Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian teasing game reveal at The Game Awards

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since it's unlikely for Microsoft to allow them to make isometric RPGs in the future, I hope this Cainyarsky project is isometric so it would be a perfect send off to their independent legacy.

Shilandra

Learned
People shouldn't be to worried about the shapes comments I think. They aren't that incompatible with traditional number interfaces and can work well with them. Radar charts aren't that bad for one example.
393_Faceting_and_Radarchart.png

jdinatale

Cipher
Everything we know.

• Fallout co-creators Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are leads in development.

• Obsidian were hiring for people experienced in shooters and Unreal Engine 4. The game sounds like a AAA FPS RPG to be made on consoles and PC to me.

• Published by Take Two, so quite possibly Obsidian's last multiplatform game. They have been bought by Microsoft for those who didn't know.

• They trademarked 'The Outer Worlds' and Sci-Fi was used to describe it.

• It is not Fallout or Arcanum related, but it "would appeal to those types of gamers."

• on Obsidian's website, there are two ads for fake companies that looks like they relate to the game. They give off a retro sci-fi feel to me, personally.

Not to be that guy, but those two images already have more flavour than the entire setting of the PoE franchise.
Setting the bar low.

I don't want to hate on PoE. I even liked the second more than I expected (and definitely more than the first), but the setting wasn't exactly their strong point.
If anything I always found vaguely perplexing that the whole "With crowdfunding we are now independent from publishers and can have complete creative freedom" turned into "Here's this messy, unimaginative and pretentious D&D derivative".

Diggfinger

Arcane
YES!!!
I believe in the Lord Our Savior and his son Jesus Christ...
this is a miracle...

Look at those fucking adds, 100% Boyarsky style!

'Outer World' add
jKCKdpNBRS8QDz9g7M698D-650-80.jpg

Older Boyarsky work
cr=w:800,h:500,a:cc

Plus, announcement is day after my birthday :happytrollboy: perfect timing:love:

Jigawatt

Arcane
People shouldn't be to worried about the shapes comments I think. They aren't that incompatible with traditional number interfaces and can work well with them. Radar charts aren't that bad for one example.

Radar charts are a horrific way to show any data because the most visually dominant part - the area of the polygon - conveys no meaning at all and usually just serves to mislead

edit: oh yeah, something something Obsidian game something very low expectations etc.

aratuk

Cipher
"Well, this isn't quite a big enough deal to be released on our main label alongside the likes of Bioshock and XCOM, so we're putting you with our Kerbal Space Program team."

—Oh, okay, cool. What all have they done?—

"I just said. Kerbal Space Program."

—Awesome. Well, it looks like I'm running late for a meeting in Redmond. Let's pick this up later. Could I have a tissue? Thanks.—

I've never seen a game fine tuned enough for it to mean anything. If they aren't substantially different in-game then it's a gimmick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom