Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Trashos

Arcane
Played it for an hour. Few things:

- Got a .44 by persuading the armory guy.
- Bullets run out fast. After restarting the generator, am going back to the base to buy more .44 ammo and sell hides and stuff I don't want.

.44 are a bit rare, so you might also want to keep a gun with more a handy caliber once you find one, so that you don't have to be buying bullets all the time. I think 5mm (initially) and 7.62 (later) are the most common ones.

- All Tunnelers (Molerats?) ganged up and killed me twice, like I was told they would by NPC's. Reloaded, realized I can just trap them in narrow areas, where they line up. Killed 5 of them while using two stimpacks while they moved one by one, in orderly fashion, towards me like they were on a assembly line. :lol:

Discover the power of bear traps, and the power of flares!

- Fishing? Is that a thing? Guy at tunnel has a 1000 credit fishing rod. Do we need special stats for this to work, should I bother with it? Is it similar to FATE/Torchlight fishing?

There are a couple of fishing-related quests later. But you can just ignore it, if it's not your thing. Characters who are heavily invested in crafting might need it, but you don't. DEX makes fishing easier.

- Need to buy a melee weapon. Forgot. Could've been useful in close range and saved up some ammo.

On the topic of melee combined with guns, SMGs (and secondarily pistols) are for close-combat and the natural choice when investing in guns. But since you are already investing in melee, well...

- Most of the times, enemies spot you first unless you move one square a time always checking what's right on the edge of the screen, which is lame. All enemies (so far) seem to have a long sight range and initiate combat the moment you are visible from far away.

I haven't played without stealth much, but generally speaking non-stealth is for characters who can take 1 turn (at least) of defense. (The simplest non-stealth character to play is Assault Rifles -that needs STR- with Metal Armor -that needs STR too- and high CON. Then you can usually march blindly on.) What's you Constitution? Anyway, pay attention to your armor, later get an electric shield and strategically employ bear traps to your heart's content.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
All Tunnelers (Molerats?) ganged up and killed me twice

Weapon has levels of loudness, some is silent, some is loud, that's why they all "visited" you.

Yeah, but I'm guessing melee will work better with them for me. It should be silent.. right?

Fishing? Is that a thing? Guy at tunnel has a 1000 credit fishing rod. Do we need special stats for this to work, should I bother with it? Is it similar to FATE/Torchlight fishing?

It is needed for drugs craft. Which help a LOT in combat. Some drugs you can buy - adrenaline, morphine, but not all.

Alright, not gonna bother with it then. Thanks.

.44 are a bit rare, so you might also want to keep a gun with more a handy caliber once you find one, so that you don't have to be buying bullets all the time. I think 5mm (initially) and 7.62 (later) are the most common ones.

Good idea. I was offered 5mm crappy pistol by default by the armory guy, so I'm guessing I'll invest in one of them.

Discover the power of bear traps, and the power of flares!

There are a couple of fishing-related quests later. But you can just ignore it, if it's not your thing. Characters who are heavily invested in crafting might need it, but you don't. DEX makes fishing easier.

I actually do have a few traps (I do remember flare recommendation from NPC) which are supposed to trap enemies for a few rounds (I think nets). Going to go through items again. The small icons in this game are just awful. Most of the time you have to stop and stare, mouse over icons over and over again to see WTF they are for. This is why I complained before about zoom levels too. Everything in this game is just so tiny, even the UI.

Going to ignore fishing. Not touching crafting with any pole, at all.

On the topic of melee combined with guns, SMGs (and secondarily pistols) are for close-combat and the natural choice when investing in guns. But since you are already investing in melee, well...

Wait, pistols are for close ranged combat? I assumed I was getting low accuracy in long range cause of low skill level. Are you telling me pistols are melee replacement for ranged builds? :?

It makes more sense to go melee + ranged. But if ranged acts are melee in this game.. :decline:

I haven't played without stealth much, but generally speaking non-stealth is for characters who can take 1 turn (at least) of defense. (The simplest non-stealth character to play is Assault Rifles -that needs STR- with Metal Armor -that needs STR too- and high CON. Then you can usually march blindly on.) What's you Constitution? Anyway, pay attention to your armor, later get an electric shield and strategically employ bear traps to your heart's content.

I have 6 CON and using default armor I got at start so far. I definitely intend to focus on defense so not ignoring that. Though I was hoping that high perception (6 for me right now) increased view range and removed more fog of war.. which apparently isn't the case? Not sure.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Stealth is the easiest skill to boost with various items - you don't need to max it.
Depends on how you use it. My Crossbow Stealth Trapper guy would stealth close to enemies, place quick traps in their paths and run away. Maxing it was required to get close enough and escape before being noticed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Played it for an hour. Few things:

- Got a .44 by persuading the armory guy.

- Finally reached level 2 in the tunnels where I restarted the generator.

- All Tunnelers (Molerats?) ganged up and killed me twice, like I was told they would by NPC's. Reloaded, realized I can just trap them in narrow areas, where they line up. Killed 5 of them while using two stimpacks while they moved one by one, in orderly fashion, towards me like they were on a assembly line. :lol:

- Exploring a room revealed secret tunnel entrance thanks to high perception. So yay!

- Bullets run out fast. After restarting the generator, am going back to the base to buy more .44 ammo and sell hides and stuff I don't want.

- Fishing? Is that a thing? Guy at tunnel has a 1000 credit fishing rod. Do we need special stats for this to work, should I bother with it? Is it similar to FATE/Torchlight fishing?

- Set the game resolution down to 1600x900.. MUCH better. Finally things are popping up and you can actually notice the details on characters. Before they all looked like tiny cutouts. This game seriously needs proper zoom levels.

- Need to buy a melee weapon. Forgot. Could've been useful in close range and saved up some ammo.

- Most of the times, enemies spot you first unless you move one square a time always checking what's right on the edge of the screen, which is lame. All enemies (so far) seem to have a long sight range and initiate combat the moment you are visible from far away.

Also, I guess I am not hating the combat. Maybe the fact that I haven't touched a TB game for years has something to do with it. :oops:
Don't forget to install cheatengine to speed up the game. It is fucking huge and there is a lot of walking.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seconding the cheatengine thing. Made the game much more fun.
Also, you can disable between-area autosaves to quick up the movement between areas.

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm not gonna risk ruining my saves with cheat engine. I can live with current walking speed. :shittydog:

The speedhack doesn't touch your saves, you'd have to be editing values for any risk.

Try it out, especially later on it's a life saver.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Later on the game world will grow considerably, and you'll also get some stuff that make you run from one end to the other a couple times. Believe us, just use it. Never heard of a single dude who got fucked in this game with CE.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Walking speed was fine for me, but I guess it couldn't hurt to get CE. Also,
If you see enemies, and they haven't spotted you yet, you want to initiate combat by pressing enter out of range, using your movement points to get in range, and then fucking them up. This is probably self-explanatory, but I didn't figure it out till later.
Wait, pistols are for close ranged combat? I assumed I was getting low accuracy in long-range cause of low skill level. Are you telling me pistols are melee replacement for ranged builds? :?

It makes more sense to go melee + ranged. But if ranged acts are melee in this game.. :decline:
It's not quite like that. Pistols can work from long range too, but they're often used as a close-range weapon for sniper rifles. SMG's and Assault Rifles to a lesser extent can be used at close range, so there is nothing about a pistol that makes it a weapon that can only be used short-range. The problem with melee + ranged builds is that it's difficult to balance out the stat and skill requirements you need, while also being tanky enough to not get instantly merced. Guns require either perception or dex to be maxed while melee weapons require strength or dex to be maxed. You could maybe do some sort of a brawler-smg hybrid, though you'd have to balance it out. It's not impossible, but the game requires careful planning and execution.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
How does that CE works exactly? Wouldn't increased speed screw up with stealthy playstyle if it cannot be turned off ingame?

Trashos

Arcane
Eh, the character walks very fast later with tabi boots & a certain armor from a quest. Cheat engine is optional and by no means necessary.

I am also unsure if the cheat engine (which I haven't used) messes some time-sensitive quests (eg, Gas the Drones).

perception (6 for me right now)

Not sure about the FOW thing, but 6 Perception is low for Guns users. Usually it's recommended to have 8+ for pistols/SMGs and as high as possible snipers. Perception affects both your accuracy and damage done (since it directly affects your effective Guns skill). You are going to be receiving 1 base ability point every 4 levels, so PE is certainly a candidate for investing those points.

CON 6 is not bad.

The small icons in this game are just awful.

Agreed. You get used to them eventually, but in the beginning it is painful to go through the merchant item lists.

Guns require either perception or dex to be maxed while melee weapons require strength or dex to be maxed. You could maybe do some sort of a brawler-smg hybrid, though you'd have to balance it out. It's not impossible, but the game requires careful planning and execution.

Might be possible, but is there really any point in using both SMGs and melee? They are both strong in close range only.

Trashos

Arcane

Unarmed combat in this game is very powerful and fun even on its own, but of course you have to choose the right feats for it. So it is not decline, it is just a different type of gameplay.

Parabalus

Arcane
How does that CE works exactly? Wouldn't increased speed screw up with stealthy playstyle if it cannot be turned off ingame?

You can bind hotkeys to control it ingame, e.g. 1x (normal) 2x (comfortable for everything) 10x (fast walking), then swap on the fly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Edit/Settings/Hotkeys/speedhack # then you chose the key and the speed acceleration (1-normal 2-double etc). The speedhack accelerates the games speed not only the moveing one,everything moves faster. It is great for games like Underrail and Kingmaker. Playing at X3 speed helps a lot.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
If I were to give this game another try tonight, what would be a good build to make in it? Last time I tried a crossbow based build but that stopped working around the time that every other enemy was a robot (or am I just missing something that'll make this kind of build work?).
light-armor stealth hammer intimidating shout :kingcomrade:

ortucis

Prophet
Level 3, have explored most of the caves. The walking speed doesn't bother me. In Arcanum you have to travel huge cities/areas the moment the game starts, never bothered me. Plus I don't cheat, even if it's a speed hack. If the game is designed that way, I'll play it that way.. then complain about it. :obviously:

Anyway, the UI is still PITA. The icons are designed for ants, so every time I barter (spent like 15 mins just doing nothing but running around bartering) I have to slowly mouse over icons and then when you DO find the shit you want to sell, the people buying them don't need them. Hell, some items have a cross on them and you can't even fucking tell cause the icon blends in with the faded red cross on it.

Why don't the people herding Molerats want to buy hides and meat? Fuck if I know. What's the point of creating so many traders when they don't buy shit they should be buying? I have to run around all of the levels just to sell 2-3 items to some random person who is looking for those items. Everything else I am carrying is useless apparently.
Was bartering intentionally designed to be as shit as possible? Mission accomplished. :decline:

Other than that, went around nading people to death and melee skills helped. Found a knife on a guy I killed at a outpost, ended up mixing ranged with melee. Now I found a crossbow (and got SMG for gold watch) and have shitton of darts in inventory already so replacing knife with that. I think I'm going to just keep the melee at 15 for now and increase it further, a bit later. It works well as a backup when no ammo is left, as expected, so it isn't useless for me.

I will definitely need to increase my AP's. They're painfully low.

EDIT: Why the hell does this game start in a small window without any main UI visible, when launched from Steam? I have to alt+tab over and over again for it to go fullscreen.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The point of bartering being designed the way it is is that you don't end up hoarding huge amounts of money from looting every container in the game. It's the best way I've seen this problem solved in an RPG.

Jinn

Arcane
The point of bartering being designed the way it is is that you don't end up hoarding huge amounts of money from looting every container in the game. It's the best way I've seen this problem solved in an RPG.

Exactly. This causes you to re-evaluate what you're carrying with you all the time, what's worth bringing back to your storage container (wherever that might be), or selling what you can and ditching the rest. It almost avoids that age-old terrible CRPG problem where you end up hording and having way too much money far too early in the game. "Almost" because you still end up filthy rich fairly early on if you're smart about managing your inventory. Either way, it ends up being a very fulfilling economy at the end of the day. It seems you always stumble on something you want to spring the big bucks for, leaving you wondering what the best course of action will be.

Makes me really excited to see how the Expedition expansion handles the economy as a whole. I'm sure it's been fully considered.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Why don't the people herding Molerats want to buy hides and meat? Fuck if I know. What's the point of creating so many traders when they don't buy shit they should be buying? I have to run around all of the levels just to sell 2-3 items to some random person who is looking for those items. Everything else I am carrying is useless apparently.
Was bartering intentionally designed to be as shit as possible? Mission accomplished. :decline:

Shut up Al Fabet

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do we know if Expedition is going to be integrated in the main story game or if it's going to be an appendix at the end? I would like to continue with my campaign but don't want to miss on content.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
It makes more sense to go melee + ranged.
The problem with mixing firearms and melee is they have different stat requirements (as mentioned in the thread) and separate feat trees - and max skill + appropriate feats for your main weapon (so not just firearms, but also pistol vs. smg vs. assault rifle vs. sniper, not just melee but fists vs. knife vs. hammer) is a must to be really effective in combat.

If you put half as much skill points into your backup weapon skill (other than throwing), it won't be half as effective as your main without accompanying feats, not by a long shot - and sacrificing main skill feats to have a half-as-effective backup weapon using a different skill for situations you can handle with your main skill is... possibly not the best long-term choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom