Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Jason Liang

Arcane
From haniho ~

1533551294819.jpg

La Hawzel still the cute. Silky still flat.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
will RQM and IX get english release this year?

suddenly I can see what would dominate '18's Codex best RPG poll. (I don't mean it'll get high vote, but I mean there'll be a lot of alicesoft games to vote this year :M )

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Start with 6 if you want to go through them chronologically. Gameplay wise Sengoku (7) is much better, but it takes a while to learn.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Which Rance game is best for beginners

If you want a taste of the series first, go with Sengoku Rance. If you are committed to playing through the whole series in full (at least the ones translated to English) I'd start with Rance 02. Even the lighter games like 02 and 5D should be played since they introduce significant characters that are at the heart of the series.

Rance 02 is short and light, at least. And English translated. Depending on whether you use a walkthrough, it should take between 3-8 hours. It's a good chronologically early starting point to the series as long as you go into it aware that it's a primitive jrpg.

Rance 3 /03 is the first great adventure in the series. 03 isn't fully translated, but playing through with VNR machine translation isn't too bad. The original Rance 3 is playable and English translated but the remake is a better game. It's probably best to watch the Rance 1 OVA or play Rance 1 (or just read a summary of Rance 1) before playing 3 (but after 02), although it isn't absolutely necesssary.

Rance IV honestly I would wait for the remake.

Rance 5D is similar to 02 except instead of having a standard game system it has a bizzaro game system.

Rance VI is the second great adventure and arguably the greatest adventure overall. But it's better played after doing 02, 3/ 03 and 5D first. I wouldn't recommend it as the first game of the series you play.

Sengoku Rance is the hallmark of the series in gameplay and works as a standalone story, which makes it an ideal gateway to the series. That being said, it gives a skewed view of the series- those that have played only SR tend to be Sillfags while those who have played the rest of the series tend to be Shizukafags, or at least not Sillfags.

Kichikou Rance is also a masterpiece with gameplay similar to Sengoku Rance. In hindsight the best time to play this game is after having played 02/ 3/ 5D/ VI and SR first but it can be played anytime throughout the series before the final 3 games. It's somewhat of an encyclopedia to the gameworld since it fleshes out how the three major nations of the continent- Leazas, Zeth and Helman- as well as the two Demon factions are organized.

Rance Quest/ Magnum and Rance IX begin the finale of the series, are not fully translated into English yet, and should be played after all the previous games.

Rance X is the epic finale and should be played last and is an amazing experience.

Last edited:

M. AQVILA

Arcane
That being said, it gives a skewed view of the series- those that have played only SR tend to be Sillfags while those who have played the rest of the series tend to be Shizukafags, or at least not Sillfags.

Interesting. I've played all the translated games from 1 to 7 and, my favourite game of the series, Kichikuou Rance and I don't like either. I do prefer Sill over Shizuka however, as the latter is annoying.

My favourites are Senhime, Satella (in KR) and Feliss.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think you could start with 6 and 7, but I'd recommend the latter unless simple blobber gameplay is really appealing to you for whatever reason.
Kichikou Rance is also a masterpiece with gameplay similar to Sengoku Rance. In hindsight the best time to play this game is after having played 02/ 3/ 5D/ VI and SR first but it can be played anytime throughout the series before the final 3 games. It's somewhat of an encyclopedia to the gameworld since it fleshes out how the three major nations of the continent- Leazas, Zeth and Helman- as well as the two Demon factions are organized.
I tried to play kichikou, but the gameplay is a wholly inferior version of Sengoku, and I found the art style/quality primitive and offputting. I've heard lots of great stuff about the CnC and watnot, and I fully suspect the story is a blast once it gets going but... the gameplay should at least be passable.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Unfortunately Kichikou is never going to be remade so you just have to take it as it is.

I played Kichikou before VI which likely made VI more enjoyable for me.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Unfortunately Kichikou is never going to be remade so you just have to take it as it is.

I played Kichikou before VI which likely made VI more enjoyable for me.
Isn't there a mod to get Kichikou into Sengoku?
I'm waiting for the official Sengoku version engine that's probably is going to have the new resolution options.
Yes, it's WIP at this point though. On the bright side, it will possibly support multiplayer.

But it's just battles a la Sengoku Free for All mode, it doesn't have any of the actual plot.

lightbane

Arcane
If playing the original games is too hardcore for you, our gentleman and entitled poster here played them all* and the lps are available on his sig.

*Except Kichikou and Rance 4.5-6, sadly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom