Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Truthfully the time to have gotten woke to Bethesda was at the very start with Arena. They lied about it. So it was pretty much par for the course there. Even back then people were calling out their shit.
Morrowind was the only title that they didn't lie about.

But they did lie about it. They said it would contain nudity like Daggerfall.

:killit:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
In summary after many patches and DLC/microtransactions it will be fine for what it is, and basicly its just F3/4 with coop. Which is what all the casual console tards wanted right? So the current hysterical feeding frenzy by the media is classic bandwagon jumping hyperbole.

Quite, but even if that's true, that does not matter - the frenzy feeds itself, so this game is DOA. Can't blame the sharks from feeding when they smell blood in the water.

It's what they do.

What is funny is that Bethesda even managed to piss off the circlejerk that is r/F76 . That's an achievement.!!

IDK, for some reason they're paying Reddit money, they're so happy with Bethesda posts
thinking.png

Ea3Rt9z.png

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is the gift that keep on giving. Pure incline. Any events thag lead toward bethesda's destruction is incline.

Also, shipping a bad game is one thing, but handling the PR like headless chicken running around while stoned, this is a pretty impressive feat. I guess, when your PR guy is retard pete hines who clearly give no shit about games (at least howard love or loved games. He cite games like ultima, and even trough his corporate bullshit persona, he actually knew what he is talking about).

juliushorst

Literate
This game is the gift that keep on giving. Pure incline. Any events thag lead toward bethesda's destruction is incline.

Rather optimistic approach. But more probable outcome is that they'll release their next TES and it'll be just like F4: with shit story, no real dialog, infinite pointless grind, no real character progression or stats and as buggy as ever. And all the fanboys will jizz all over it and praise Todd to the hight heavens.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Rather optimistic approach. But more probable outcome is that they'll release their next TES and it'll be just like F4: with shit story, no real dialog, infinite pointless grind, no real character progression or stats and as buggy as ever. And all the fanboys will jizz all over it and praise Todd to the hight heavens.
i dunno, even with fallout 4. It started to sjow some cracks.

If there is a pyramid of bethesda's customer it is like this:
1. Hardcore rpg like codex. Loved daggerfall, morrowind, lost it at oblivion
2. Softcore RPG gamer, that somehow still tolerate oblivion and fallout 3 but in skyrim's time have noticed the cracks in bethesda
3. Softcore general gamer, who probably started with skyrim, but rather disappointed in fallout
4. Casual gamers who like fallout 4, skyrim, etc. And probably disappointed by 76

And you also have fanboys dotted around the 3 and 4 strata.

With their game release, no. 1 mostly lost it in oblivion, no.2 began to grow doubt in skyrim, and disappointed with 4, no.3 and 4 doesnt really seem to mind, but with 76 fiasco, they started to show some doubt too. Mainly, because this shit is gone viral, regardless if someone played it or not. This, hopefully deter any newcomers, and make no. 3 and 4 and some fanbois lost faith.

But yeah, this is one scenario, and public hsve very short term memory, with some shiny stuff, thry could make tes 6 another skyrim

juliushorst

Literate
i dunno, even with fallout 4. It started to sjow some cracks.

If there is a pyramid of bethesda's customer it is like this:
1. Hardcore rpg like codex. Loved daggerfall, morrowind, lost it at oblivion
2. Softcore RPG gamer, that somehow still tolerate oblivion and fallout 3 but in skyrim's time have noticed the cracks in bethesda
3. Softcore general gamer, who probably started with skyrim, but rather disappointed in fallout
4. Casual gamers who like fallout 4, skyrim, etc. And probably disappointed by 76
Well, I don't see myself as super-hardcore but sort of lost it around Oblivion (never completed due to falling asleep while playing) and started actively hate Beth for F3 (completed because hey, Fallout; some dumb shit they put there haunts me to this day).

With their game release, no. 1 mostly lost it in oblivion, no.2 began to grow doubt in skyrim, and disappointed with 4, no.3 and 4 doesnt really seem to mind, but with 76 fiasco, they started to show some doubt too. Mainly, because this shit is gone viral, regardless if someone played it or not. This, hopefully deter any newcomers, and make no. 3 and 4 and some fanbois lost faith.
Still they re-release Skyrim multiple times and it never fails to make money. If we're talking about softcore \ casual gamers, all they'll learn from it is that Fallout is shit but TES is still the best thing in the world.

But yeah, this is one scenario, and public hsve very short term memory, with some shiny stuff, thry could make tes 6 another skyrim
They'll dumb it down even more so that evan a retard with ADHD can play it, fill it with some 'super-hillarious humor' and some 'super-emotional stuff' like the ending of F3 or the kid in F4, hand out some free stuff to some popular streamers and they have na hit in their hands.

juliushorst

Literate
You say that, but in the vidyagame industry in general, you're selling your sequel as well.
Seems to be the case in entertainment industry in general.

Mass Effect 3 sold mostly on the goodwill of Mass Effect 2, which sold on the goodwill-ish of Mass Effect 1.
ME 1 bored and irritated me (I came expecting RPG and got an action game with RPG elements and the side content was terrible). Bought ME 2 based on story premise ('you work for a minor villain faction from ME 1'); came expecting a decent action game with RPG elements and got a good action game with RPG elements. Bought ME 3 because hey, I already have 1 and 2, so let's see how it all ends - got a decent action game with RPG elements and shit ending stolen from Matrix. With the game and the free backlash that came with it (and was more entertaining than the game itself) I feel I got my money's worth.

I mean look at ME: Andromeda. It died on launch and that wasn't because of the bugs, the initial rush of "OH MY GOD A NEW MASS EFFECT GAME" should have put in at least a million. But it didn't. Because they fucking killed the hype and interest in the brand and product.
I think it's more complex. Sure, what you say is true for some part of the playerbase but there is another factor: they let people test the game on their subscription program before it was even out. The game was shit and the word of mouth was out there before anybody could even buy the shit. Before the game was even out anybody could see:
- There are no real ties to 1-3,
- Character models and animations are trash,
- The game is bug-filled mess,
- Possible progressive \ SJW themes,
- The villain seems boring and so does the story.
There are ways to market the game again. Make some cheeky references to it being a terrible idea, say "BACK TO SINGLE PLAYER, WHERE WE EXCEL" and so on, but Starfield/TES6 is going to take a hit from this. You cannot produce garbage and get consistently good sales game after game. Most publishers do not understand this and whine and whine and whine.
And yet, after 'Murder mystery turned Aztec vs. AI war on humanity', 'Saw III ripoff', 'Willem Dafoe and a hot mess of a story' and 'Blade Runner \ Animatrix ripoff' David Cage still gets to make his crappy games to some degree of hype.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bought ME 3 because hey, I already have 1 and 2, so let's see how it all ends - got a decent action game with RPG elements and shit ending stolen from Matrix.
Man, this still makes me angry...
I sometimes feel like replaying the games, trying some different stuff... but then I know how it all ends, and that just entirely removes any desire to even start the game.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And yet, after 'Murder mystery turned Aztec vs. AI war on humanity', 'Saw III ripoff', 'Willem Dafoe and a hot mess of a story' and 'Blade Runner \ Animatrix ripoff' David Cage still gets to make his crappy games to some degree of hype.

Because mainstream is still deeply impressed with highly well modelled 3d environments and are willing to buy shit just to experience that even if everything else (gameplay, story) sucks.
Nobody cared about David Cage before Heavy Rain, which was when they got the budget they needed to make the truly movie like interactive experience they were after.
Omikron sold like shit, Fahrenheit had moderately decent sales for what it was but it wasn't a particularly big hit.
Heck, even their more popular games barely manage to get sales on the level of a souls game, so whatever hype you perceives isn't really correlated in consumers actually buying and playing.

And graphics, being those things only saving grace, cannot become Bethesda's saving grace. Beth's shit already looked bad in Morrowind era (yes, the water shaders were nice, but look at those faces? do they look even remotely normal?) and with every game release they kept losing grounds and looking worse and worse than games of comparable budget of their respective era. Fallout 76 has such horrible performance for such an average looking game. They focused entirely on scenic distant top of the mountain wide forest angle for promoted screenshots because anything seen up close looks disgusting. Animations are still worse than Half Life 2 or Vampire Bloodlines era animation. Bethesda, budget and copies sold wise, is a true AAA giant, but in terms of technical chops, they are the butt of the joke and while its fanbase gave a pass on this, that was on the condition that the games were still the larping paradise they all were attracted to. FO76 and its empty wilderness wasn't their larp paradise hence the extreme reaction to Beth's faults that they were previously willing to ignore.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So Bethesda made a Fallout-based game that's shit.
That's not the surprise, the surprise is that it's a widespread shit this time that made it popular to hate Bethesda, which is something new.

This. F4 already had many of the problems F76 has now, like ugliness, bugginess, stupidity and the general feel of low-quality. Sure there were some murmurs from the fandom but it was still IGN 10/10 GOTY Citizen Kane for that year and it sold more than cocaine. The sudden awakening is p. shocking. Maybe Bethestards saw how Biodrones shat on Andromeda and Star Wars manchildren rebelled against EA and thought it's finally time for them to pull their tiny heads out of their tumescent asses too.

ZeniBot

Cipher

If you listen to some of the pundits in the industry like giant bomb, Jim Sterling ect they've been saying that this won't cut it with the fanbase. If Bethesda were to save face they would need to release a title that surpasses Skyrim, but we all know that won't happen. What will happen is that TES6 will turn into a action based Souls game with emphasis on settlement building and Starfield will be a shooter with minimal RPG elements and I'll even say probably won't support proper streaming either you know something they had working in the original Planet 10 which Starfield is based on (because Zenimax spent millions on that game and they're just reusing the design docs to save money) but because they're using gamebryo I completely doubt they'll get it working in time. Its taken Chris Robberts 6+ years to get a proper streaming system working that supports global coordinates I seriously doubt Todd can get this shit working in less time with a smaller budget and smaller team. Hell even Star Citizens implementation is still really shit.

Todd will retire once Starfield releases and he'll fade away the same way Molyneux did. For all the money Zenimax has they are the most cheapest jewish company I've ever seen in the industry. They've been operating like they've been going out of business since Morrowind. At some stage they should've reinvested in their product and trained their staff but instead all they've used money for is to compete with Rockstar and Ubisoft for bus and billboard advertisements.

I have 0 confidence that Bethesda will be able to recover from this blunder. Its only downhill here, same with Bioware. People are assuming that Bethesda can steer out of the way of the iceberg but we all know that their ship is too slow and clunky to make that kind of course correction. Bethesda has no flexibility, which is why their PR has made a statement and they're sticking to it, when a good PR firm would be flexible and try to steer their studio towards a saving face outcome. Instead all we're seeing is Bethesda doubling down again and again like they always did. That might have worked in the past but it won't work any more. No ones scared of them, No one respects them and no one will tolerate them.

juliushorst

Literate
Todd will retire once Starfield releases and he'll fade away the same way Molyneux did. For all the money Zenimax has they are the most cheapest jewish company I've ever seen in the industry. They've been operating like they've been going out of business since Morrowind. At some stage they should've reinvested in their product and trained their staff but instead all they've used money for is to compete with Rockstar and Ubisoft for bus and billboard advertisements.
Well, Todd is just the face we put on everything wrong with Bethesda but even if he retires they still have shit engine, shit world designers and shit writers.
I have 0 confidence that Bethesda will be able to recover from this blunder. Its only downhill here, same with Bioware. People are assuming that Bethesda can steer out of the way of the iceberg but we all know that their ship is too slow and clunky to make that kind of course correction. Bethesda has no flexibility, which is why their PR has made a statement and they're sticking to it, when a good PR firm would be flexible and try to steer their studio towards a saving face outcome. Instead all we're seeing is Bethesda doubling down again and again like they always did. That might have worked in the past but it won't work any more. No ones scared of them, No one respects them and no one will tolerate them.
Similar to what's happening with Star Wars... and the fact that a mediocre Star Wars movie tanked after being released shortly after a really awful one restores some faith in mankind. Still I'm afraid even if both Starfield and TESVI bomb it won't be enough to but Beth out of its misery.

ADL

Prophet
In a way, I actually respect the fact that they're not even pretending to make an RPG with this one. Gotta be honest, I'm enjoying it. The deck system is cool but needs the ability to scrap and exchange cards when you're desperate for something in your build, it'd be nice if there was a deck planner in game too. It's the most interesting landmass they've done since Vvardenfell (not saying much but still, I enjoyed exploring Apalachia) but even the story is more intriguing than their other recent games. It's just a shame Bethesda Austin is ultimately going to get blamed and crucified for this. A lot of those guys know their shit, have plenty of experience and it seems like they were just put in a bad position with terrible tech and I'm assuming bad direction coming from Maryland. I'm pretty sure I can't attribute Bethesda Austin for the fact that there's no NPCs and there's no way in hell that the guys responsible for Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Star Wars Galaxies pitched the neutered PVP concept we got.

Daggerfall>Morrowind>76>FO3>Oblivion>Skyrim>Arena>FO4

As I've said before, the multiplayer is the least offensive and buggy part of the game. In typical Bethesda fashion, other studios handle their properties infinitely better than they do themselves and they always end up getting fucked.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Fallout 3 has far worse dialogue and plot than Fo76. Otherwise they are pretty even it seems. Havent played Fo76 though and i really want to forget Fo3. Moira, Little Lamplight etc i hope benzos will wash it away.

Deleted member 7219

Fallout 3 has far worse dialogue and plot than Fo76. Otherwise they are pretty even it seems. Havent played Fo76 though and i really want to forget Fo3. Moira, Little Lamplight etc i hope benzos will wash it away.

If you haven’t played 76 how do you know it has a better plot and dialogue than F3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom