Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

hell bovine

Arcane
Well, it is a different game using different systems and calling for somewhat different tactical methods, so it is something of an apples to oranges comparison, but you are the one who made the comparison in the first place.
And I stand by it: fighting a lich in scs-BG2 was more difficult than fighting the one in Swordflight. But what I disagree with is that you can emulate that experience in NWN. You can copy the enemy abilities & spells, and even improve their ai (though to be fair, liches in unmodded BG2 were quite dumb too). But there is never going to be anything "tactical" about not being able to control your party.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm perplexed about what "full party control"-advocate Lilura finds dumb about these posts. :M

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished up Cormyrean nights, might need another cool module to play. Suggestions?

Edit: Don't want to install too many things to make it work.

Kallinyo

Novice
Just finished up Cormyrean nights, might need another cool module to play. Suggestions?

If you like Conan The Barbarian, then you'd like the modules that were based on it. Other than that, there's the new upcoming BG2 remake that'll be on NWN 2. Though, I'm not sure when they'll release it, they have been updating it.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
And I stand by it: fighting a lich in scs-BG2 was more difficult than fighting the one in Swordflight. But what I disagree with is that you can emulate that experience in NWN...

So my lich is too wimpy and should be more like an SCS/BG2 lich...but you say it is not actually possible to make anything like that in NWN so...I have no idea what your actual point is, other than that you like BG2 better than NWN, which is a perfectly reasonable opinion, but seems to be rather gratuitously expressed in this context.

You might give A Tangled Web a try. Good modules and hak-free, so an easy install.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And I stand by it: fighting a lich in scs-BG2 was more difficult than fighting the one in Swordflight. But what I disagree with is that you can emulate that experience in NWN...

So my lich is too wimpy and should be more like an SCS/BG2 lich...but you say it is not actually possible to make anything like that in NWN so...I have no idea what your actual point is, other than that you like BG2 better than NWN, which is a perfectly reasonable opinion, but seems to be rather gratuitously expressed in this context.

You might give A Tangled Web a try. Good modules and hak-free, so an easy install.
And Sands of Fate for that high level challenge.
https://neverwintervault.org/tags/sands-fate

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
I'm playing a module called Blackguard. It's nice and straight to the point.

Also I like how it is forcing me to be an evil character, really refreshing change also challenging me as I usually play a LG or TN character. First time using a Rogue..... maybe they aren't as worthless as I thought the skill dumps and sneak attack is really good.

I'll give it a go, looks really well made with loads of documentation.

And Sands of Fate for that high level challenge.
https://neverwintervault.org/tags/sands-fate

I don't have a backup of my HoTU character but I'd be very interested in this one. Unsure how they could challenge a player character after beating HoTU you get so much gear and levels it's hard to imagine.

This is why NWN will always be one of my favourite games so many modules to experience and always something new.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unsure how they could challenge a player character after beating HoTU you get so much gear and levels it's hard to imagine.
Hard monsters, particularly in the second one. Mind you, I was playing a full barbarian and I don't ever bother optimizing.

hell bovine

Arcane

That you can improve your lich to be not as dumb as it is now, but unless you also can give the player control over Zarala's (whom you enforce on the player in chapter one and three) equally dumb ai, combat will still be a clusterfuck. I don't doubt that Swordflight "is regularly held to be one of the hardest NWN modules ever", but how much of this difficulty is due to the fact that you can't do something as simple as give your henchman an order, and have them actually obey it?

If I make a mage in BG2 and hire an npc cleric, or if I make a cleric and hire an npc mage - neither choice limits me as a player, because I can still use the same tactics. You cannot rely on spellcaster ai in NWN to do their job, neither as an enemy, or as a henchman.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Lilura, is it possible that one of the bugfix mods on your page actually adds new spells to NWN2?

The reason I'm asking is because I appear to have a Time Stop spell in my NWN2 game, but apparently it doesn't exist in the base game (I found this out by chance while I was perusing some meta-game information):

Gv8r19i.jpg

From the looks of it, it works just fine. Again, I wouldn't have actually realized this was perhaps some sort of mod addition if I hadn't actively looked some spell information up.

Of the mods on your list, I have the bolded NWN2 Fixes (the player-master.zip), Reeron's Spell Fixes and Improvements, MetaPrepa, and a few FX mods to tone down the garish buff effects.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Never mind the above -- it's Reeron's (excellent) mod that does this. From one of the change log files (Spells.2da):

Row 185 (Timestop)- Changed Wiz_Sorc (column 16) from **** to 9. Changed Innate (column 18) from **** to 9.

Inf0mercial

Augur
By the way, when you get the book in chapter 3 for the human path if you have greatsword feats you need to take the items then reload for it to appear because there is no room in the container, i figured i might as well finish, the only reason i even knew about the sword is because i like to read the walk through before i leave an area to make sure i don't miss anything.

I have like 3 characters near the final stretch of Chapter three just need to shove them over the finish line.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Just finished A tangled web and was about to flame rogueknight333 for it being unfinished but then I saw part 4 of Swordflight is out and need to play that right now. I know what I am doing this weekend!

This is the character I beat Tangled web 1&2 with. Skills are all Rogue skills for tumble/persuade/appraise dumps.

pwtDMEQ.jpg

If you're wondering why I have Blade of the Gladiator I swapped my +2 generic longsword with 1d6 fire damage that you enchant in the fire realm for Blade of the Gladiator when I imported from part 1 to part 2. Would you consider this cheating?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
By the way, when you get the book in chapter 3 for the human path if you have greatsword feats you need to take the items then reload for it to appear because there is no room in the container, i figured i might as well finish, the only reason i even knew about the sword is because i like to read the walk through before i leave an area to make sure i don't miss anything...

Just to clarify, the greatsword actually was there all along, just on the second page of the container. Multiple pages appear if not everything in a container fits on the first, and you can then find arrows to scroll through them and a page count at the top of the display. Unfortunately these kinds of over-stuffed containers occur very rarely in NWN so it is easy to overlook it when they do.

Just finished A tangled web and was about to flame rogueknight333 for it being unfinished...

Sorry about that, I was thinking about mentioning it being unfinished, but I was kind of in a hurry when posting the link.

DarkShinobi

Novice
With the launch of Swordflight chapter 4 I'm willing to finally play the entire series, I think I'm going with a pure Wizard, any recommended spells ? Going pure Wizard will make me lack in social skills, is that a thing to worry about in this module? Investing some points in charisma and also in Persuade (cross-class) is enough to get positive checks?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
With the launch of Swordflight chapter 4 I'm willing to finally play the entire series...

The series is still not finished, just in case that was not clear.

I think I'm going with a pure Wizard, any recommended spells ? Going pure Wizard will make me lack in social skills, is that a thing to worry about in this module? Investing some points in charisma and also in Persuade (cross-class) is enough to get positive checks?

For the most part, spells or other talents that are useful in in NWN generally will also be so in Swordflight. The resting restrictions do make long-lasting buffs particularly valuable to casters.

There are numerous opportunities to make use of social skills in Swordflight (a lot more than the average for NWN modules) so they can be valuable, but it is certainly possible to get by without any at all. Developing Persuade as a cross class skill will make it largely impossible to succeed at some of the most difficult checks, though you should succeed at some of them that way. Basically you would often succeed at the easy checks, sometimes succeed at the medium checks on a good roll, and mostly or entirely fail the most difficult (which also tend to be the most rewarding).

Inf0mercial

Augur
rogueknight333 so the fountain is kind of broken i shoved in far more then 100k and kept getting xp, now i need to reload because i was tapping away waiting for it to end and kept getting xp, unless your intention was to hand out three free levels here?

On the plus side hey my Build finally matured at level 24, Maxed out bard song and cursed song Let you mitigate lack of AC on a Fighter/Bard with a Greatsword and your damage output is enough that you churn through most everyone around you, i just hit the minimum level recommended for chapter 4 yay, i still have that entire frozen hellscape to hit though.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
rogueknight333 so the fountain is kind of broken i shoved in far more then 100k and kept getting xp, now i need to reload because i was tapping away waiting for it to end and kept getting xp, unless your intention was to hand out three free levels here?

If you mean the fountain on the Celestial Planes in Ch. 3, the XP you could get from it was supposed to be capped, after putting in c. 8000 gold, but actually was not, due to a bug. This should be fixed as of the latest update (v. 1.04) but if you do not have the latest version or you were playing from a save that pre-dates it, it would still be an issue.

Zeriel

Arcane
Wow, I finally got NWN to look decent on widescreen resolutions. I'll take back the nasty things I said about it's UI to Lilura, it's actually pretty good now.

ktcCGjb.jpg

It's a shame EE ended up being a completely dysfunctional mess that breaks the sound engine and plenty of other shit, but at least the original version is still solid. It's really unfortunate since there was one thing the EE did really well (dynamic contrast and other shaders, it makes a lot of areas come alive and look 5~ years ahead of its time in visuals), but it's not worth all the stuff the EE fucks up.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's a shame EE ended up being a completely dysfunctional mess that breaks the sound engine and plenty of other shit, but at least the original version is still solid. It's really unfortunate since there was one thing the EE did really well (dynamic contrast and other shaders, it makes a lot of areas come alive and look 5~ years ahead of its time in visuals), but it's not worth all the stuff the EE fucks up.

EE is still in active development and is far more playable than current NWN imo.

Zeriel

Arcane

EE is still in active development and is far more playable than current NWN imo.

I mean if you prefer it that's fine, but it's a fact the sound system doesn't work as intended at all. That's a pretty fucking core feature. You're getting a completely fucked up experience of the original game if you play EE, but I guess some people can ignore the fact that sound is leapfrogging between their speakers when they rotate their camera one inch. Personally it's a dealbreaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom