Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Solid Snail

Learned
GOG confirmed only Telltale games were given away to people who had those wishlisted.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
uJGOQgN.png

Give 50% dammit

PorkBarrellGuy

Wasn't The Adventures of Willy Beamish a fucking Sega CD title?

EDIT: Yeah, actually, got ported to SCD in 1993. Knew I had seen that name in a weird place before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If anything the game's been vindicated by time: there have been worse games and they haven't been reviled anywhere as much.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
With mods (and proper removal of the NPCs), Daikatana turns into a decently running 90s shooter. Not the best, no, the level design isn't all there but it is still fun enough.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I played Daikatana twice, first time just after release (gave up on it VERY quickly), second time a few years later when it was fully patched. Honestly the patches improved the game tremendously and took out most of the bugs. The only real problems I remember having with it were related to the suicidal NPC AI (which was bad because keeping them alive is required) and the interminable loading times (which are not hardware-dependent). Outside of those, and especially in levels with no NPCs, the game has quite a bit going for it actually, including really cool weapon variety and some fun level design. With the immortal NPCs fix it would actually turn into a decent shooter I think. Even in the state I'd played it I place it above most of the straight-line, 2-weapons-max, shitty scripted grimdark modern war shooters that I've played in the past decade or so. It might've been a terrible game compared to the likes of Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half-Life et al, but really, as I've said time has given us so much worse.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This is what happens when you let newfags put their hands on old games.
Are they also filling the black borders with a blurred version of the screen (to totally make it look like it's wide screen) or is that just for the screenshots?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, don't bury the lede. Flashback is coming to GOG, that's great news. It was absurd that that the crappy remake was available but not the original.

DayofBlow

Educated
Has Soldier Of Fortune: Payback on his wishlist

:what:

Have you no dignity? This shit isn't even worth pirating.

Shit game, but shooting apart enemies is somewhat fun. I like how the game is called 'Payback' but you don't know what you are paying back for until like the final mission. A paddy hot potatoed the face of your girl friend. Voice acting and cutscenes are on the cusp of being unintentionally funny, but the average person would feel sick by the time he reaches them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Huh: http://ultimacodex.com/2018/12/the-codex-will-no-longer-be-a-gog-affiliate/

The Codex Will No Longer Be a GOG Affiliate
BY WTF DRAGON · PUBLISHED DECEMBER 3, 2018 · UPDATED DECEMBER 3, 2018

It wasn’t the happiest email I could have received, I suppose, although in truth it didn’t come as much of a surprise.

The Ultima Codex — and Ultima Aiera, before it — has been an affiliate of GOG for a number of years now, since either 2011 or 2012 (I can’t actually recall). It was a partnership brokered in part by Mythic, who at the time were working with GOG to arrange for the Ultima games to be made available for sale.

And initially, being a GOG affiliate was good for the site; it was a bit of extra money coming in to help offset hosting costs, after all. Over the years, due to various changes GOG has made to the program, being an affiliate has been less advantageous; payouts became less frequent. And, this morning, I was informed that after January 2, 2019, the Codex’s involvement with the affiliate program will end, apparently because GOG are moving in a different direction with the program.

This won’t really mean much in the way of changes here on the Codex, however; Patreon has largely overtaken GOG as a means of offsetting hosting costs. I may consider bringing back Amazon affiliate links and/or a PayPal donation button, as additional options…I haven’t decided on that, just yet.

The GOG links — to the store pages for each Ultima game or collection — will also remain in the sidebar, though obviously I’ll be removing the affiliate ID from the links.

At any rate, if GOG was a way that you, O Reader, supported the Codex, you have my thanks for that. It’s a shame that things with GOG are coming to an end, but don’t worry: things won’t be changing for the worse around here in the wake of it.

Chad J. Thundercock Taluntain Are we next?

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
GOG is getting worse with every second. Removing my GOGmix (and later all other gogmixes), banning people for non-politically correct comments, firing Linko90 for some harmless tweet which triggered some Resetera retards, some stupid curation which prevents good indie games to be present there, etc. etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom