Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which year has a better lineup of RPGs scheduled to release?

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm salty as fuck over insomnia: the ark

bad year

Machocruz

Arcane
The year I seemed to lose interest in vidya, at least playing. Only games that I could stand putting a considerable amount of time in were Cataclysm DDA and Underrail. Bought a lot of games I thought I wanted but after a couple hours had no real desire to pick up again. Maybe not coincidentally, Cata and Under were probably the two most complex and challenging games I played this year. Maybe it's not the games, but my habits. I should really focus on putting one game through its paces before I buy something else, Steam/GoG sales be damned.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think he has pretty strong competition, we can't just give it to him

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How was 2018 for you?
I got a new job that pays enough for me and my daughter, and somehow I still haven't lost interest in gaming :bounce:

Also, fun thing, I bought a 1080p monitor and finally realized this POS :bounce: is masturbating, which was barely visible on my old 900p, wtf.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The year I seemed to lose interest in vidya, at least playing. Only games that I could stand putting a considerable amount of time in were Cataclysm DDA and Underrail. Bought a lot of games I thought I wanted but after a couple hours had no real desire to pick up again. Maybe not coincidentally, Cata and Under were probably the two most complex and challenging games I played this year. Maybe it's not the games, but my habits. I should really focus on putting one game through its paces before I buy something else, Steam/GoG sales be damned.

It is called growing up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
2018 for me: death and other problems in the family. Death and problems in my SO's family. Financial hardships. I've been fined for traffic violation. Some minor health problems. So overall 2018 was a shit year for me. Hoping for a better 2019.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Should've called him an Albanian if you want to insult a Greek.

Call him a Macedonian if you want a Greek to never let you into their home or establishment until the end of days.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Oh, come on! There are more historical RPGs than Darklands and Kingdom Come. There are Expeditions: Conquistador and Viking for example. Konung games from what I hear are also based in early medieval Scandinavia. The Chinese and the Japanese have some historical RPGs.

Plus now that the Assassin's Creed games became RPG-lite you also have Origins and Odyssey.

True, they are not many. But still...
Like Legends of Eisenwald, Darklands strikes me as fantasy because of the magic and monsters. Grounded low fantasy, but fantasy nonetheless. Same deal with Konung. Historical fiction has the same rules as our reality, so throwing in some recognisable locations and/or historical figures is not all it takes to make an historical fiction RPG. Conquistador and Viking count because even though they technically have magic, it's cleverly implied to be entirely psychological, given substance by the target's own superstitious fears.

There's probably a couple of obscure historical fiction RPGs out there, but its still an incredibly rare subgenre in gaming. The Expeditions developers were my only hope until Kingdom Come galloped up in full battle armour.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
How was 2018 for you?
This summer was really hot, I didn't enjoy it at all. The year overall could be worse, I guess, we still have one month ahead of us. I anticipate at least one huge snowstorm that will cause a mess before the year ends.

Kinda reminds me of this:

<Kuiper> Well, it rained today, but as a whole it's been warmer than it was last week.
<kikuichimonji> Why does it seem like every time you join this channel, you end up talking about the weather?
<kikuichimonji> Is your life so unimaginably dull that you can't think of any events in your life to describe that might be more interesting than the weather?
<kikuichimonji> Let's think of something for you to talk about other than the weather.
<kikuichimonji> I mean, we barely even know anything about you, other than where you live.
<kikuichimonji> Let's start there. What do you do for a living?
<Kuiper> I'm a meteorologist.

EldarEldrad

Savant
This year I've finished Wizardry: Proving Ground of the Mad Overlord. Since now I hate ninjas. And vorpal bunnies. Oh, and now every time I go for a walk I stop every step to draw new square on my world map.

Frozen

Arcane
2018. was terrible
and its not over yet
all women around are still ugly as f
all new games were trash-elex, pathfinder...and cyberpunk looks like crap
GPUs are more expensive than ever
and its going to get worse

razvedchiki

Erudite
As far as RPGs go, Kingmaker made 2018 a smashing success.

I've just started chapter 4 and have yet to see even a single significant bug. The game has played out like a real-life Dungeons and Dragons campaign for me, something I hadn't felt since ToEE (which felt cold and distant at times). It's been so enjoyable, in fact, that I'm contemplating whether to place it in my overall #1 of all time, surpassing Fallout. Yes, you read that correctly.

Long loading screens? Phhaw, never had to wait more than 15 seconds even before the patch which made them even shorter.

Problems with kingdom management? You'd have to be a complete IDIOT not to ace this part of the game nearly effortlessly.

"Shitty RTwP"? Other than the occasional minor placement glitches, it's the best implementation of RTwP taking over for turn-based I've ever seen. Combat turns are being faithfully represented, just simultaneously.

Thank you, Owlcat.

what are your pc specks?you use nvme ssd?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
32GB DDR4-3200

Initial load times of the game after the big patch were cut in half, maybe to one-quarter of what they were at release.

Load times of save games actually take longer now, but are still only about 15-20 seconds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom