Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Whiskeyjack

Learned
What's the seed? I'm having a bitch of a time finding a decent one.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Guten Tag spear-club is pretty bitchin'. Good damage, both +ThC attack and knockout attack on the same weapon. This'll become a mainstay of my arsenal, I think.
Also, my bros just got absolutely demolished by a trio of Alps. Those fuckers do not mess around. I wonder what the best strategy will be - since I had no idea what to expect, I just had everyone chase them down, which worked terribly. I'm thinking the best way might be to clump everyone together so as to be able to easily wake sleeping bros, but even so, those psychic blasts nightmares do some mean damage.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Damn I just got an awesome bro. Brawler - 60 melee with 3 stars, 2 stars and 100 fatigue, 1 star on 4 mdef, and huge trait.

Definitely will turn into a two-handed killer someday.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
A pack of 5 spiders didn't want anything to do with my 10 Bro company, equipped like bandit thugs, with only the three starting Bros at level two. Ran right past me.

They don't think they're tough themselves.

tindrli

Arcane
damn seems like my bros destroyed his armor. is there any particular way that works to save his armor? l

Last edited:

Whiskeyjack

Learned
A pack of 5 spiders didn't want anything to do with my 10 Bro company, equipped like bandit thugs, with only the three starting Bros at level two. Ran right past me.

They don't think they're tough themselves.
Yeah mine was a disappearing villager quest (1 skull and I have 7 bros). 5 spiders, but honestly I would like to see them in a more mixed company because as it stands their webbing is kind of... irrelevant since they stand beside the bro they webbed anyway. And their attack poisons, but that's like... 5 damage a turn? Maybe their are tougher versions, but they weren't any tougher than any of the other trash monsters so far.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh man all the ingredients. Gotta gather aaaaaaaaaall the shit

*Caravan contracts are much more fun now. First of all you don't spend food which is awesome, also you sometimes get payed per head of dead attacker and of course you get to know the days needed to travel. Much much better

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Zweihander light builds too.

Confess, you want this (especially for the garish colors):
a35f4cfaae4b44056f4c0129416e440d.jpg

Bidenhänder and Halberds are considered short weapons for close-in fighting (compared to pikes) and their users (paid double the amount of a regular pike-bro) wore full or three quarters armor and got deployed in the center of the formation (assuming the age of pikes, not before when halberds and bills were still the main armament of a square). They were sent out to storm trenches/earthworks, run down fleeing opponent, defend a broken formation in retreat or defend the center and such according to manuals relating to pike square warefare and formation. Maybe they also bled through the ranks of pikemen once the charge got stuck to help in melee, but I'm not too sure about that one.

In paintings/pictures by themselves you see them without armor often, but a number of battle depictions show them in whatever plate armor design was popular at the time and place. Front rank(s) of pikemen would also be armored up (more or less depending on the timeframe and such), less armored guys (who couldn't afford more armor or whom the guy in charge didn't armor up to save money and underbid rival companies) would be away from the front ranks as they couldn't possible survive initial charges/clashes. Due to the out-of-armor depictions a lot of modern Bidenhänder-related art also seems to depict the Landsknecht Greatswordsmen like this in battle, which is really nonsensical.

So "lightly armored Zweihänder" is really not a landsknecht thing unless money was ultra-tight. Bodyguards in cities and such might fit the bill (I'm not too sure if they wore breastplate + tassets at least or nothing) but not any merc from a decently funded company. How would he survive the close-in fighting he's there for? Sergeants and such would also be armored fully.

Three quarters armor with a burgonet with maybe a falling buffe (seperate piece of kit and museums and artists seem to either forget about them or show them separately a lot) should be the standard. The one below has nothing for the arms and shoulders but strictly speaking a veteran at least should have them. Arms can get hit so easily and shoulders/traps are a prime target for over-the-shoulder halberd or greatsword strikes or lance/sword strikes from cavalry.
The buffe (visor that falls outwards away from the face if opened. Has frontal neck protection as well. Attached separately from the front) is also missing.

The armor below looks more appropriate for a pikema in the second/third ranks or so, or maybe a gunner. A sergeant or other officers (plus maybe a regular veteran with enough money) would probably also have full leg protection in addition to the stuff mentioned above.
So maybe mismatched kit. But you get the idea.
8da638e20c83bd7e606aded7f2663d04.jpg

/autism

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Here's an officer's suit (keep in mind the looks/design will differ a lot depending on where it was made, the timeframe etc).
This is roughly what you could expect of a veteran Greatswordsman/Halberdier Doppelsöldner type as well, but maybe simpler.
You can see the super-common falling buffe in front of the burgonet (helmet) there, raised fully. It's floating off the traps/shoulders too much due to how they set up the mannequin (frequently the case... You can also find buffes not lining up with the brim of the burgonet for the same reason in many such museum setpieces). He has a rather simple shoulder design instead of the common larger pauldrons that stretch over a substantial part of the breastplate.
Possibly because this design is cheaper or something, or because he had the armor made piecemeal.
Other versions would have the larger pauldrons, a full arm-harness (with the inside of the elbows being covered with lames) and a unified leg harness where the lower lames of the tassets would just connect directly to the knee protection.

ebf96d3a44ec57cd0a4d582a3d3262ba.jpg

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
That is one heavily armored jockstrap.
Armored codpieces were normal then, pretty important too as you'd be exposed otherwise pretty much no matter how you design the hip area of the armor... Most wore them under their pants though (as seen in the other picture I posted in the spoiler).

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Zweihander light builds too.

Confess, you want this (especially for the garish colors):
a35f4cfaae4b44056f4c0129416e440d.jpg

Bidenhänder and Halberds are considered short weapons for close-in fighting (compared to pikes) and their users (paid double the amount of a regular pike-bro) wore full or three quarters armor and got deployed in the center of the formation (assuming the age of pikes, not before when halberds and bills were still the main armament of a square). They were sent out to storm trenches/earthworks, run down fleeing opponent, defend a broken formation in retreat or defend the center and such according to manuals relating to pike square warefare and formation. Maybe they also bled through the ranks of pikemen once the charge got stuck to help in melee, but I'm not too sure about that one.

In paintings/pictures by themselves you see them without armor often, but a number of battle depictions show them in whatever plate armor design was popular at the time and place. Front rank(s) of pikemen would also be armored up (more or less depending on the timeframe and such), less armored guys (who couldn't afford more armor or whom the guy in charge didn't armor up to save money and underbid rival companies) would be away from the front ranks as they couldn't possible survive initial charges/clashes. Due to the out-of-armor depictions a lot of modern Bidenhänder-related art also seems to depict the Landsknecht Greatswordsmen like this in battle, which is really nonsensical.

So "lightly armored Zweihänder" is really not a landsknecht thing unless money was ultra-tight. Bodyguards in cities and such might fit the bill (I'm not too sure if they wore breastplate + tassets at least or nothing) but not any merc from a decently funded company. How would he survive the close-in fighting he's there for? Sergeants and such would also be armored fully.

Three quarters armor with a burgonet with maybe a falling buffe (seperate piece of kit and museums and artists seem to either forget about them or show them separately a lot) should be the standard. The one below has nothing for the arms and shoulders but strictly speaking a veteran at least should have them. Arms can get hit so easily and shoulders/traps are a prime target for over-the-shoulder halberd or greatsword strikes or lance/sword strikes from cavalry.
The buffe (visor that falls outwards away from the face if opened. Has frontal neck protection as well. Attached separately from the front) is also missing.

The armor below looks more appropriate for a pikema in the second/third ranks or so, or maybe a gunner. A sergeant or other officers (plus maybe a regular veteran with enough money) would probably also have full leg protection in addition to the stuff mentioned above.
So maybe mismatched kit. But you get the idea.
8da638e20c83bd7e606aded7f2663d04.jpg

/autism
Where did I state that I was taking the print I linked as depicting a Landsknecht in typical battle gear (as opposed to showing off in really gay out-of-battlefield outfit)?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Also, bought the DLC and supporters edition. So I guess the devs are now 5 cents richer or something, and Steam and the Government get the rest? :D

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Where did I state that I was taking the print I linked as depicting a Landsknecht in typical battle gear (as opposed to showing off in really gay out-of-battlefield outfit)?

My post was meant to be more of a bit of trivia in response to the conversation in general, no harm meant.

Can't miss a chance to talk about renaissance-era armor, don't blame me man... We all suffer our addictions.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Am I just imagining things or do javelins now come in slightly bigger bundles than before?
I'm pretty certain that they gave you 4 shots before, now its 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom