows?

Early Paradox games didn't look any different~

It's kinda fascinating to see the repetition of national colours across different game series.

I don't mean the apparent ones, like blue for France and red for the Ottomans, but that salmon pink for Poland that keeps popping up, as well as England often being that dark orange.

Makes me wonder where some without precedent got going, like that orange coming from Civilizations choice of faction colour for England that other devs grew up on and used consciously or not afterwards.

2. Over-ambitious "from dawn of human civilization to the future" time-period playthrough. Which means a watered-down game, because its harder to make such mechanics truly atemporal. So, he will need more abstraction.

I hate when the player effectively becomes an immoral guiding hand for a nation for thousands of years that refuses to allow for cultural change unless the game provinces incentives to do so, like Paradox decisions that change Brandenburg to Prussia and then to Germany rather the the course of the game causing divisions and fragmentations of what you've built up. The only challenge would be to make such a mechanic without it being arbitrary, like "You've built up the Roman Empire, but now after all these centuries the different Romanized cultures have developed in regions and now wish to go their own way, so despite all you've done the Roman Empire is arbitrarily fragmented into separate states because an event triggered rather than as a direct outcome of the development of how you built it up".

Would be neat if a game like this would put in some mechanic where you had to chose when you directly controlled things and for how long you could, then outside of those eras your faction would be run by the AI to emulate in a way the rise and decline of empires and nations.

You might be able to do well in your latest set 500 span of direct control, but then the AI does things that totally undermine your accomplishments leading you to take control over a rump state or successor culture struggling to come back from the brink.

Regardless, I love fragmenting factions in games like these. I loved that mechanic in Civ2 and 3 where if you captured an large empires capital without doing much else besides that it had the chance of splitting the civ into a rump state and new one that would spawn and take over half of their empire. I feel that doing that towards the player as they constantly fight to map paint is the only real way of striking a balance between gameplay limitations and the ruthless snowballing the player always does in these games.

The only thing I fear is, no matter how organic it could be made, most people would bitch and throw a fit over it ruining their map painting rather than them go with the flow of history enjoying their triumphs and falls.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
You gonna do a review Makabb ?

Maybe Paradox will have to make their next game on mobile phones to compete with this guy!

Anyway Im sure this will be rubbish but what can you expect for 5$ and a one man developer.

Alright, played it a bit:

1. This game needs a proper manual. And no, a bunch of thirty minutes videos by a polish autist a proper manual does not make.

2. I tried to play Tupinamba tribe. Did a lot of researching and migrating (what a stupid mechanic), and then Europeans showed up and it was pretty much over.

3. I like the way the techs are divided. Still, would like to see a far deeper tech system.

4. Its turn-based, but you can manually end turns with space, or press enter to start turns, which then run by themselves according to the speed you set. Every turn is like a month, and every year is like twelve turns. Its a weird but interesting mix of Pdox games and turn-based strategy.

5. The combat system is drek. Provinces are taken at once, quantity AFAIK is all and war strategy is pretty much hunting down the enemy stacks and taking enemy land before the enemy can recruit enough troops to kill you.

6. I like the concept of investing. There's also propa building.

7. Popullation numbers are out of wack in many, in if not all scenarios.

8. Game comes with lots of scenario - the most important ones are probably 1200 and 1400. There's also a modern scenario, and also a modern USA and modern Brazil scenario.

9. Pretty much every language ever.

10. It has things like cores and popullation nationality, which is nice. Also, demographics are generally a great thing to see in those games.

11. Aparently the AI is a bit too passive right now and it was just updated to be better, and also added the option of changing AI aggressivity.

Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can play it properly with a non-american nation.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
It's amateurish and simplistic but it has some nice concepts. As it stands it's nowhere near a decent competitor to Paradox's grand strategy games though.

My biggest problems with it so far is that there is no religion and the leaders don't change over time.

Best part is that there are no mana points.

Beastro

Arcane
2. I tried to play Tupinamba tribe. Did a lot of researching and migrating (what a stupid mechanic), and then Europeans showed up and it was pretty much over.

That could turn into a neat mechanic down the line if it had an open ended progression kinda like Civilization.

Early combat wouldn't wipe out your enemies, but force migration elsewhere, and you'd have to fight with groups to expand early. The result being you'd sour relations with potentially powerful factions later on that work to destroy you once everyone stops migrating and runs into "Submit or be wiped out" stage that differentiates early warfare from what has come after the Bronze Age or so.

The Powhatan Massacre of Jamestown is a good example of the two mentalities running into each other and why English colonists by themselves won. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Powhatan_Wars

Yeah, Lukasz definitiely made something interesting, if simple. He is into something, he just needs to add complexity to it. I hope he gets more sales that allow him to develop more and make something complex.

My worry was he'd do the opposite and load in the complexity all at once. How he's handling things now may not make for a good game, but it may develop in a good series down the line if he has the patience not to rush things.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
New patches

- AI and trade fixes
- AI will be less passive
- improved responding to peace treaties
- now AI is able to form coalitions against stronger nations with rivals of that nation
- fix trade request

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom