Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Baltika9

Arcane
Random, what is the ABV of that brandy?

90%. And I feel like this is a good time to remind y'all that Marcus does not possess the Drug Use skill.
That is some good shit. No wonder Marcus is sloshed already, we were chugging Everclear this whole time. :lol:

Isn't 90% closer to cleaning alcohol? Or did I just mixed the scales?
Everclear is 95% or 75%, so basically rubbing alcohol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Random, what is the ABV of that brandy?

90%. And I feel like this is a good time to remind y'all that Marcus does not possess the Drug Use skill.
That is some good shit. No wonder Marcus is sloshed already, we were chugging Everclear this whole time. :lol:

Isn't 90% closer to cleaning alcohol? Or did I just mixed the scales?
Everclear is 95% or 75%, so basically rubbing alcohol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

Well, no surprise Marcus is completely drunk at this point

Random

Arcane
Patron
Hot damn I have not been able to find a single second of free time to update since Thanksgiving. Going to attempt to do so tomorrow. Since A and D are tied by my reckoning, I will flip a coin to see which choice wins.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hot damn I have not been able to find a single second of free time to update since Thanksgiving. Going to attempt to do so tomorrow. Since A and D are tied by my reckoning, I will flip a coin to see which choice wins.
Actually, A is leading by 1 vote:

Grimgravy A
Baltika9 A
The Brazilian Slaughter A
oscar A
MoistCloister A
Kalin A

Total = 6

a bear named spigot D
Azira D
baud D
ERYFKRAD D
Dayyalu D

Total = 5

Oh boy, it has been so long since I've done a poll summary! :shittydog:

Kipeci

Arcane

Grimgravy A
Baltika9 A
oscar A
MoistCloister A
Kalin A

Total = 6

a bear named spigot D
Azira D
baud D
ERYFKRAD D
Dayyalu D

Total = 5

D

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Grimgravy A
Baltika9 A
oscar A
MoistCloister A
Kalin A

Total = 6

a bear named spigot D
Azira D
baud D
ERYFKRAD D
Dayyalu D

Total = 5

D
Good job men.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Coin landed on tails, which is D. Either way, we're moving on.

Changing Times Part VI

You realize you're mumbling something incoherent, stumble back into the wall, and slump down, the edges of your vision darkening. You're so dizzy you can't get back up.

The next thing you know, the searing agony of the sun's rays is boring into your skull even with your eyes shut, so you roll over and pull your sheets up around your head and just groan in wracked agony. You're so uncomfortable, somehow you're still wearing all your clothes which is the worst feeling in the world but you don't feel like you have the strength in your limbs to untangle yourself from the mass of fabric on you. It feels so awful that your scalp is threatening to split open and your aching brains climb out, flip the switch for the sink's garbage disposal, and throw themselves down into sweet blissful death.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. So you drag your ass out of bed and shut the blinds, buying yourself enough time to crawl into the kitchen and chug about a liter of water out of a jug in your fridge of purified water (because the tap stuff is disgusting). You also eat some week-old cold pizza, and already feel a little better. The sun is still your very antithesis, but as long as you continue to dwell in the sweet embrace of darkness, you think you can function well enough.

You check your PHS for calls, messages, and emails. You find nothing of note except a message from Tom, which you briefly glance at and scan, and the first thing you see is, "...my man, you are golden! We gotta get you back on those television sets, imagine the..." before you just trash the message and feel vaguely tempted to trash the phone entirely on top of that. But you bet he'd just find your number again regardless.

So it seems you have the day off. Though the prior night is hazy, you can murkily recall being at a bar, and... a nice, round butt wrapped tightly by sweet blue denim. Wait, but who's? This is gonna bother you all day. Whatever. Knowing your luck with women, you probably struck out anyways.

Since you're still on paid leave, you can spend the next week however you please. You really want to spend it relaxing and getting in some of that vacation you were deprived of, but you guess you could spend the majority of your time working out to build some muscle, even if it would be a bummer. You could call up your old drill sergeant and see if he'd be willing to be your coach for that. He was a grumpy old bastard, but he knew his stuff and could also probably give you some lessons on fieldcraft, general survival techniques, stuff like that, and hand-to-hand combat.

On the other hand, you've been slacking on your studies. ShinRa officers of the Public Safety Department are not required, but heavily recommended, to study monsterology. You did buy a three volume set of a common monster encyclopedia, and if you set aside some serious reading time you could probably read it all start to finish in the week. You could also mix it up with some general academics with an online course or two while you're at it. It's not a bad idea to sharpen your mind, since ShinRa officers can take special written exams, and if they pass with only one or no mistakes, they get a bonus to their paygrade and a commendation for it.

On the hypothetical mutant third arm's hand, screw that, you earned this vacation like ten times over by now. You're tired of being tired. You could feel so much better if you just slowed down for a while, caught up on sleep, cooked some real meals, did some fulfilling exercise, watched some TV, read some magazines, went to the park, drove around the city, played some games on your state-of-the-art 32-bit ShinRa Playsaucer (your academy graduation gift from your parents), and hit some bars in the Slums just to socialize with someone who isn't working for ShinRa for once. You would also like to maybe try to break your bad-luck streak with girls. Something like that.

What do you do?

A) Enjoy a hero's rest (+Pristine Condition, ++Charm, +Bluff, +Computer Use, ++Drug Use, +Athletics, ++Streetwise, +Observation, ++Cooking, +Driving, +Animal Handling)
B) There ain't no rest for the wicked (+Strength, ++Athletics, +Discipline, ++Fieldcraft, +Hand to Hand)
C) Money don't grow on trees (+Intelligence, ++ Monsterology, ++Academics, + Medicine, +Chemistry)
D) Any alternative way of spending the week (+ means it may improve, or at least tally up towards the next level)

Character Sheet
Name: Marcus "Steelwall" Westford
Class: Ranger
Level: 2
Profession: Major of the ShinRa Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division
Dominant Inner Nature: None
Health: [Pristine - Fine - Poor - Severe - Critical - Dead]

Characteristics:
Strength 4 Agility 8
Tenacity 6 Intelligence 7

Skills:
Discipline Lvl. 3
Marksmanship Lvl. 2, Athletics Lvl. 2, Bluff Lvl. 2
Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

Perks:
Tough Guy ("Love the suck." The penalty for all mundane negative status effects is reduced by 1)

Inventory: Civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Pocket Knife, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 14,670 Gil, Note from Janice, Tom's business card (blood-stained)
Gear:

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
a nice, round butt wrapped tightly by sweet blue denim.

Unf.

DISCIPLINE, THIS IS HOW THEY GET YOU.

I'm still somewhat intrigued by our bodyguard, I have a thing for domineering women that abuse poor protagonists. I fault System Shock 2 for that. But we do deserve some R&R.

A then C

Two extras: GET A GODDAMN CARRY LICENSE FOR SOMETHING BETTER THAN A FUCKING KNIFE and more info on our Guardian Angel.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Random, would we have passed out no matter what we did? :lol: I told you guys we should have had some beer.
There would have been a Drug Use roll to not pass out, fairly difficult but not impossible to pass thanks to good Tenacity and Tough Guy. Choice D just forewent the roll. FYI, it is totally acceptable to intentionally fail rolls if a failure is a more desirable outcome than success. You may find that failed rolls can be just as effective as successful rolls in terms of achieving what you want.

just as I had intuited, choice D was a way to unlock our latent talent (damn I just discovered a new palindrome) for instant transmission. now whenever we need to get somewhere quick we just drink a bottle of expensive brandy until we pass out and we will wake up at our desired destination.

Kipeci

Arcane
C

I’m a big fan of money, wouldn’t it be nice to afford that steak more regularly? We usually end up trying to use Marcus’s brain to figure a way out of our problems anyway, so I think boosting intelligence would be a good way to go. Skill in medicine doesn’t hurt, either.

Baltika9

Arcane
On the hypothetical mutant third arm's hand, screw that, you earned this vacation like ten times over by now. You're tired of being tired. You could feel so much better if you just slowed down for a while, caught up on sleep, cooked some real meals, did some fulfilling exercise, watched some TV, read some magazines, went to the park, drove around the city, played some games on your state-of-the-art 32-bit ShinRa Playsaucer (your academy graduation gift from your parents), and hit some bars in the Slums just to socialize with someone who isn't working for ShinRa for once. You would also like to maybe try to break your bad-luck streak with girls. Something like that.
Marcus has a point. A, let's be a mentally balanced person.

just as I had intuited, choice D was a way to unlock our latent talent (damn I just discovered a new palindrome) for instant transmission. now whenever we need to get somewhere quick we just drink a bottle of expensive brandy until we pass out and we will wake up at our desired destination.

Fucking sigged.

And B.

We had a spiritual rennaisance back there, people. Let's get STRONGER!!

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
B>A

B makes us a better soldier across the board. Marcus went on about that a while ago. A rounds us out pretty well. Hell, even C would be ok with me.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hold up. That chick mugged us.

Here's our wallet from last night:
Inventory: Civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Jupiter Energy Bar, Pocket Knife, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 19,670 Gil, Note from Janice, Tom's business card (blood-stained), half-empty bottle of Gysahl Brandy

Here's our wallet now:
Inventory: Civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Pocket Knife, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 14,670 Gil, Note from Janice, Tom's business card (blood-stained)

Unless this is a typo.

B

there's only one thing that has proven lethal so far, and that's taking a single story fall like a chump. we need the athletics required to jump a railing and land one, nay, three floors down with absolute aplomb and the discipline to shake off the pain and keep running away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom