Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Reapa

Doom Preacher
but this is not a mistake. it's a cash grab scheme. there's no ambiguity to it. bethesda didn't try to make a game. they tried and succeded in making a very quick and very low effort buck.
the evidence for this is overwhelming: a multiplayer game without a push to talk button, a multiplayer game without GM tools, statements in which they boast about how many people were stupid enough to buy the game despite there being no game, the lack of content, the price drops after release, the "horse armor" (blue paint for 18 bucks), plastic power armor helmets in plastic bags for 200 bucks...

ZeniBot

Cipher
Don't forget to buy Fallout the Board Game, Fallout the Cooking book, Fallout the Lunchbox... ect
(this may seem like I'm referencing spaceballs but these things all exist, Bethesda has gone overboard with merchandising and its all shit).
Edit: I just looked up the Bethesda gear page.. SWEET MOTHER OF GOD WHAT THE HELL.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
you can buy a working fridge for 200$ made of metal and with a compressor and power cable. you can buy a psu, a cpu, a motherboard, a working cellphone, a car radio, a flat screen tv, etc for 200$ or less. all made of other materials than fucking plastic.
when i saw the youtube video in which some dude told the story about the plastic bag i was shocked when he mentioned that the fucking power armor helmet was made out of plastic. when selling such a cheap piece of crap with no functionality whatsoever the least you could do would be to make it out of some metal to at least give it some weight and durability.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It appears that the decline is just a language issue if big companies make the same mistake you do when gathering feedback from the community.
Uh.. no? You are confusing exploration and writing. Exploration is just the act of walking around and discovering things you didn't know about. The civilization series is a prime example of a 4X game (eXplore/eXpand/eXploit/eXterminate) and I don't remember people critizing the exploration in those games for lacking interesting NPC dialogs...

Exploration can still be done great without any NPCs, through interesting scenery and environmental storytelling. I for one had a lot of fun with "exploring" in the System Shock games.

It's the good writing Bethesda lacks. As you said yourself, if an NPC just sends you on a half-assed fetch quest, just to force you into "exploring" a location, he might as well be left out of the game.

That's why I said "Bethesda took the wrong conclusions". Apparently they are under the impression, backed by player statistics, that their radiant quest system was the reason players spent so many hours in their game. Just because someone has done 50 "get bruddahood tech from $radiant_loc$" quests, it doesn't mean he loves them. They are fillers. Give you some minor purpose when you power up your Xbawx to play for 30 mins.
They might have served the purpose of guiding players to locations they hadn't been yet, but it's certainly not enough to carry a game by itself for the masses.

Bethesda misjudged that. That, and the fact the MMO players have different expectations as well.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i'm not confusing shit. you said it yourself, exploration is the act of walking around and discovering things you didn't know about. if there is good exploration and bad exploration, the things you discover is what makes the difference. the fact that exploration is tied to the writing doesn't change anything.
like i said before:

When people praise your game and they say they loved the exploration, it just might mean they found something interesting while walking around!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
DtMUj_1UwAExvsa.jpg:large

juliushorst

Literate
1. I already said those things all failed.

Well, Oddworld was made with a franchise in mind and wasn't a complete failure.

3. Okay so we're going in circles now. I've explained to you many times that you cannot get away with this shit, and that Bethesda has irrevocably damaged their brand. You're saying "n-n-n-nuh uh" with no reasoning. I did say they'd potentially bring some of it back, but lets be honest my dude, you cannot burn an audience this bad and get away with it and trends in the past show this shit.
I don't even know why the fuck we argue. We both want to see Bethesda crash and burn, you are just more optimistic about the damage done by FO76.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This was the absolute trainwreck I was hoping out of Fallout 4, but that game was so thoroughly meh that it couldn't even elicit this kind of response.
I wonder if Todd's doing it for us. Like he knows the best part of this business isn't in the actual games, but the fallout from upset man-children that, for some reason, still buy the shit he's selling.
I also wonder how much money Fallout 76 makes them. My theory is that they're done with Fallout and they're just selling the dead, dusty ol' cow to see how much they can get for it. I bet more than they paid for it.
It's not like any of this is actually going to hurt them. At the start of next year, just one Elder Scrolls trailer, and nobody will remember a thing.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
The karmic balance is restored. Obsidian is avenged.

K3jMsvF.png

d8asbIH.png

If Bethesda were smart they would kick Pagliarulo out and hire Avellone, Sawyer etc... and would put them in charge of the Fallout brand.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
FO3 is shit. FO4 is shit. etc. Why is it suddenly *this* Fallout game that gets low scores? That was the only point I was trying to make (and yeah, I agree that in general the MP survival games are pretty poor quality. Lots of people still like them though)
There's degrees of shit, like there's degrees of phoning it in. You could get some shitty cheese to eat on a plate and you could get an old sponge with remains of finger nails sticking out and a label that says "cheese" on it. Or someone could try to copy an essay off of Wikipedia, trying to rewrite it a bit and use some different words, or they could just write "FUCK YOU!" 1000 times on a piece of paper and pretend that's the job done.

In summary after many patches and DLC/microtransactions it will be fine for what it is, and basicly its just F3/4 with coop. Which is what all the casual console tards wanted right? So the current hysterical feeding frenzy by the media is classic bandwagon jumping hyperbole.
How the fuck is it "basically just F3/4"? It's the most retarded and autismal parts of those boiled down to their very essence. Say what you want about them, but they had a bare minimum amount of development effort put into them. They had some-sort-of-kinda main story/plot to follow, NPCs you could talk to with a face and a voice and questlines and scripts and stuff, even some surprising stuff with one or two things in every game. Also companions, factions, some larger cities and ecosystems populated by NPCs and then they had boring unending subway tunnels or copy/pasted houses and dungeons with the same layouts inbetween. They skipped all of those previous parts that some people could at least find some comfort or enjoyment in and phoned it in by replacing them with said boring copy/pasted environments, houses and autistic shooting of the same respawning enemies and looting of pots that they tended to overlook for the other parts but couldn't overlook anymore since that's literally all this "game" is.

Black

Arcane
http://archive.is/PrN6C
Bethesda bans Fallout 76 players for life after shocking in-game homophobic attack
Sigh. 2018 and people are still being publicly homophobic and giggling about it like a bunch of ignorant school children.
This is an actual homophobic attack taking place in the real world. That it was done online doesn't change the fact that it was a group of people harassing another group of people over their sexuality.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
the story LITERALLY MADE NO SENSE, with the reapers ATTACKING EARTH FIRST

Shepard defeated Sovereign and blocked the Citadel delaying the invasion, wiped out the sleeping agents (the collectors) they left behind, again delayed the invasion by throwing a fucking asteroid against the portal, blowing up an entire solar system.

If I was a Reaper, Earth would be the first planet I would destroy.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
http://archive.is/PrN6C
Bethesda bans Fallout 76 players for life after shocking in-game homophobic attack
Sigh. 2018 and people are still being publicly homophobic and giggling about it like a bunch of ignorant school children.
This is an actual homophobic attack taking place in the real world. That it was done online doesn't change the fact that it was a group of people harassing another group of people over their sexuality.
DtRMOk5VAAMAdE_

:lol:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, people get banned for being annoying shitheads in an online game.
It's almost 11 here, but this is hardly news.

What would be more newsworthy is that the game seems to lack any in-game capability for reporting. Then again, I don't think anyone would still expect the game to have features :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom