Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dodo1610

Arcane
What's the chance that Deadfire win the best RPG and Obisidian gets to announce a new game at the same time? The melt down here will be glorious.

Zero Dragon Quest will win.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:timcain: : "If you're talking to an enthusiast, there are so many differences, and we feel it's under-selling the game to say it's Arcanum in space. But when we started talking to more consumer-oriented magazines, we'd have, like, two seconds...and we'd say, 'it's like retro-futuristic Arcanum in space.' And they're like, 'Awesome!' To Joe Public, it's mainly first-person, wide-open game and you get to do what you want. The game it's closest to is Arcanum. So now when someone asks, 'Is it Arcanum in space?' my main answer is, 'in all the best ways'."
It's a real quote ? Or you're fucking with my heart ?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-...with-guns-interview-screensh-26276268/?page=1

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
100% that it's an action RPG, let's hope it's a New Vegas quality game at least..

I guess this will only be available on Microsoft platforms? No playstation?

Big Wrangle

The deal was made before Microsoft bought Obsidian, so a multi-platform release is still doable.

Harold

Arcane
:timcain: : "If you're talking to an enthusiast, there are so many differences, and we feel it's under-selling the game to say it's Arcanum in space. But when we started talking to more consumer-oriented magazines, we'd have, like, two seconds...and we'd say, 'it's like retro-futuristic Arcanum in space.' And they're like, 'Awesome!' To Joe Public, it's mainly first-person, wide-open game and you get to do what you want. The game it's closest to is Arcanum. So now when someone asks, 'Is it Arcanum in space?' my main answer is, 'in all the best ways'."
It's a real quote ? Or you're fucking with my heart ?

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-...with-guns-interview-screensh-26276268/?page=1

I just found it to be a funny absurdist exercise, since if Tim were to say anything to that effect I'm p. sure game journos would actually be like: 'Arcanum? Who dat?'

Terenty

Liturgist
Its a pity the game is 3rd person, you need a huge budget to make a 3d game that looks good and animates good up close. Id rather they went isometric with cool art design

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Its a pity the game is 3rd person, you need a huge budget to make a 3d game that looks good and animates good up close. Id rather they went isometric with cool art design

???? It has a very big budget. The game is being published by a division of Take-Two Interactive (the company that makes Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead). Whatever problems The Outer Worlds may have, they won't be caused by a lack of money.

Also, we don't know if it will be third person or first person or both.

Lurk more.

The Real Fanboy
What's the chance that Deadfire win the best RPG and Obisidian gets to announce a new game at the same time? The melt down here will be glorious.

e7cmL9z.png

Terenty

Liturgist

???? It has a very big budget. The game is being published by a division of Take-Two Interactive (the company that makes Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead). Whatever problems The Outer Worlds may have, they won't be caused by a lack of money.

Also, we don't know if it will be third person or first person or both.

Lurk more.

I doubt it has a very big budget, Private Division specializes in smaller scale games not AAA, so id rather they made something isometric like, say, Pathfinder with tons of content and polish, than a 3rd/1st person with great graphics but a fraction of that content.

Flou

Arbiter
I doubt it has a very big budget, Private Division specializes in smaller scale games not AAA, so id rather they made something isometric like, say, Pathfinder with tons of content and polish, than a 3rd/1st person with great graphics but a fraction of that content.

You are wrong, dead wrong to be more exact. The game has been in development for 3? years now. After Armored Warfare was taken to Russia, most of Obsidian's staff has been working on this game. The budget will be quite bigger than Deadfire's budget.

Latelistener

Arcane
The deal is that Take Two owns the first game, but Obsidian retains the IP.
Who retains IP with Private Division projects?
With the exception of Kerbal Space Program, which we acquired earlier this year, our studio partners own the underlying IP, and we have long-term rights to develop sequels against these IPs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With the exception of Kerbal Space Program, which we acquired earlier this year, our studio partners own the underlying IP, and we have long-term rights to develop sequels against these IPs.

This means that the IP is effectively a "two-part key". You can only make a sequel if both Obsidian and Take-Two agree. However, it is possible that the fine print allows Obsidian to develop various types of spinoffs independently.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well, since anything Obsidian makes in future will be likely be published by MS, it seems like sequels aren't going to happen on those grounds. I guess maybe Microsoft would allow it if they're XBOX/W10 exclusive

Beastro

Arcane
Is it Arcanum in space?' my main answer is, 'in all the best ways'."

So it's gonna have magic vs tech with another lovely focus on necromancy before all other magic fields????

(And more Gnome conspiracies???????)

Fairfax

Arcane

This means that the IP is effectively a "two-part key". You can only make a sequel if both Obsidian and Take-Two agree. However, it is possible that the fine print allows Obsidian to develop various types of spinoffs independently.
All it says is that Take-Two have rights (though it doesn't say "exclusive") to make sequels for an unknown period. If they needed Obsidian's permission, Obsidian would have disproportionate leverage, which wouldn't make sense with Take-Two funding the project. However, it could have restrictions like needing Obsidian's approval in case Take-Two wants to give a sequel to one of Obsidian's closest competitors, similar to the Bungie-Activision contract.

Latelistener

Arcane
In any case, the point is Cainarsky can theoretically develop sequels / spin-offs outside of Obsidian if it comes to that.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
You think Tim Cain is going to quit his job, spend tens of millions forming his own AAA studio, and Take Two will hire his studio instead of Obsidian to make a sequel (even though Obsidian owns the IP)? Pure fantasy.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Obsidian will be developing games for Microsoft from now on, whether it will be Outer Worlds or something else. They won't be working with Take-Two anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom