Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

hell bovine

Arcane
No it does not. Druid is not a replacement for a Priest, but an addition to one. You have those spells on a priest.
As for summons, battles that last longer than 5 rounds are pretty rare. Still better than wasting feats on Precise Shot. Bow is like 1d8+3? With a bad attack bonus and one attack per round. I rather attack with 3d6 with save for half (evasion is rare ability on enemies). At least you get certain damage and in some situations you do 3d10.
And I never said Druid is a best summoner, I said that his summons can be used so the druid is more useful during lower levels until he can get to high level spells.

And Shapershiting is not bad lol. At mid levels you get access to big elementals that got natural reach, it lets you attack from safe areas. Stone Elementals gets Strength and attack bonuses, you can buff yourself with Greater Natural Weapon and Bull's Strength and it is a nice support to your melee dudes.

Or you shift into Air Elementals, get lots of Dex and super speed bonus. You can kite stuff alone on the map with Storm Call and Greater Storm call.
That you have have these spells on a priest doesn't make call lightning good. It's about the economy of spellcasting in a game where resting is limited due to time being a valuable resource, and where most battles are mobs. How many call lightnings can your druid even memorize at level 5? And once you've used them up, how is he going to contribute to combat? If my druid covers communal delay poison & resist energy instead, my cleric can memorize animate dead, which is superior to spontaneus summoning, even if you prop that one frog up with augment summoning. Meanwhile you can prop the damage on composite bows a bit by buffing strength, and that chapter two bow has very good stats. I have tested both variants in-game, and never bothered with call lightning again.

Also read what I wrote: shapeshifting wasn't bad when I've tried it, it was buggy, and the original question wasn't about a melee druid build anyway. And if by greater natural weapon you mean magic fang, that one was bugged too and did nothing. (no idea what the current stand on this with hotfixes is)

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
You also have that +4 Str from Dragon Disciple which helps. It's not like you're borked, BAB is just something important to consider in a build.

Yeah, the +4 STR helps. I'll keep BAB in mind. For some reason, it seems I get a second attack from the extra 1d6 on my Arcane *Something* Dueling Sword +3. And it is Force damage and also stacks sneak attack damage. :eek: I have to look at the combat log closer but he seems to be doing good damage so far.

Dragon disciple in that build is not the problem because he gives more attack bonus than he has levels. Bard gives too little. I would rather take ranger (freebooter) as it is full bab + bonus but you lose requirement for DD.
Personally I would do barbarian x/bard1/DD rest or something and be full melee. Or replace barbarian with pure fighter that specs in two handed weapons.

Yeah, I wasn't powergaming or anything, just picked Archaeologist as a roleplaying thing and branched out. Wasn't going for a min/max build but just something fun and half-decent.
Oh yeah that's a bug. That sword is supposed to do the extra 1d6 damage, but Sneak attack is triggering on extra dice added to attacks (except for elemental enchants on weapons). The Corrosive Gauntlets (?) that add 1d6 acid damage and Endless War do the same thing.
Paizotard fanboi: That's not a bug! It's a feature!!!!
It's ironic actually, the only people I've seen defend any bugs in this game were the Paizo designers :lol:
On one of the streams, they were telling Owlcat that they love the way Sneak Attack was implemented, referring to it triggering multiple times on multiple rays.
Otherwise, most discussions I see on Reddit are stupid meme shit, and on Steam it is mostly people bitching about the game being too hard (because they clearly didn't read the rules), or shrieking for/against Owlcat adding respec.
The Patch Notes thread is the only one on Steam that isn't pure :autism:
WAIT WAT.
so pathfinder is the correct way of use the sneak attack in patfhinder?

Deleted Member 16721

WAIT WAT.
so pathfinder is the correct way of use the sneak attack in patfhinder?

Please tell me it is, so I don't feel like I'm cheating with my Dueling Sword that rolls sneak attack twice.

Deleted Member 16721

You are cheating you horrible, horrible cheater.

I don't want to cheat though. :( But I spec'd my main with Dueling Sword and the sword is awesome so now I'm stuck between a bug and a hard place. :?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
You are cheating you horrible, horrible cheater.

I don't want to cheat though. :( But I spec'd my main with Dueling Sword and the sword is awesome so now I'm stuck between a bug and a hard place. :?
It's definitely unintended but you'll find an overall better dueling sword that doesn't have the extra 1d6 anyway eventually, so you won't be exploiting that bug forever.

Telemetry

Educated
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Saw a solo druid build a while ago in the main thread and wanted to experiment with it as my first solo run.

hooman

one levelup in INT first for a bit more skillpoints then rest in WIS

1 spell focus conj, improved ini, animal comp mastodon
2 ---
3 augment summoning
4 ---
5 natural spell
6 ---
7 dodge
8 ---
9 endurance
10 ---
11 superior summoning
12 ---
13 combat casting
14 ---
15 combat mobility
16 ---
17 weapon focus what u want
18 ---
19 improved critical
20 ---

have i planned this right? any retarded choices?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Saw a solo druid build a while ago in the main thread and wanted to experiment with it as my first solo run.

hooman

2 ---
3 augment summoning
4 ---
5 natural spell
6 ---
7 dodge
8 ---
9 endurance
10 ---
11 superior summoning
12 ---
13 combat casting
14 ---
15 combat mobility
16 ---
18 ---
19 improved critical
20 ---

Endurance why?
Superior summoning is not needed as it does not work well with spontaneous casting (it only works if you choose the options to summon 1dx summons and spontaneous always summons single summon)
Combat casting is not needed at high levels, your caster level + casting stat is higher than DC for casting spells without provoking AoO
Combat mobility why?
Weapon focus and improved critical why? For natural attack of your polymorph form? It is a waste.

Take Spell Pen and Greater Spell Pen. Take some more Spell Focus (for Sirocco for example so you make sure it disables enemies).
Even Toughness is more useful than these options. Also Skill Focus Perception, Trickery or Persuasion is needed. Preferably both Trickery and Persuasion.

Deleted Member 16721

Is it possible to build an elven 2 handed build with a curved blade?unfortunately curved blade doesnt work with slashing grace....

Jaethal or an elf character is automatically familiar with Elven weapons, saving you a proficiency feat with them. So yeah, why not? Elven Blades are nice, especially with Crit Focus, Specialization and so on. Just found a sweet one for Jaethal who's spec'd out in Elven Curve Blade in Chapter 4.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I would like to ask about your opinion about the importance of Combat Casting for a Magus build. I want to try a dex (+int/wis) Sword Saint Scimitar build, but between Slashing Grace, outflank, Dodge & Crane feats, weapon specialization, Imp. Crit and Shatter Defenses (for int to damage vs flat-footed... wonder if it gets multiplied on crits), he'll be pretty feat starved (even as human).

So I'm wondering if I can skip Combat Casting. That would allow me to pick specialization and shatter defenses (he'll not be scaring, but will strike enemies flat footed from Val/Jaethals intimidations) sooner and maybe even fit Piranha Strike or Greater Focus somewhere.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I would like to ask about your opinion about the importance of Combat Casting for a Magus build. I want to try a dex (+int/wis) Sword Saint Scimitar build, but between Slashing Grace, outflank, Dodge & Crane feats, weapon specialization, Imp. Crit and Shatter Defenses (for int to damage vs flat-footed... wonder if it gets multiplied on crits), he'll be pretty feat starved (even as human).

So I'm wondering if I can skip Combat Casting. That would allow me to pick specialization and shatter defenses (he'll not be scaring, but will strike enemies flat footed from Val/Jaethals intimidations) sooner and maybe even fit Piranha Strike or Greater Focus somewhere.
I don't think it is necessary. It helps at lower levels a fair bit, but your concentration checks will get high enough to compensate.

Elex

Arbiter

hooman

2 ---
3 augment summoning
4 ---
5 natural spell
6 ---
7 dodge
8 ---
9 endurance
10 ---
11 superior summoning
12 ---
13 combat casting
14 ---
15 combat mobility
16 ---
18 ---
19 improved critical
20 ---

int only give 0.5 skill points in p:k

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I don't think it is necessary. It helps at lower levels a fair bit, but your concentration checks will get high enough to compensate.

Hmm, I should have pretty high AC, so maybe some AoOs are not a huge problem. But there is also the issue of casts failed due to damage.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weapon focus and improved critical why? For natural attack of your polymorph form? It is a waste.
Since when is weapon focus a waste for the weapon you are going to use for pretty much the entire game?
At least for a melee druid, I mean.
Then again, was this supposed to be a melee druid?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Since when is weapon focus a waste for the weapon you are going to use for pretty much the entire game?
At least for a melee druid, I mean.
Then again, was this supposed to be a melee druid?
Considering he has 16 dex and 14 strength and no weapon finesse, it is probably not a melee druid. Also there is no such thing as Weapon Focus (natural weapons) but claw, bite, slam are all separate attacks. So you are taking a weapon focus in only part of your attacks. That is why it is not worth it. Also improved Crit for a 20(x2) attack is never worth it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also there is no such thing as Weapon Focus (natural weapons) but claw, bite, slam are all separate attacks. So you are taking a weapon focus in only part of your attacks. That is why it is not worth it.
Yeah, that really is suboptimal. I know in the PnP you have a larger selection of animals to turn into, so I assume you could pick one that has a majority of claw/bite.

Also improved Crit for a 20(x2) attack is never worth it.
Indeed.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
its better to use +1/2/3 etc weapons or ones that add dmg but they have lower + to hit as a paladin?
Depends which weapon exactly, and if you're looking at other stuff like crit range, but generally +1/2/3 because they overcome more types of DR the bigger the +bonus is.

Ent

Savant
Just finished the game for the first time last night with an Elf vivisectionist. The amount of potential AC that class can get without much optimizing is pretty dumb. The damage was alright as well - I stuck to rapiers due to the elven proficiency and the game had a few interesting uniques to choose from. Probably make a tiefling character once thats available - still kinda disappointed that the new class ended up being kineticist they could've added something like the investigator or slayer if they wanted to avoid adding in more spells.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom