Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

deuxhero

Arcane
Having a non-magic class in a world where magic is real, proven and can be deliberately obtained by anyone who works for it with no drawbacks (Which is virtually all D&D settings. Dark Sun being the main exception) is essentially the same as having a Luddite class in a sci-fi game.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Having a non-magic class in a world where magic is real, proven and can be deliberately obtained by anyone who works for it with no drawbacks (Which is virtually all D&D settings. Dark Sun being the main exception) is essentially the same as having a Luddite class in a sci-fi game.
So why are you singling out 5e for that and defending 3.PF, which is exactly the same in this regard? Actually it's worse, because most martial classes can get magic without even multiclassing in 5e.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I'm not. I'm taking disagreement with most classes having magic being "part of the decline".
My mistake.
I agree. As long as there is still room for an archetype that just swings a sword it's a non-issue.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's the most popular ruleset, leaving Pathfinder and 3.5 in the dust.
tumblr_inline_pa88rj697A1vq0pt5_500.png

I'm not sure how relevant are those numbers and if you can even draw any conclusion other than devs like 5E.

The interesting data would be how much time those players spend in total playing every category and even then, you would have to rapport it to the number of games involved in each category.

It's not like the market were overflowed and you really would have to pick which games to play, it's actually the opposite, the offer is so scarce people replay the good old clasics over and over again.

Reinhardt

Arcane
And is the combat of those games remembered for anything other than wizard duels?
What is this "wizard duels" thing people keep talking about? It's when Keldorn uses dispel magic and you gang rape enemy wizard with your melee party?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And is the combat of those games remembered for anything other than wizard duels?
Around these parts, people like having one or two high maintenance characters and a bunch of low maintenance characters as support.

Mortmal

Arcane
Safav Hamon as best news jew of the year. As its definitively good news, its even redeeming all his POE shilling .I have a very good feeling from this as they are professionals who already worked on endless space. That means turn based and gorgeous, art done by real french artists who went to art school.
But there's still one thing that worry me a lot, it is the partnership with the community... You can only make a good game when you have a clear vision and strong direction. Dont ask the community , dont listen to their usual bullshit, the most vocal ones will only try to force LGTB romances in.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Rulesets can be tweaked, that's not the biggest issue.

I'm more afraid of Micro$oft pumping the project with money and bloat.

I watched the presentation Tim gave where he talks about simplifying player-game interaction (among other things). Seems like he's trying to reinvent the wheel, instead of making a good game. Why the fuck is it so hard to get devs to understand that some things take precedence over others? You can dick around with fancy bells and whistles after you've made a fun and entertaining product that delivers a good amount of tactical combat and gripping narrative. There's a reason every other industry except gaming understands that iteration is best done in baby steps, and only after your company has a string of successful products behind it.

ON TOPIC: The new studio's website is, indeed, quite terrible. Looks like they're still shopping for a publisher.

ArchAngel

Arcane
D&D 5E being more popular should make you know from a glance that it is inferior. If the addlepated munchkins can get into it then it is too streamlined for antediluvian patricians.

If anything, this should encourage you to go to any store that sells 5E products and proceed to rip the pages out and eat them for the good of the realm.
Some of us started before 3e and we found 3e to have lots of problems. While it solved many of the problems of AD&D, it also introduced new ones. 5e is a nice mix of 3e and AD&D and even brings some good ideas from 4e.
Only TRUE 3e munchkins don't like 5e. But nobody cares because those got kicked out of all 3e groups anyways. All they got left is complaining on the internet.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's the most popular ruleset, leaving Pathfinder and 3.5 in the dust.
tumblr_inline_pa88rj697A1vq0pt5_500.png

I'm not sure how relevant are those numbers and if you can even draw any conclusion other than devs like 5E.

The interesting data would be how much time those players spend in total playing every category and even then, you would have to rapport it to the number of games involved in each category.

It's not like the market were overflowed and you really would have to pick which games to play, it's actually the opposite, the offer is so scarce people replay the good old clasics over and over again.
What are you talking about?! Do even know what Roll20 is?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
D&D 5e has been a #1 best seller since it launched. On Amazon’s list of game books, the three core books are in the top three positions and 5e holds 5 of the top 10 spots. The other books are Pokémon and Fallout 76 player guides...there’s not another RPG close to touching 5e at the moment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/4441/ref=zg_b_bs_4441_1

According to Mike Mearls, in book units sold, 5e has sold more units than 3.0, 3.5 and 4th, individually (and that was in 2016, so imagine how many more units it has sold since then).

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/764241988128419840?lang=en

Anyone who tells you 5e isn’t popular is lying. That popularity is based on 5e being a solid system. Word of mouth is a thing, after all...look at what happened with 4e.

mondblut

Arcane
D&D 5e has been a #1 best seller since it launched. On Amazon’s list of game books, the three core books are in the top three positions and 5e holds 5 of the top 10 spots.

Since their new policy is "don't print any other books than core rules", people are probably buying core rules over and over again. Old habits of buying a bunch of new AD&D books every month are hard to kick away.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
5th edition might be good or might be shit. I wouldn't know. I don't think I ever played it in any form, never even read a single handbook. However it would certainly be interesting to see a 5th edition based proper CRPG exactly becasue it hasn't been done. Even if it turns out to be a mistake - it will be an interesting mistake. And if it turns good, that's great.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
5th edition might be good or might be shit. I wouldn't know. I don't think I ever played it in any form, never even read a single handbook. However it would certainly be interesting to see a 5th edition based proper CRPG exactly becasue it hasn't been done. Even if it turns out to be a mistake - it will be an interesting mistake. And if it turns good, that's great.
Wait what about Sword Coast Legends?
:troll:

Sinatar

Arbiter
Wait what about Sword Coast Legends?
:troll:

That didn't use any D&D rule set, it used it's own custom diarrhea.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why are they even namedropping FiraXCOM? Are they adding the beyond retarded "podsystem" or using the gamedestroying 2 "AP" system? If they just wanted a turn-based game to mention surely D:OS is a better one when you're making a turn-based RPG?

Pretty much everyone uses magic in 5E though. The archetypes which don't are in the extreme minority. 5E is an excellent rule set regardless of all of the edges being bared in this thread. The only real issue I see is properly instituting reactions, which are a crucial part of gameplay. Turn-based will be able to handle that far better. Given the mention of XCOM, it's likely they'll go with that. Turn-based are also much easier to design mechanically. That they mention XCOM worries me though. It makes me think we're actually going to get a highly simplistic, and mobile-worthy version of 5E, which would be awful. XCOM is great and all, but its depth of play is quite shallow by comparison.
X-COM is great, XCOM is not.

Andhaira

Arcane

Grade A moron statement right there. Magic use, even in games like D&D implies a character was either born with a special talent they then spent years developing or studied exclusively for years for, OR made a dark bargain with entities beyond the pale for. Its only in video games like Baldurs Gate where you can just click the multi class button on your Rogue and switch to Wizard with it not having to make sense, and even then you pay for it by not being able to cast while wearing armor thus nullifying your fighter abilities to melee by a HUGE margin (pretty much making you useless in the front lines until you are high enough a level as a mage to have Mage Armor stick around for hours, and by then your THACO or BaB is so low you will barely hit anything)

In plenty of RPGs non magic users, like warriors can beat the crap out of magic using PCs in a fight. Especially true in D&D and Pathfinder at the early levels (well ok unless the magic user has sleep or color spray, but then he better hope the fighter fails his Save)

deuxhero

Arcane
Player's Handbook said:
For a wizard, magic is not a talent but a difficult, rewarding art
Do you think fighters just pull how to swing a sword out of their ass?

Player's Handbook said:
Fighters come to their profession in many ways. Most have had formal training in a noble’s army or at least in the local militia. Some have trained in formal academies.

By RAW a Wizard takes 1 year to learn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom