Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Ever wonder what a Hobgoblin is?
Half-goblin humans.
Where is the "disgusting" button when you need one.

Nah, we know you'd hit that*:

151919.jpg

*I am aware it is a gremlin, not a goblin. Close enough, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Has anyone bothered to play the remake modules of the Baldur's Gate game done for NWN2? I've never actually seen anyone here talk about this and wanted to ask out of curiosity, since it seems like they actually did the entire fucking thing (which is crazy).

Cael

Arcane
What a pile of 90 skeleton warriors (with a few greater dopplegangers thrown in) look like:

Skelly-War.png

They call it a trap. I call it "my ticket to 1million XP".

Theldaran

Liturgist
I dunno about Faerun specifically, but the concept that orcs are indeed goblinoids might have (or might have not) originated in Warhammer. The greenskins and all that. I guess that the Faerun orcs don't even have green skin actually, while in Tolkien lore they're elves deformed by magic.

However the greenskin concept has proven very popular.

laclongquan

Arcane
Has anyone bothered to play the remake modules of the Baldur's Gate game done for NWN2? I've never actually seen anyone here talk about this and wanted to ask out of curiosity, since it seems like they actually did the entire fucking thing (which is crazy).

I do, but I am about the only one ever talk about it. IF and I mean a big IF, Lilura's being contrarian then possibly (s)he also play it.

Baldur Gate Reloaded is refreshing as it provide a real time with pause at very fast pace experience to BG1. I would recommend that module to anyone.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

I remember when this was announced and all I could post about it was what a giant waste of time it was. The guys who made it were obviously skilled in NWN2 modding but why remake BG in a shitier engine?

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I dunno about Faerun specifically, but the concept that orcs are indeed goblinoids might have (or might have not) originated in Warhammer. The greenskins and all that. I guess that the Faerun orcs don't even have green skin actually, while in Tolkien lore they're elves deformed by magic.

Orcs were never goblinoids in DnD. Different sub-types.

SwiftCrack

Arcane

I never got around to actually playing them and at this point I doubt I ever will.

It's funny because when NWN1 was released, I wanted to remake the entire game of BG1 myself as a dumb 12 year old.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Where you actually playing BG1 as a kid, with all those whores and thingies? At least I was an adolescent, it felt like it was aimed to me.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
IDK, seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction to the shock of playing the terribad OC in NWN1.

Good point, I never got far in the OC campaign. Sadly I was past the point of getting a refund ("it'll get better, i'm sure!"). Probably the game I got the least amount of playtime out of compared to what I paid for it (especially relatively speaking, that game cost me my entire birthday pot iirc)

Where you actually playing BG1 as a kid, with all those whores and thingies? At least I was an adolescent, it felt like it was aimed to me.

Yeah man, 11 year old me got BG1 (the six disc carton sleeve with 5 brown BG1 discs and 1 blue TOTSC disc, it had been out for a while though) and then 2 (the 4 disc greenish jewel case, and TOB on release).

I didn't really progress in the actual games until after the release of NWN1 (lol). The character creator + Candlekeep + everything low level till the Nashkel Mines (this is where I got stuck pretty much always) kept me occupied and entertained for months.

Think I got my first original story completion at 14 years old, and then Durlag's Tower had me stuck until I was like 18 or something (I completed BG2 before I ever completed DT).

Good times.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well, if you were like 13, all those sexual references didn't go to waste!

My Atari reissue box says ages 12+, though. Not going as far as depicting actual sex (like Mass Effect/Dragon Age)

Fairfax

Arcane

Orcs were never goblinoids in DnD. Different sub-types.
They were goblinoids before 3E.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I remember when this was announced and all I could post about it was what a giant waste of time it was. The guys who made it were obviously skilled in NWN2 modding but why remake BG in a shitier engine?

Easy to answer: you get a big download count and lots of recognition just from the name alone.

Fame, son. They wanted fame. So, they appealed to the scrubs.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
https://www.watchoutforfireballs.com/217

Guys at Watch Out for Fireballs released two parts of their podcast on BG2. Be prepared for some noob talk, but they are good guys. The've done Torment, Fallout, Deus Ex and many more classics so they're good people. If you want something to listen to while playing blobbers or whatever, this is it.

I'm so drunk I can barely see my keybord.

Cael

Arcane
https://www.watchoutforfireballs.com/217

Guys at Watch Out for Fireballs released two parts of their podcast on BG2. Be prepared for some noob talk, but they are good guys. The've done Torment, Fallout, Deus Ex and many more classics so they're good people. If you want something to listen to while playing blobbers or whatever, this is it.

I'm so drunk I can barely see my keybord.
Then you won't see the fireball heading your way. Eeeeeee-xcellent!

McPlusle

Savant
This may seem obvious but I've never tried dual-classing so I have to ask: if I start as a fighter then dual-class into a mage, will I get all the weapon proficiency points I got as a fighter back when my mage level exceeds my fighter level? Will the weapon points spent as a mage merge with the fighter's points or will the mage points disappear?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This may seem obvious but I've never tried dual-classing so I have to ask: if I start as a fighter then dual-class into a mage, will I get all the weapon proficiency points I got as a fighter back when my mage level exceeds my fighter level? Will the weapon points spent as a mage merge with the fighter's points or will the mage points disappear?

You may use all weapons any of your classes can use. Only dual-class Clerics (and maybe Druids, but I'm not sure) are always restricted in their weapons because they aren't allowed by their faith to use them. Otherwise, go nuts.

Cael

Arcane

You may use all weapons any of your classes can use. Only dual-class Clerics (and maybe Druids, but I'm not sure) are always restricted in their weapons because they aren't allowed by their faith to use them. Otherwise, go nuts.
Actually, you can get around this with Use Any Item, IIRC. However, the system does not allow you to put dots in non-cleric profficiencies unless you have modded the game, so you are at a disadvantage when using them, unless you have put dots in it in the non-cleric/druid side of the progression. So, if you want to be a cleric>thief, for example, you can use shortbows, longswords and the like again once you get UAI.

Cael

Arcane
Am I the only one that thinks that weapon restrictions have no sense on cleric and druids?
There are reasons behind the 1st and 2nd Ed weapon restrictions.

Clerics, for example, are restricted to blunt weapons because they are not supposed to shed blood. Of course, Gygax never got hit with a blunt object because not shedding blood with a blunt weapon? That's a myth.

Druids are restricted to weapons and armour that are made from natural things (which in DnD terms means non-metal). The scimitar and the sickle gets a free pass because druids harvest their components (esp. mistletoe and holly) using the sickle and the scimitar is considered a symbol of the moon.

3.x did away with the weapon restrictions and merely said you didn't start profficient in the weapon. Nothing preventing you from getting it later. Druids, however, were still restricted to non-metal armour.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If you're gonna have a class based system, restrictions makes sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom