Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten oldies - ZX Spectrum games

Did you own a ZX Spectrum?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • My friend had it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mareus

Magister
My gaming career started in 1985 when I was 4 years old and my dad brought home a new toy that would completely change my understanding of the word "fun". I still remember how he sneaked home and hidden it in a closet, telling me not to say anything to my mom. I don't know how much he must have payed for it, but I sure knew it would piss my mom a lot.

Anyway, one day when my mom was working he took out the hidden package and took out a keyboard with a rainbow sign on it. After few minutes he connected it with all kind of different cables and devices, then he started typing on it while giving me a satisfying wink. Suddenly some lines started appearing on the TV and there were horrible noises comming out of this strange machine. The lines slowly seemed to draw a picture on the TV and after few minutes I saw a cartoon with my dad moving the character on the screen. I was stunned. I couldn't believe what I have seen! It was a door to completely new world and it looked like pure magic to me.

I later found out the toy was called ZX Spectrum and that you can play video games on it. Whatever, I thought. I just wanted to be that jumping cartoon character in this new world.

Sinclair_Spectrum_Large_0.img_assist_custom.jpg

So my gaming career started and it is really funny how much fun I had with those games that people today would laugh at. Even more surprising was my dad, who played them with as much enthusiasm as me.

The system featured just 8 colors and despite that it still somehow looks magical to me. I just can't believe how much imaginaton the developers had to use to create such beautiful worlds using just 8 colors. So let us start.

Kokotoni Wilf
Now here is a game that brings back sweet memories. I believe this was the very first game I ever played. Elite was a company whose first game was Kokotoni Wilf and to me it is still one of the best games I have ever played on ZX Spectrum.
Kokotoni1.gif

Kokotoni Wilf is the name of the hero you play in great game which features 63 locations and incredible 8 color graphics. I really had no idea what the story is about, because there is no intro in most of ZX Spectrum games, and you are just thrown into action. Anyway, by Crash online edition the story has it that several hundred years ago in a province of Northern Europe there lived a Great Magician, who discovered that there had once existed a Dragon Amulet, fragments of which had been scattered throughout time. The Great Magician wanted to recover all the fragments, but by the time he had made the discovery, he was too old to undertake the mission himself. So he summoned his athletic protege, Kokotoni Wilf, gave him a pair of wings, and sent him off in search of the fragments. First of all, the Magician sent Wilf back more than 500 million years to a time when Dinosaurs roamed the earth.
sftwre13.gif

Your mission is to search for the various pieces of the amulet, which resemble glowing Stars of David, some 63 pieces, and then when all the pieces have been found and collected from one time zone, the Magician has enough strength to create a flashing timegate which Wilf must find and enter it to get to the next time zone.

There are six time zones — 965BC, 1066, 1467, 1784, 1984 and 2001, and between 10 and 12 locations within each time zone, which are linked in a maze fashion. Each time zone has its own distinct graphics from the period. In the first there are dinosaurs, pterodactyls and saurians, etc. In 1066 there are Conquerors, long bows and warriors; alchemy makes an appearance also, followed by the Spanish main period. 1984 is represented by townscapes starting off with Trafalgar Square. And 2001, of course, is full of Moon stations, shuttles and space paraphernalia.
kokoton2.gif

You move your angel with 3 buttons. Left, right and fly button. Using those commands you have to avoid everything that moves, and you should also avoid colorful objects like yellow or red. Enemies just walk same routes over and over, and you have to find a way to avoid them. If they touch you, or if you touch a wrong object you will lose a life. I never managed to finish the game, because it was just too hard, and sometimes avoiding the enemy seems almost impossible. Add no save or load option and you will see why I could never finish it. All in all, one of the best games on ZX Spectrum I have ever played.

The object of the game is to search for the various pieces of the amulet, which resemble glowing Stars of David, some 63 pieces, and then when all the pieces have been found and collected from one time zone, the Magician has enough strength to create a flashing timegate which Wilf must find and enter to get to the next time zone.
kokoton1.gif

There are six time zones — 965BC, 1066, 1467, 1784, 1984 and 2001, and between 10 and 12 locations within each time zone, which are linked in a maze fashion. Each time zone has its own distinct graphics from the period. In the first there are dinosaurs, pterodactyls and saurians, etc. In 1066 there are Conquerors, long bows and warriors; alchemy makes an appearance next, followed by the Spanish main period. 1984 is represented by townscapes starting off with Trafalgar Square. And 2001, of course, is full of Moon stations, shuttles and space paraphernalia.

I never managed to finish this game, because it was just too hard. Some obstacles seemed almost impossible to avoid and apperantly Elite was giving free copies of their next game to first 100 people who finished Kokotoni Wilf. I guess that is why it was so hard.

Atic Atac
This was also one of the games I grew up with. Personaly I believe this game was one of the indications why I will one day fall in love with RPG genre. The analogy almost seems silly, but Atic Atac allowed you to chose one of 3 characters, you had a dungeon full of monsters and you also had varios objects, keys and doors which helped you in your quest. I know those are not RPG elements, but the atmosphere alone and some ideas got me so hooked up with this game I used to dream what would happen behind some locked doors. I imagined I would find someone to talk to, or maybe find a new weapon, or something else. Those imaginations of a 4 year old kid would later make me search for real RPG games that apparently had things I used to dream about.
AticAtac.gif

In this fast pace action exploration arcade game your character is thrown into a dungeon with only one way leading out. In the first room where you appear there is a huge door and you have to find a key to be able to open it and escape the dungeon. Unfortunately the key is broken into 3 parts and scattered through the rest of the dungeon filled with monsters. To make things even harder, to be able to get to all 3 parts of the large key you will have to find smaller keys of different color which let you pass through doors of the same color as that key. So if you have a blue key, you will be able to pass only through blue doors, but you can only carry 3 items at a time so you will have to drop some keys to be able to pick up others and then return to pick them up later in order to finish the game. Confusing I know.
atic1.gif

You also have to constantly search for food which restores your health and the biggest problem wont be just killing hordes of enemies, but maintaining your health which drops even if you don't get hurt by the enemy, because of stravation. Later in the game food gets really scarce and you will probably die of starvation quite often. The dungeon is filled not only with monsters that constantly appear out of nowhere, but also with monsters which can only be killed with certain items you find in the dungeon. For example, Frankenstin can only be killed with a wrench, Vampire can be chased away if you have a cross in your inventory, etc..
kgfgfu.png

One other thing that makes this game one of my all time favorites on ZX Spectrum is randomization. Not only does the game randomize items through the dungeon every time you play it, but it also allows different characters different shortcuts to secret rooms. So the knight character will be able to go through seals, wizard will be able to go through bookcases and thief will be able to go through barrels if I remember correctly. Note however there is no other difference between characters, except appearance and weapon of choice. The knight will throw axes, thief will throw short swords and magician will throw magic balls into the enemies.
Atic_atac_4.gif

In recent years someone also made a remake of this game, with all new and flashy graphics so you might as well try it out. I didn't finish this one either :P

SKool Daze
This is probably my favorite ZX Spectrum game of all times. It had all those things you wanted to do in the school but you couldn't. The best thing was that I had the Croatian/Serbian version of the game with insults that would just crack me up. The Croatian/Serbian version was much better because unlike English version it used the F word quite often. That with combination of cocks and mentioning your mom screwing the profesors in the atic of the school. LOL
skooldaze.gif

You start the game by giving the main characters and teachers names. I remember giving teachers silly names like Dr. Fatso, or Mr. Shithead which made me laugh quite often when I was a kid. After that you stat the game by comming to school. I never figured out what the hell you were supposed to do in the game and I just played it for lulz, but from the remake that was made few years ago, you were supposed to hack into headmasters computer and erase your file which could get you kicked out from the school. To do that you were supposed to get some shield items which gave you hints to what the password was and then use it on the computer. The remake is a bit different and more complete from original, but the gameplay is the same.
sdaze2.gif

Anyway, when the game starts you can begin to play your character in anyway you like. You can for example be a goodie nerdy boy who goes to all the classes, who doesn't get into fights and avoids any kind of trouble. Of course you can also be a bully that abuses other kids and jumps all over them, shoots teachers with slingshot, writes insults on the boards and skips the lessons. The more trouble you cause the closer you are to getting kicked out from school, and that is one thing we want to avoid. I mean all the fun is in school right?
yr12_27a.gif

The school wouldn't be a school if you didn't have bullies, troublemakeres and snitches. One of the most annoying characters in gaming history was Einstein who was a perfect little student who always knew all the answers and who snitched at every little thing you did in the game. For example if you write on the board, the teacher will get upset about it and he will ask who did it. At that time Einstein will say: "I cannot tell a lie Mr. Asswipe, Mareus wrote all over the board.". Then I will kick his ass after the lesson and he will run to the headmaster and snitch again how I hit him in the face. No matter how many times I play that game I always end up smashing his face. LOL
SkoolDaze.gif

Whenever a teacher sees you doing something bad, or whenever Einstein snitches on you, you will get lines, and after you get 10000 lines you get kicked out of school. The most funny thing I came up with was setting other students little traps so they took the blame for my misdoings. You can for example shoot a teacher with slingshot while Einstein or some other student is near them, which will cause the teacher to yell at them instead of you. In Croatian/Serbian version the teachers were yelling insults I can't even translate on English, but they were something like this:
"Goddamit, you little fuck! How many times do I have to tell you not to hit people in the face!"
"I fucked your mother in the atic you little shit! I wanted you to know this before I kick you out of school!"
"You little dipshit! Stop using that slingshot!"
LOL

I had loads of fun with this game. This one is a real gem, and I would suggest you get a remake and have some fun. In the remake you can also change what the teachers are saying in the .txt file that comes with the game. This game is a pure win and I don't see how anyone could not have fun with it.

------
This is so far. I will add some other games later when I find the time. Other games to be reviewd:

Alchemist
Scuba Dive
Popeye
Robin of the Wood
Manic Miner
Jet Set Willy
Goonies
Fist
Bruce Lee
Toobin
Tanks

And many others. If someone has a request for a review you can add it.

Mareus

Magister
C64 ruled, but I don't know why I liked ZX Spectrum graphic more. I just find it somehow cleaner and the games were pretty much the same.

Just compare some C64 graphics with ZX Spectrum Graphic:
C64 Exolon
exolon.gif

ZX Spectrum Exolon
exolon.gif

C64 Bruce Lee
bruce_lee_02.gif

ZX Spectrum Bruce Lee
Bruceleegame.png

Seboss

Liturgist
My first computer was an Amstrad CPC 464.
My brother had an Apple II at this time and I was *very* jealous of Bard's Tale, Ultima, Wizardry and other games that never made it to the Amstrad.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ZX Spectrum also had many quite interesting adventures - text ones and graphical. Especially the ones from Bill Gilbert.
Spectrum also was one of the first platforms that had Elite. A game that was ahead of its time.
Exolon was my first computer game ever played actually back in 1990.
And games that were recorded on tape. A whole drawing software with brushes, sprays like some proto-photoshop called "Art Studio". 30 kilobytes that were loading into memory for 3 minutes. Sprite and vector graphics. Oh this nostalgia is just too overwhelming.
There was also even a football manager game where you could choose one of the european leagues and then manage your team. It even supported savegames, but they didn't work as after the loading from them the game was becoming messed up.

Hory

Erudite
Yeah, I still have the Spectrum that my dad bought us (though he didn't use it). It's actually a compatible, communist replica. A lot of games were simple, but there were also masterpieces such as Laser Squadron and Lords of Chaos (from the makers of X-Com). I have a lot of nice memories about events regarding ZX Spectrum gaming but for now I'll just say that it's charm is unmatched in today's age of computers. Early-DOS gaming was similarly better. Is it only because we were kids, or have games today become too commercial? Every game back then used to be a new experience. Now they just fall into a few repetitive archetypes.
Oh, and C64 sucks because of wide pixels.

Mareus

Magister
I added Skool Daze Review. LOL

I still have loads of fun with this game. Personally I don't give a crap if you missed all ZX Spectrum games, but this one you should not miss just for the the good laugh.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ballbreaker2.jpg

Ballbreaker. Neat design, kinda isometric Arkanoid. Hard as fuck, but I think I got to 44th lvl or so.

ThreeWeeksInParadise.gif

3weeks.gif

adventure 3 weeks in paradise with Exolon easter egg on the last screenshot

Mareus

Magister
Damn this just brings back memories.

If any of you guys have the nostalgia trip while reading this thread, I can help that. I have an emulator and around 10000 games on DVD, which I think covers pretty much anything that was ever made on ZX Spectrum. So just PM me and I will post a link over rapidshare. I just can't find Santa Clause game where you play Santa delivering presents to the kids. Damn that was a great game. Wish someone knew where to get it because I can't find it anywhere.

Hory

Erudite
Mareus said:
Damn this just brings back memories.

If any of you guys have the nostalgia trip while reading this thread, I can help that. I have an emulator and around 10000 games on DVD, which I think covers pretty much anything that was ever made on ZX Spectrum. So just PM me and I will post a link over rapidshare. I just can't find Santa Clause game where you play Santa delivering presents to the kids. Damn that was a great game. Wish someone knew where to get it because I can't find it anywhere.
ALL Spectrum games fit on a CD, as far as I know. Funny how on an object can hold the entirety of human creation (game mechanics, stories, art) in a field.

mondblut

Arcane
Lords of Midnight. Lords of Midnight, dammit.

Some of the other great games were Legions of Death (Punic war naval strategy), Emlyn Hughes' International Soccer (the best soccer sim on speccie, as far as I am concerned - I used to edit in real team rosters, play out national championships of many european countries and then play out european cups using the championships' outcomes), HeroQuest (the Milton Bradley's boardgame dungeon crawl), Swords & Sorcery (RPG-like first person dungeon crawl).

But Lords of Midnight was supreme.

I had 3 ZXes, by the way. One plain at home, one plain at suburban house and a 128 kb one with 5" disks.

Fez

Erudite
Lords of Chaos was pretty good too if you were a fan of Chaos.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yes, I still remember those rubber buttons fondly... I got a ZX pretty late , but the incredible thing is that games were still made for the ZX in the early nineties.

Some of my favorite games were :

Saboteur:
saboteurrs2.gif

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004293

Myth: History in the Making
mythhistoryinthemakingjz2.gif

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0003354

Target; Renegade
targetrenegadejc7.gif

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004087

Elite
elitexd9.gif

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0001601

Midnight Resistance
midnightresistancesr8.gif

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0003188

Fist II: The Legend Continues
fistiithelegendcontinuedp8.gif

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0005644

Oarfish

Prophet
Finally remembered the name of one of my other favourites - Shadowfire. Great little real time strategy game where you have to battle your way through a huge spaceship before the clock runs out. Bloody hard it was too.

sfire1.gif

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I am also a Spectrum nut.

Did you know that

a) Nintendo DS screen resolution is a 1:1 match to ZX Spectrum ?

b) There's an emulator there that runs EXOLON on the DS perfectly ?

The more you know (tm).

Seboss

Liturgist
mondblut said:
Lords of Midnight. Lords of Midnight, dammit.
[...]
But Lords of Midnight was supreme.
You're totally right. I can't think of any game of the 8-bit era that left me so many fond memories.
Of course the game setting was an obvious ripoff of LoTR but I had not read the books at this time so I was just blown away by the setting.
I have to admit I never managed to beat it either with a Ice Crown victory or military victory. Note that I was barely 10yo back then.

I wonder if it's still 'playable' today.

Fez

Erudite
If you can put up with the graphics and interface it still plays well enough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hey Spectrum adventures required you to enter text commands on what your character had to do letter by letter. Not like your dumbed down shit like Discworld and Tex Murphy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom