Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
CqecxVO.jpg

Elex

Arbiter
so this mean larian is secretly working in Not baldur’s gate 3/ VTT D&D5e

Terra

Cipher
If Larian aren't doing a Kickstarter for their next game can we at least have a kickstarter to fund an ongoing series of Swen skits?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'm playing DOS2 on Popamole 4 and it's a nice cRPG.

I personally enjoy the combat far more than DOS1. Armor system > RNG status effects.

Overall dialog and voice acting is also much better.

Andhaira

Arcane
Oooh cool - official The Dark Eye module for Divinity: Original Sin 2. Too bad it's multiplayer-centric.

Damn, I never knew Swen worked on the Lady, Mage & Knight; it was supposed to be the sequel/sequel series to Realms of Arkania and possibly the start of a new trilogy.

Can someone ask him more about it in any interview or however you guys communicate to him? Whatever happened to it and why did it get cancelled.

Also screw BGIII, tell these fuckers to work on a The Dark Eye 5e rpg in the vein of Realms of Arkania, with turnbased combat and full party generation. They can even use the Divinity Engine, though having first person exploration + 3rd person combat like RoA would be great.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Damn, I never knew Swen worked on the Lady, Mage & Knight; it was supposed to be the sequel/sequel series to Realms of Arkania and possibly the start of a new trilogy.

Can someone ask him more about it in any interview or however you guys communicate to him? Whatever happened to it and why did it get cancelled.

If you have Divinity 2 (not D:OS 2) on Steam or GOG there's a PDF called Developer's Journal, it has quite a detailed history about it.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I'm playing DOS2 on Popamole 4 and it's a nice cRPG.

I personally enjoy the combat far more than DOS1. Armor system > RNG status effects.

Overall dialog and voice acting is also much better.

it plays really smoothly on PS4 and the fully voiced dialogue IS an improvement.

also they removed the cheese vendor's barks :smug:

Terra

Cipher
DOS1 Cheese vendor's original voice actor was perfect, it was disappointing that they changed it but there's probably a mod to restore it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wtf, even I know what happened here.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
edit: okay English announcement: https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/1709575532580207570

The Official The Dark Eye GM campaign for Divinity: Original Sin 2’s Game Master Mode, Prison of Shadows, is now available for FREE.

fecf4b2101e419d5b81e0d0ba73b6f0f819a5779.png

Larian Studios has joined forces with Ulisses Spiele, creators of the hugely successful The Dark Eye tabletop RPG, to bring Divinity players into a new world of magic and mystery. Written and designed by Ulisses, with cooperation from Larian developers, the "Prison of Shadows" Game Master campaign is a brand new adventure suitable for The Dark Eye newcomers and veterans alike, designed for a Game Master and 2-4 players.

*Context*
The year is 1040 after the Fall of Bosparan (1040 FB). After the desperate battle to save the Middenrealm city of Perricum from the Demon Master Borborad, a mysterious ship is washed ashore the Sea of Pearls, corrupting the air and the surrounding waters. The ensuing revelation will send players on a quest to visit a dark, forgotten dungeon at the heart of the mountains...

*How to get this campaign:*
- The campaign is automatically added to the GM Campaigns folder located in \Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition. It will be present in two versions: English and German.
- The accompanying module guide, available here[www.drivethrurpg.com], contains all the information you need to play. Note that it should only be consulted by your Game Master since it unveils the full story - and therefore contains spoilers!
- If you wish to play by the official TDE rules, you can use the free TDE Quick-start Rules here[www.drivethrurpg.com].

*How to play it:*
- Start Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition. Prison of Shadows is already present in your list of available campaigns.
- If you’re the GM: from the Game Master menu, you can choose to Prepare the campaign if you want to get acquainted with it, or choose to Play it if you’re ready for other players to join you. Once the lobby has been created, use the Connectivity Menu to set filters on who can join your game, or get a Direct Connection address.
- If you’re a player: press Play and wait until the Prison of Shadows game from your GM appears in the server browser. Use the Filter Options to refine the search, or use the Direct Connect option to connect to your GM’s game directly.
- You can find a short introductory video to Game Master Mode here.

Also livestream is live too:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Nice graphics, you say

DOS_0051.jpg

So let me get this straight, what other indie isometric crpg had better graphics in 2014? Context idiots, context...

Casuals dont compare indie isometric crpgs to other indie isometric crpgs. They look at a game and think it looks great or shit relative to all the other AAA shit they could be playing. Hint: context doesnt mean you take any selection of facts that you feel like wiping your ass with

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
You can download the TDE campaign PDF without using Drivethru here: https://www.ulisses-us.com/larian-studios-the-dark-eye-campaign/

Or more directly: https://www.ulisses-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TDE-Divinity2-PrisonofShadows-innen-v5.pdf

I skimmed through introduction of the PDF and watched some of the stream, looks like the TDE module is a very bare-bone thing. No TDE rules implemented. Just some character models and levels likely rehashed those from the base D:OS 2.

Furthermore, GMs may resolve combat encounters using either Divinity’s built-in mechanics or GMM’s custom dice-rolling tool that emulates the rules of The Dark Eye. If using the latter, however, the GM must manually remove the icons of defeated enemies from the battlefield.

GMM also allows for simple attribute checks in place of skill checks, if desired. All checks in this adventure refer to Introduction 5 Prison of Shadows the attributes and skills of characters made for TDE, but of course players are free to use the corresponding attributes of characters provided with Divinity. We leave this choice to your gaming group.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
How the fuck do you guys manage to play through DOS1&2? I can forgive Larian's goofy writing, but the goddamn humor (or what passes for it in their games) is just so overbearing, to the point of parody. It's like they all sat down and decided the best way to get you to like their quirky setting is to bludgeon you over the head with it constantly. Lisping mudcrabs, pontificating fishwives, grating chesse vendors, a bunch of ADHD dogs... the list goes on and fucking on.

Like fuck me, not everything needs to be t3h grimd4rk, but their games are completely void of contextually appropriate atmosphere.

The most glaring example I can think of is Fort Joy: you're essentially in Larian's version of Spellhold, and not a single god damned thing in that entire act manages to convey a sense of dread. Sure there's the odd corpse or two, but even then some quirky ghost or faggoty minstrel swoops in with a witty comment that dispels any immersion you might've built up. Now contrast that with the ominous droning inside Spellhold that perfectly sets the tone, or David Warner's masterful delivery as he rips the soul from your Bhaalspawn.

God damn it, I guess I'm just too old to have fun anymore.

Arnust

Savant
I'm not sure how have you managed to miss the Magister war crimes that are all over the place and their consequences, like the torture halls or Shriekers, or all the tortured spirits that can't possibly fathom that they're dead, or literally every instance of Voidwoken being allured by Source and killing absolutely everyone in the way for then to have Magisters fuck over the survivors or join the body count. I don't think that Mordus' hellspawn breeding grounds cave had ONE joke. It's even more flagrant with the Villain tag as you can get even more grim dialogue options if you so want, but sure, if you've managed to skim all over that, then yes I can kind of see that.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arnust says it right.
I actually didn't notice a lot of "goofy humor" in Fort Joy. Sure there was, it's Larian after all, but was not really prominent.
Also a torturer in a dungeon with flesh golems should feel slightly dreadful for example.
So TL;DR SlumLord I don't think you played DOS2 for more than a couple of hours

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Those Lariant games always seemed like parody games to me, from the very first Divinity onwards.
I really didn't expect anything else at this point.
Like the only things I really remember from the first game is "Shrimpo".. And the gay elf with the senile wizard at the beginning.
That's the only things that left any impression on me in their games, that's what I've come to expect if I play any of their future games. Not a fan of OS myself but probably for different reasons.

Incendax

Augur
DOS1 has jokes for miles, but DOS2 is pretty damn serious outside of Petpal. The difference is like night and day.

Petpal is probably the biggest tone shift in both games.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
I'm not sure how have you managed to miss the Magister war crimes that are all over the place and their consequences, like the torture halls or Shriekers, or all the tortured spirits that can't possibly fathom that they're dead, or literally every instance of Voidwoken being allured by Source and killing absolutely everyone in the way for then to have Magisters fuck over the survivors or join the body count. I don't think that Mordus' hellspawn breeding grounds cave had ONE joke. It's even more flagrant with the Villain tag as you can get even more grim dialogue options if you so want, but sure, if you've managed to skim all over that, then yes I can kind of see that.

But that's exactly what I'm talking about - you have serious shit like that which should've been handled in somber tones. Instead they fuck it up with goofy voice acting and a color palette that looks like a Bob Ross painting. And then there's the 'humor'... It absolutely kills the atmosphere. Not everything has to be a written joke to fall into 'humor' - one example are those talking heads mounted on spikes in the marshland outside the fort itself. They're spiked in a circle around a trapped chest, and all of them keep wailing 'DONT OPEN DA CHEST! OPEN DA CHEST!' in their own individual version of autistic screeching. That fucking scene straight up killed my immersion. Disembodied heads shouldn't be played for laughs - unless it's something like a shit-talking 'mimir' from PS:T. The difference being that Morte is an example of a comedic sidekick, while Larian's severed heads are examples of body horror and nightmare fuel (at least the concept presents them as such... right before the execution itself craps all over it by trivializing the whole situation). And it just goes on and on.

I don't want to shit on the game too much because I wouldn't call it 'bad', but it's just all over the place, thematically. Though I gotta mention the tutorial ship - that area was done well. The murder mistery; Fane's lamentations; the other companions trading verbal jabs with each other and the player, etc. Not showstopper stuff, but competent. It struck a good balance of humor, writing, area design, and most important the themes associated with imprisonment and loss of freedom.

And then you get to Fort Joy, and it just goes to shit (visually and narratively).

That game is such a waste of a good engine (and tolerable ruleset).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Casuals dont compare indie isometric crpgs to other indie isometric crpgs. They look at a game and think it looks great or shit relative to all the other AAA shit they could be playing. Hint: context doesnt mean you take any selection of facts that you feel like wiping your ass with

Dude, this game's competition was CRPGS, not farmville... DOS wasn't bought by the general public. So i don't get the "casual" comment. Context is everything...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom